Winter Is Finally Coming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OB1🤙

Breaking Good
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a chill in the air, the Santa Anas are blowing, and winter is just around the corner.

Gonna go take my board to the shop to get tuned.

Finally. FINALLY.

I've been hiking all summer, and I'm bored. Bring it on, Old Man Winter. Bring it on.

Can't wait to hit this-

img_0191.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you HB. Snow in the mountains already. Will be hiking/skining for runs in a month or so.
Wifey just got a new GNU banana board with magnatraction. Can't wait to see her rip it. I also split an older salomon board for her new backcountry setup. Gonna be sick.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one from California, or any other sunny state should ever be posting about how much they love winter :laugh: Some of us will have to dig out our cars and drive in the snow

last year was sick in summit county!! lots of snow in march.

I'm in California now and am looking forward to getting in some days at Mammoth/Tahoe once the season starts. :thumbup:

Loveland and A-Basin opened today, so the snow season is officially on in North America.

A couple resorts around here usually open in the first or second week of November on blown snow, and it's such a complete clusterf^(k of idiocy at these places that I bide my time for powder days at my "secret" hill (the one in the pic above, which none of the local kooks seem to know or care about) or bite the bullet and drive the 5 hours up to Mammoth or June.

Really, people here crack me up. Me: "Wow, Baldy got 2 feet of snow last night." Them: "Uhhh, cool, I guess. How's their terrain park?"

Noy- I have every intention of finally getting a splitboard this year, if I can convince my wife that a new board/skins/crampons/axe/shovel/transceiver/probe is a necessary expense on a resident's budget, and if I can find people to get at it with. Most of the hiking I've done over the summer is checking out potential backcountry/sidecountry terrain out here, which is surprisingly plentiful and underutilized, considering it's frigging LA we're talking about.

So close...

I'm glad to hear there's some backcountry around here. They can take all the kickers and rails they want just let me find some fresh snow and I'm good to go. To be honest I haven't done jack in the mountains since moving out here in July but that definitely needs to change.

Hard to believe in winter though cause it was 100 in the inland empire today!

I'm glad to hear there's some backcountry around here. They can take all the kickers and rails they want just let me find some fresh snow and I'm good to go. To be honest I haven't done jack in the mountains since moving out here in July but that definitely needs to change.

Hard to believe in winter though cause it was 100 in the inland empire today!

This is one hour's drive from West LA:

img_0201.jpg

Noy- I have every intention of finally getting a splitboard this year, if I can convince my wife that a new board/skins/crampons/axe/shovel/transceiver/probe is a necessary expense on a resident's budget, and if I can find people to get at it with. Most of the hiking I've done over the summer is checking out potential backcountry/sidecountry terrain out here, which is surprisingly plentiful and underutilized, considering it's frigging LA we're talking about.

HB, do you have an old board that you like? If so, have someone split it. Throw on a voile split kit and your good to go minus the shovel probe beacon, etc. But if you can't find anyone to go with, well then all you need is the split board, right.;)

HB, do you have an old board that you like? If so, have someone split it. Throw on a voile split kit and your good to go minus the shovel probe beacon, etc. But if you can't find anyone to go with, well then all you need is the split board, right.;)

I think my current board (158.5) is a little too small to split, but I was thinking of just biting it and getting a new Voile around 166 or so. I definitely have seen those split kits before and given them serious thought though.

As far as hitting it alone- I've been wrestling with this all summer. I'm confident in my ability to skin/ride solo safely in the backcountry, especially around here where slab avalanche conditions rarely (but do occasionally) occur. I just don't know if I could forgive myself if I got into trouble and didn't have someone watching my back. If I was single, all day long. Married, my ass would be grass.

We'll see. She wasn't too stoked on me hiking all these peaks solo, but I've been doing it anyway, so...

This is one hour's drive from West LA:

the peak in the background is a sweet bit of alpine!! It looks like it could get a little rocky but if a good chute develops or if it flattens out a bit below the tree line to build up the snow (while still keeping enough slope to ride) it would be a great run.

the peak in the background is a sweet bit of alpine!! It looks like it could get a little rocky but if a good chute develops or if it flattens out a bit below the tree line to build up the snow (while still keeping enough slope to ride) it would be a great run.

Trip report of a descent down one of those chutes from my favorite local ski blog- http://www.sierradescents.com/skiing/san-antonio/2006/girly-man-chute.php

And here's a pic I took last week on the way down from the summit- gives a better perspective of the terrain in the bowl.

Baldy063.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking back through some of Noy's photos from his Alaska trip and it really makes me homesick.

After growing up in BFE West Texas, I got out of high school and moved to Alaska. First Haines then Anchorage. I lived there for 10 years of heavenly backcountry. Endless pow.

Never did the whirlybird thing, just slogged it up. Didn't even have the money for proper equipment. Just a cheap board, my firefighter boots, a used green cotton Army jumpsuit, and a 3-foot-long fluorescent touque. Eventually saved up for a Burton Split 66 with skins.

4-5 runs a day. 5 minute walk from my Anchorage house to the base of the Chugach State Park where Noy's photos were taken. Less than that from my Haines apartment to the mountain in this photo.

Not much use for the avalanche beacon or for partners. Backcountry was a solitary experience for this young'n. No Huck'n and Jive'n neither. Just long lazy runs with laid back turns. Real Zen like ya see.

Broke a binding on this hill once. Ever do a 3000 ft Alaskan run, in deep pow, with just a front binding?

HB a little advice if you take up backcountry. When you get to the base of the hill, always dig a hole in the snow and bury a 6 pack, or a 5th of Wild Turkey, or hell even one of Zip's six inch long doobers. When you are almost to the top of the run and the whumpin starts you can think about that sweet nectar at the bottom of the hill just a callin your name. Turn around and get out safely knowing that the run will still be there on your next golden weekend and you will still be alive to enjoy it.

IMG_2643.jpg

(I can't take credit for the photo, but it is a great shot of both my backyard and my front yard in Haines. The front yard was a great place to SCUBA in the winter, and the backyard... well that is the whole point of this post.)

-pod

p.s. Will pay GOOD money for a Sims Fakie 158 circa 1994 black with gold flames at either end. For sentimental reasons.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think my current board (158.5) is a little too small to split, but I was thinking of just biting it and getting a new Voile around 166 or so. I definitely have seen those split kits before and given them serious thought though.

As far as hitting it alone- I've been wrestling with this all summer. I'm confident in my ability to skin/ride solo safely in the backcountry, especially around here where slab avalanche conditions rarely (but do occasionally) occur. I just don't know if I could forgive myself if I got into trouble and didn't have someone watching my back. If I was single, all day long. Married, my ass would be grass.

We'll see. She wasn't too stoked on me hiking all these peaks solo, but I've been doing it anyway, so...

158 is on the short side but if you are not a large person it may be fine. I ride a 159 and 164 on the groomers but my BC board is also 164. I'm 180 lbs and 6'0". I have found the old philosophy of big boards in the BC is cumbersome if you are out there all day. I also enjoy the manueverability of the slightly smaller boards. I took a 164 and a 168 to AK and I enjoyed the 164 much more. It didn't matter how deep the white stuff was either.

As far as going it alone in the BC, I wouldn't recommend it. Not just b/c of avy danger but there are lots of things that can go wrong back there and one extra person can mean the difference b/w life and death. Like periodoc experienced a broken binding (I broke one as well and luckily I had stuff to make it work so I could get down to the car) that could have been big trouble. My buddy hit a huge rock coming out of a chute and broke his binding on the backside of the mtn around 3pm. We got to the car around midnight. That would have sucked alone. A broken leg could mean death. You get what I mean I'm sure. You have too much going to waste it. There is no run worth ending it all.

Oh, as far as the splitboards go. Check out the other makes, Prior, burton (I don't know how this board rides), etc. I found the voile very stiff and unforgiving. THe Prior is much better IMHO.
check out: http://www.splitboard.com/site/Splitboard_Home/Splitboard_Home.html

Read up on them here. Most folks like the voile mojo here but I disagree completely.
Spliting your own board is works pretty well and the nice thing is you know you like the board. The task is not hard but you need someone that has done it b/4 to get it right the first time. PM me and we can discuss this in more detail. This probably isn't the forum for this, unless more people are interested.

Heres what I do in fall and winter...pic is from last Saturday in Bayou Bienveneau off of the MRGO. Hello Mister Redfish!:thumbup:

2hro3du.jpg
[/IMG]

I was looking back through some of Noy's photos from his Alaska trip and it really makes me homesick.

After growing up in BFE West Texas, I got out of high school and moved to Alaska. First Haines then Anchorage. I lived there for 10 years of heavenly backcountry. Endless pow.

Never did the whirlybird thing, just slogged it up. Didn't even have the money for proper equipment. Just a cheap board, my firefighter boots, a used green cotton Army jumpsuit, and a 3-foot-long fluorescent touque. Eventually saved up for a Burton Split 66 with skins.

4-5 runs a day. 5 minute walk from my Anchorage house to the base of the Chugach State Park where Noy's photos were taken. Less than that from my Haines apartment to the mountain in this photo.

Not much use for the avalanche beacon or for partners. Backcountry was a solitary experience for this young'n. No Huck'n and Jive'n neither. Just long lazy runs with laid back turns. Real Zen like ya see.

Broke a binding on this hill once. Ever do a 3000 ft Alaskan run, in deep pow, with just a front binding?

HB a little advice if you take up backcountry. When you get to the base of the hill, always dig a hole in the snow and bury a 6 pack, or a 5th of Wild Turkey, or hell even one of Zip's six inch long doobers. When you are almost to the top of the run and the whumpin starts you can think about that sweet nectar at the bottom of the hill just a callin your name. Turn around and get out safely knowing that the run will still be there on your next golden weekend and you will still be alive to enjoy it.

IMG_2643.jpg

(I can't take credit for the photo, but it is a great shot of both my backyard and my front yard in Haines. The front yard was a great place to SCUBA in the winter, and the backyard... well that is the whole point of this post.)

-pod

p.s. Will pay GOOD money for a Sims Fakie 158 circa 1994 black with gold flames at either end. For sentimental reasons.
Try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMS-158-cm-Men...temQQimsxZ20081015?IMSfp=TL081015162010r34906

Noy, Seriously, I got scared just watching that dude. And I'm sitting on my couch.

WILL SOMEBODY READ ME A STORY? I'M SCARED......holy s hit I couldnt do that for a million bucks....ten million.....:scared:

AHHHHHHHHHHH........Whew! I feel better now:

2s77w9f.jpg
[/IMG]

I was blown away the first time I saw this clip! So amazing. The line he takes to transition from the top into the chute is just perfect. no room for error. I wonder how long he studied the face before dropping in. Even if you've looked at something 100x from far away, it never looks the same when you're on top of it and it's so easy to get mixed up when looking down at routes for the first time. awesome vid.

I've never been to alaska but here's a pic from a powder day in austria. The resort is in Finkenberg, there was a cable car to the top of this peak with a little hike to the edge. Everyone went down a groomer on the back side but the front face was really nice. we rode it all day fresh tracks. I like hiking but if you can take a chair up and still get fresh snow it's pretty sweet too. :-D.

l_3eccde1da46cb92e44754aebb567c394.jpg

really not as steep as it looks, the best part was that there were so many different places to drop in you could ride it over and over and not take the same route.

Last edited:
It's official- Mammoth Mountain opens tomorrow.

So, so pissed I'm on call this Saturday.

But maybe the Saturday after that....

FINALLY.