Winter Semester in Tennessee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RackingHorse

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard of some universities offering courses over winter break. I know that the University of North Carolina at Greensboro does this. But, do any schools in Tennessee do this? I am in a rush to get my pre-reqs done and need to find somewhere that does this.
 
I have heard of some universities offering courses over winter break. I know that the University of North Carolina at Greensboro does this. But, do any schools in Tennessee do this? I am in a rush to get my pre-reqs done and need to find somewhere that does this.

I think this depends on the courses you're needing to take. My undergraduate school offered some winter courses but none of the harder science courses (like organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc) over the winter term. This was a large university, too. If you haven't applied yet, I would advise you not to try to cram the science pre-reqs into the winter term. Summer terms are bad enough; I can't imagine trying to take a heavy science course in only a month!
 
I think this depends on the courses you're needing to take. My undergraduate school offered some winter courses but none of the harder science courses (like organic chemistry, biochemistry, etc) over the winter term. This was a large university, too. If you haven't applied yet, I would advise you not to try to cram the science pre-reqs into the winter term. Summer terms are bad enough; I can't imagine trying to take a heavy science course in only a month!

I took genetics may term which boiled down to 14 days... 3 hour lectures every weekday with tests on Fridays and lecture after the tests. The 14th day was the final so we learned everything in 13 days. It was awful. I would not do it again and I dont even know why the college offered genetics as a 14 day class. It was crazy. I would stick to semesters and summers.

If you are trying to do pre-reqs as fast as you can. Just do pre-reqs instead of seeking a bachelors degree. A lot of vet schools are ok without a degree if you have the science courses and experience to back yourself up.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took genetics may term which boiled down to 14 days... 3 hour lectures every weekday with tests on Fridays and lecture after the tests. The 14th day was the final so we learned everything in 13 days. It was awful. I would not do it again and I dont even know why the college offered genetics as a 14 day class. It was crazy. I would stick to semesters and summers.

If you are trying to do pre-reqs as fast as you can. Just do pre-reqs instead of seeking a bachelors degree. A lot of vet schools are ok without a degree if you have the science courses and experience to back yourself up.

Good luck!

That is kind of my idea, to do the prerequisites instead of working on my degree. However, my advisor told me that I shouldn't take very many re reqs at once. I was planning on taking General Bio, General Chem, and General Physics this coming semester. But, he said he wouldn't do it. What do u all think?
 
I'm taking Chem II and Bio I next semester and then a major class and humanities. If you want to get done faster and take a class or two during the winter semester, why don't you take humanities classes? Most vet schools seem to require those, so why not get those out of the way? Then you take your science pre-reqs during the 'normal' semesters and maybe even have room for classes to work towards a major that you could finish in case you do not get into vet school on the first try.

That's what I'm doing. Prereqs and major classes during the 'normal' semesters and humanities over the summer and online. Check with the vet schools you want to apply to first though if they take online classes if you're interested in those. I know UGA does, so I will probably be taking some of them online..
 
That is kind of my idea, to do the prerequisites instead of working on my degree. However, my advisor told me that I shouldn't take very many re reqs at once. I was planning on taking General Bio, General Chem, and General Physics this coming semester. But, he said he wouldn't do it. What do u all think?

I would definitely advise against taking Bio, Chem and Physics in one semester. That is going to be way too much in my opinion. Take 2 of those 3 at most. My brother just started his freshman year of college and I advised him to only take 1 major science his first semester so that he has time to acclimate to college before having tooooo much work. If you already have your schedule figured out and know that you have the time and motivation then take 2 of those science courses. Since you obviously have not taken those types of courses yet you don't know how hard they are in general but specifically for you. Don't overload yourself at the beginning. Take it easy this first semester and see how you feel about those types of courses.
 
I would definitely advise against taking Bio, Chem and Physics in one semester. That is going to be way too much in my opinion. Take 2 of those 3 at most. My brother just started his freshman year of college and I advised him to only take 1 major science his first semester so that he has time to acclimate to college before having tooooo much work. If you already have your schedule figured out and know that you have the time and motivation then take 2 of those science courses. Since you obviously have not taken those types of courses yet you don't know how hard they are in general but specifically for you. Don't overload yourself at the beginning. Take it easy this first semester and see how you feel about those types of courses.

I am so happy I decided to only take one in my first semester. Getting used to college classes at the same time as getting my first regular job where I work almost every day is already hard enough. I have trouble finding enough time to study sometimes if I still want to have a life and sleep. I am slowly getting used to it and I think I will be more comfortable about taking two science classes next semester, but I am very happy about only having one this semester..
 
Well I am acclimated to having a full course load. Biology comes pretty natural to me. So, I am thinking that I could do three in one semester. I just wanna know if anyone else has done it and how it turned out..
 
I think it always depends on your professors.. I read the reviews for our bio prof and they were terrible. Even people that used to be great in bio said they had to learn every single detail about everything and had a hard time with the class. Look up some reviews on the profs that teach your classes and then decide. Nut if you think you might be having trouble with calc, do you really want to add that much work to your schedule? It's not just the lectures, it's also a lot of hours in labs then..
 
Well I am acclimated to having a full course load. Biology comes pretty natural to me. So, I am thinking that I could do three in one semester. I just wanna know if anyone else has done it and how it turned out..

I took physics and general chem together along with all of the other requirements each semester and I don't think I could have handled another science course. The next year I took organic chem with one advanced science course each of the semesters of orgo and I don't think I could have handled another science course. You adviser gave you that advice for a reason IMO.
 
I took physics and general chem together along with all of the other requirements each semester and I don't think I could have handled another science course. The next year I took organic chem with one advanced science course each of the semesters of orgo and I don't think I could have handled another science course. You adviser gave you that advice for a reason IMO.

Yea, I guess you are right about that. I am planning on applying in 2013 if I can get the prerequisites done. By that time I will be 24 years old. I am just getting nervous about starting vet school when I am 25. I want to get in as quickly as I can. I don't want to be over 30 and still be in school. Lol
 
Well I am acclimated to having a full course load. Biology comes pretty natural to me. So, I am thinking that I could do three in one semester. I just wanna know if anyone else has done it and how it turned out..

Depends on courses. I did biochem, ochem, nutrition and... genetics, I think? In one semester. Plus some humanities shenanigans?

My boyfriend would ask me out on "library dates", because he claimed it was the only place he'd get to see me. 😉
 
I took genetics may term which boiled down to 14 days... 3 hour lectures every weekday with tests on Fridays and lecture after the tests. The 14th day was the final so we learned everything in 13 days. It was awful. I would not do it again and I dont even know why the college offered genetics as a 14 day class. It was crazy. I would stick to semesters and summers.

If you are trying to do pre-reqs as fast as you can. Just do pre-reqs instead of seeking a bachelors degree. A lot of vet schools are ok without a degree if you have the science courses and experience to back yourself up.

Good luck!

Would you do a General Biology class in a 14 day session? I know General Bio is no where near as intense as genetics.
 
I did Physics, Gen Bio, O-Chem and Calculus in the same quarter and tanked my GPA. It took me the rest of college to make it back up, and that was with progressively more difficult classes. Take your time until you know how you do with the course load, and don't worry about age, the average age of incoming students at UC Davis is 24.8... so 25 is perfect! If I get accepted this cycle:xf: I will be 25 at matriculation.
 
I took Bio I and Physics I in one semester and Chem I with Physics II the next semester and I worked a fulltime job. It was doable, but a lot of work and I had no life outside the library. I saw my study buddies more than my spouse.

I'm not sure I would be brave enough to attempt 3 sciences in one semester unless I did not work. Undoubtedly your GPA will suffer unless you can commit to zero outside life for 16 weeks. Especially if taking physics. I'd rather take a kick in the teeth than go through that again! :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yea, I guess you are right about that. I am planning on applying in 2013 if I can get the prerequisites done. By that time I will be 24 years old. I am just getting nervous about starting vet school when I am 25. I want to get in as quickly as I can. I don't want to be over 30 and still be in school. Lol

Im 26 and applying for the first time 😛 Its not that bad. I knew a veterinarian that got an art degree and lived on a boat for a few years, then came home got her bachelors in pre-vet and then went to vet school. So being "old" isnt a bad thing if you have stuff to do before vet school, but what works for some doesnt work for all🙂

Im not sure I would advise taking that many science classes either but you know yourself best. Are you planning on only taking those 3 classes? Im assuming they come with labs as well. I would try to space out subjects that you have difficulty with. So you said biology is easy for you are both of the other classes going to be extra challanging to you or do you feel comfortable with all 3? For me chemistry kills me! I took chemistry and microbiology at the same time and that was fine on top of my technician classes, but if it had been organic I dont think I could have done the two. If you have really good study habits and think you can master all three just as well as if you were only taking two then sure. It will be a lot of work though.

I like the idea of getting humanities out of the way winter semester.
 
Would you do a General Biology class in a 14 day session? I know General Bio is no where near as intense as genetics.

If I was not working and was able to dedicate all my time for those 14 days I think biology would have been easier to do than genetics. I dont think I would take a May term class again. Its all rapid cramming and I dont feel like you have time to digest anything.
 
Yea, I guess you are right about that. I am planning on applying in 2013 if I can get the prerequisites done. By that time I will be 24 years old. I am just getting nervous about starting vet school when I am 25. I want to get in as quickly as I can. I don't want to be over 30 and still be in school. Lol

Two things:
1. The only pre-reqs I made it a point to not take together were Physics and O-chem. I took Biochem during my second semester of physics, and one semester(not the one with biochem and physics) I took nothing but science courses. So really, it's whatever you feel capable of handling. Honestly, I think that one semester of all science courses, painful though it was, definitely taught me my limits, and was worth it even though it put a small damper on my GPA.

2. Don't worry about starting vet school in your mid- or late-twenties. I started 1st year at 25, most of my class mates are between the ages of 25 and 28, as second years. You certainly will not be alone if you are thirty before you finish school. 😀 Also keep in mind that rushing your pre-reqs may put your application further behind that taking your time if it screws your GPA to hell in the process.
 
Two things:
1. The only pre-reqs I made it a point to not take together were Physics and O-chem. I took Biochem during my second semester of physics, and one semester(not the one with biochem and physics) I took nothing but science courses. So really, it's whatever you feel capable of handling. Honestly, I think that one semester of all science courses, painful though it was, definitely taught me my limits, and was worth it even though it put a small damper on my GPA.

2. Don't worry about starting vet school in your mid- or late-twenties. I started 1st year at 25, most of my class mates are between the ages of 25 and 28, as second years. You certainly will not be alone if you are thirty before you finish school. 😀 Also keep in mind that rushing your pre-reqs may put your application further behind that taking your time if it screws your GPA to hell in the process.

Did you have a good experience with the physics professors at UT? Someone in this post or one of my others recommended taking physics elsewhere.
 
Did you have a good experience with the physics professors at UT? Someone in this post or one of my others recommended taking physics elsewhere.

I got really lucky for both O-chem and Physics.

My physics professor was Dr. Lavin. Class wasn't a cake walk, but he was really good at teaching, and was always willing to sit down with you outside of class. Got an A first semester (mechanical physics). I should have failed second semester physics (still don't get electrical physics, it eludes me), and he helped me pull my grade up to a C+.

Unfortunately, the last time I heard, the best O-chem professor on the planet at UT no longer teaches, which made me really really sad. 🙁 But if you end up taking O-chem at UT search for Dr. Magid and see if he's teaching again.
 
My physics professor was Dr. Lavin. Class wasn't a cake walk, but he was really good at teaching, and was always willing to sit down with you outside of class. Got an A first semester (mechanical physics). I should have failed second semester physics (still don't get electrical physics, it eludes me), and he helped me pull my grade up to a C+.

I also had him for physics. It wasn't easy, and I really don't think I remember anything, but he wasn't a bad teacher or anything. I think I got a B both semesters.

As far as organic chemistry...both semesters I had pretty bad teachers. First semester one said he was ashamed to be teaching my class because our test scores were so low (got a C in the class). Second semester...I think my highest test score was a 60. (Got a C-, but eventually convinced him I really deserved a C.)
 
I did Physics, Gen Bio, O-Chem and Calculus in the same quarter and tanked my GPA. It took me the rest of college to make it back up, and that was with progressively more difficult classes. Take your time until you know how you do with the course load, and don't worry about age, the average age of incoming students at UC Davis is 24.8... so 25 is perfect! If I get accepted this cycle:xf: I will be 25 at matriculation.

This is really good advice. Don't kill your GPA just so you'll be "done" faster -- it may end up taking you longer in the long run! And I'm personally a big fan of bachelor's degrees -- you never know what will happen, and it's good to have something to show for all your hard work!

In my class, we had a big group of 22-24 year olds..and then another big group at around 28-30 years old, with a scattering of even older students.

I know it seems like you need to rush, rush to get into school -- but once you get here, it seriously flies by. I promise. Take your time! 🙂
 
Yea, I guess you are right about that. I am planning on applying in 2013 if I can get the prerequisites done. By that time I will be 24 years old. I am just getting nervous about starting vet school when I am 25. I want to get in as quickly as I can. I don't want to be over 30 and still be in school. Lol

I'm 31, and was 29 when i started taking pre-reqs, and I'll hopefully start vet school at 32. Since my degree is in English, I basically only had to take science courses. So far, I've taken 3 lab sciences with another non-lab elective (calc, medical terminology, etc.) every semester for the last 4 semesters. It really depends on you. I know exactly how I learn, and i know how to make the most of the available study time I have. Is it hard? Absolutely. Has it impacted my GPA? Nope.

If you're confident in your abilities and you have the time, it's definitely possible. Its not easy, but taking multiple lab sciences at once will also help prepare you for vet school, during which you take on a much greater course load.
 
Of all the pre-req's Bio is the one you will actually need to know for vet school. If you blow through it now you may end up less prepared later.

Take a break and go skiing or something 🙂
 
I agree with everyone that you don't want to do poorly in those classes and hurt your chances of getting into vet school. But I do not know why everyone is advising against taking Gen Bio, Gen Chem, and Physics at the same time. If you think you can handle it, then go for it. Most of my semesters I had three or four science classes at a time, and honestly I feel way more prepared for vet school because of it. There are so many people in my class who are overwhelmed by the amount of science classes we have this first semester and I think it's because so many people are afraid to challenge themselves in undergrad fearing that it will hurt their chances of admission. I would recommend taking the classes together as opposed to trying to squeeze one in during winter break. You need winter break to relax from school!
 
I agree with everyone that you don't want to do poorly in those classes and hurt your chances of getting into vet school. But I do not know why everyone is advising against taking Gen Bio, Gen Chem, and Physics at the same time. If you think you can handle it, then go for it. Most of my semesters I had three or four science classes at a time, and honestly I feel way more prepared for vet school because of it. There are so many people in my class who are overwhelmed by the amount of science classes we have this first semester and I think it's because so many people are afraid to challenge themselves in undergrad fearing that it will hurt their chances of admission. I would recommend taking the classes together as opposed to trying to squeeze one in during winter break. You need winter break to relax from school!

I think I will try doing General Chemistry and General Bio this coming semester and see how it goes. If I don't fell overwhelmed I will probably take three this fall.