Wisconsin vs. Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gogoomaparis

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need to decide between Wisconsin and Kentucky pharmacy schools.
I would appreciate if anyone could give me some advice.
Thank you.
 
Both are top notch schools.

I'd go to the one that was the cheapest and/or offers the best campus atmosphere for the difference in money. Take into consideration where you would like to practice after graduation as well.
 
I'm from Louisville so I say KY. It's a good school and Lexington is a pretty fun town- not big city but still alot to do. Wisconsin... well they have cheese. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both schools have advantages and disadvantages. I'm from Louisville also, and I'm attending UK currently. Tuition would be a little bit more cheaper at UK and I would be close to my family. On the other hand, I really think Lexington is such a quiet place.

I attended Wisconsin for about a year and a half for my undergrad.
I really liked campus and my college life. I'd say the weather doesn't bother me that much. But since I'm out-of-state, tuition would be about $2-3000 more than that of UK.

I'm very glad that I'm in a position like this, but this definitely is a difficult decision for me.
Thank you for helping me.
 
I was wondering how long it would take you to respond.. and that's not the response I had expected! I can't comment on the basketball team.....

haha, I'm pretty bitter about basketball this year. I dunno about UC this year, I haven't watched any of their games. But to the OP, KY has an awesome pharmacy school, plus there's a huge new building opening up next year: Link
 
There is a huge pharmacist shortage in WI. They are still giving out large sign on bonuses.
 
I'm from Wisconsin and I go to UW pharm school. Very good school, I would definitely recommend it. Madison is a great town to go to school in.

Yeah we do still have a pharmacist shortage here, especially in Milwaukee. But, I've never heard of bonuses even close to 50k. More like 10 or 15 in my area an hour north of Milwaukee.

And our basketball team is not much to watch either. Lucky to hit 50 points per game. Big Ten basketball for ya. Looks like an early exit from the tourney this year.
 
UK is a great school and many in my class seem to like Lexington, but I live in Louisville and driving to UK everyday makes me hate Lexingtons lack of an adequate interstate system and the soccer moms on their cell phones I say all over the place. Starting in May I will only go back to Lexington for sporting events.
 
I've attended to both UW and UK, so I'm familiar with both places.
I like UK because I've heard that they have great programs. Also, my family lives in Louisville, and my mom went to UK, so she can help me with the study. I like UW because of the environment. I have lots of friends there and the life in Madison is much more enjoyable than that of Lexington. I'd say this is my greatest dilemma. Does anyone know how the exam system is in UW? I heard that UK gives exams over three days each month or so.
 
UW exam system (in general):

First 3 weeks of the semester - no exams

Next 3 weeks: ~ 5 exams plus a compounding lab practical separated by a few days each

About 1 week of no exams

Repeat until finals week. A couple classes have their "final" on the last day of class, others during finals week. Only 1 or 2 classes have cumulative finals per semester. Most classes follow the 3 equally weighted exams scheme to determine grades.
 
UK has "block exams" where all your test are taken over either Thurs. Fri. Sat. or Fri. Sat. Mon. It sucks around blocks but having 3 weeks with not tests is nice.
 
haha, I'm pretty bitter about basketball this year. I dunno about UC this year, I haven't watched any of their games. But to the OP, KY has an awesome pharmacy school, plus there's a huge new building opening up next year: Link

You could always come over to the dark side and cheer for my alum... Go Cards! 🙂

And the new pharmacy building looks AWESOME!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UW exam system (in general):

First 3 weeks of the semester - no exams

Next 3 weeks: ~ 5 exams plus a compounding lab practical separated by a few days each

About 1 week of no exams

Repeat until finals week. A couple classes have their "final" on the last day of class, others during finals week. Only 1 or 2 classes have cumulative finals per semester. Most classes follow the 3 equally weighted exams scheme to determine grades.

MadDash, are you a student at UW pharmacy?
If you are, could you explain what Introduction to Pharmaceutical Care Clerkship I is about? I'm comparing the curriculum of several schools, and I was just wondering what this class is about.
 
Don't waste your time with either of them, go to Minnesota instead. Wisconsin isn't even top 5.
 
I can't recommend MN either.. they're stuck with tubby now 😀

I was talking about pharmacy school rankings.

But yea .... It was a disappointing year for mens basketball but give it some time, it's only Tubby's second year here and there is talk he might be going elsewhere (Virginia?) but only time will tell. We've got some good recruits coming up so we'll see what happens next year.... :xf:
 
Minnesota's gonna win some games in football pretty soon...that coach up there is recruiting out of his skin.

Yea Brewster has been good for us so far but things are on the up and up. We are opening a new stadium for September 2009 costing in the neighborhood of 290 million and seating up to 80,000 fans. Should help with the recruitment process too. 👍
 
MadDash, are you a student at UW pharmacy?
If you are, could you explain what Introduction to Pharmaceutical Care Clerkship I is about? I'm comparing the curriculum of several schools, and I was just wondering what this class is about.

Yeah, I'm a student there. First year clerkships are pretty useless. It spans both semesters, Clerkship I and II. It is 1 credit total, 0 credits first semester, 1 second semester. This class can be summed up in two words: mandatory volunteering.

There are various sites around Madison that you can volunteer at for the school year. You rank your preferences online and they randomly assign you to a place. There are only 2 places that are healthcare related, UW Hospital and Children's Hospital. Of course, everyone wants these places. I ended up matching my 3rd choice, a middle school where I tutored. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it has no pharmacy relevance whatsoever. Basically, you just need to volunteer 15 hours per semester. One hour a week. Not hard.

The class consists of 2 discussions per semester, an hour a piece. Pretty boring. Then, at the end, you write a 1 or 2 page paper about your experience.

The class was useless, but not extremely time consuming. Don't let this class be the deciding factor on if you come here or not. The clerkships in years 2 and 3 are where you start getting into shadowing pharmacists.
 
Yeah, I'm a student there. First year clerkships are pretty useless. It spans both semesters, Clerkship I and II. It is 1 credit total, 0 credits first semester, 1 second semester. This class can be summed up in two words: mandatory volunteering.

There are various sites around Madison that you can volunteer at for the school year. You rank your preferences online and they randomly assign you to a place. There are only 2 places that are healthcare related, UW Hospital and Children's Hospital. Of course, everyone wants these places. I ended up matching my 3rd choice, a middle school where I tutored. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, but it has no pharmacy relevance whatsoever. Basically, you just need to volunteer 15 hours per semester. One hour a week. Not hard.

The class consists of 2 discussions per semester, an hour a piece. Pretty boring. Then, at the end, you write a 1 or 2 page paper about your experience.

The class was useless, but not extremely time consuming. Don't let this class be the deciding factor on if you come here or not. The clerkships in years 2 and 3 are where you start getting into shadowing pharmacists.

maybe most school do the same useless stuff. we have the 1 credit "experiential" class. It's 120 hours of "experience" at various sites, 60 in retail, 20 in hospital, 20 in long term care, and 20 in a bunch of kiddy education crap.

It's literally you pay tuition to work for these jokers for free. 60 hours of retail? Most of us who already work in retail knows plenty of that! We don't need to work an extra 60 hour and not get paid. 😡
 
maybe most school do the same useless stuff. we have the 1 credit "experiential" class. It's 120 hours of "experience" at various sites, 60 in retail, 20 in hospital, 20 in long term care, and 20 in a bunch of kiddy education crap.

It's literally you pay tuition to work for these jokers for free. 60 hours of retail? Most of us who already work in retail knows plenty of that! We don't need to work an extra 60 hour and not get paid. 😡

Ok 60, that's pretty ridiculous. 2nd year we have 12 hours in retail, 12 in hospital and I thought that was bad enough. I ran out of stuff to talk about after hour 5 or 6.