Wise Words: If You Dont Live In West Virginia Dont Apply To Wvu!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JUSTINDENT

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wise word to everyone. Feel free to send me 1/2 of the money I will have just saved you.

If you are an out of state applicant, do not apply to WVU School of Dentistry. I spent over $500 making the trip to WVU today for my interview to discover that the school takes only 10, yes 10 out of state applicants.

You need a minimum score of 20 on the DAT and you need to have "connections to the school" or WV affiliations.

Furthermore, they said 800 applicants have already applied this year for the 10 spots.

I am so upset, my GPA and DAT are not stellar and I have no connections to WVU so why did they send me an invite.

I can kiss my weekend and $500 goodbye. Just wanted to help others who could have done the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

You must be a competitive candidate to be given an interview. Do you know how many out-of-state interviews were given to date for those 10 spots?

Also, I wonder how many non-resident offers are made to fill 10 spots....maybe 30? It may not be as bad as it seems. Stay positive. At least you interviewed and are in the running.

JUSTINDENT said:
Wise word to everyone. Feel free to send me 1/2 of the money I will have just saved you.

If you are an out of state applicant, do not apply to WVU School of Dentistry. I spent over $500 making the trip to WVU today for my interview to discover that the school takes only 10, yes 10 out of state applicants.

You need a minimum score of 20 on the DAT and you need to have "connections to the school" or WV affiliations.

Furthermore, they said 800 applicants have already applied this year for the 10 spots.

I am so upset, my GPA and DAT are not stellar and I have no connections to WVU so why did they send me an invite.

I can kiss my weekend and $500 goodbye. Just wanted to help others who could have done the same thing.

Last year 13 out of state people got in, but that is not bad considering the small class sizes of 50.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I just looked at their website and they have a detailed fact sheet on the 2009 class.

Class size: 50
residents: 39
non-residents: 11 (5 out of state, 3 with strong ties to WV, 3 Kuwait students)

Did they share this info at the interview?

http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/sod/Admissions/facts_figures.pdf

oh yeah this is not abnormal, stony brook takes 1 !! count em 1!! outof state, and they still invited severeal of us to interview for that one goddamn spot.

you really should have known before hand though, not to go to instate school interviews unless you're a stellar candidate

Is it too late to apply to WVU School of Dentistry? What is the deadline? I love Virginia.

dat_student: dude, just shut up. seriously. i don't really mind your posts, but it seems clear to me that you have worn out your welcome from a lot of other people.

to the original poster:
11 out of state applicants are in their class. really, that doesn't seem all that bad. one person estimated they probably give out ~30 acceptances to fill those 11 spots. i think it might be significantly higher than that even (>50).

but in any event, i was planning on applying to wvu, but probably won't after reading some feedback from out of staters about the school.

organichemistry said:
dat_student: dude, just shut up...

What's wrong with applying to WVU? What's wrong with loving Virginia? I didn't know WVU accepts any out-of-staters. That remark was uncalled for.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well"
Shakespeare - King Lear

INTERVIEWS: UCLA, UCSF, UPENN, Columbia, UCONN (University of Connecticut), University of Maryland, Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, Temple University, Indiana University, Case Western Reserve University, UMKC, UMDNJ, Nova, I don't recall the rest [I won't go to all interviews]

DentalNerd said:
You must be a competitive candidate to be given an interview. Do you know how many out-of-state interviews were given to date for those 10 spots?

Also, I wonder how many non-resident offers are made to fill 10 spots....maybe 30? It may not be as bad as it seems. Stay positive. At least you interviewed and are in the running.

well who knows, there were 45 people at the interview saturday and they plan on doing two more interviews until december. They told us that they had already sent out all the invites that they are going to do until January.

Also said that they will fill 80% of the class by december first. So I guess my words of advice are - - - If you dont have perfect GPA and DAT dont waste your money.

This school appears to be VERY political. I want my money back.

dat_student said:
What's wrong with applying to WVU? What's wrong with loving Virginia? I didn't know WVU accepts any out-of-staters. That remark was uncalled for.

Shakespeare - King Lear

INTERVIEWS: UCLA, UCSF, UPENN, Columbia, UCONN (University of Connecticut), University of Maryland, Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, Temple University, Indiana University, Case Western Reserve University, UMKC, UMDNJ, Nova, I don't recall the rest [I won't go to all interviews]

WVU is in WEST Virginia. And I agree with the other guy, your posts are not well thought out at all.

JUSTINDENT said:
WVU is in WEST Virginia. And I agree with the other guy, your posts are not well thought out at all.

Thanks for replying but you didn't answer my questions:

What's wrong with applying to WVU? What's wrong with loving Virginia? [I didn't know WVU accepts any out-of-staters. The other guy's remark was uncalled for.]

Shakespeare - King Lear

dat_student said:
Thanks for replying but you didn't answer my questions:

What's wrong with applying to WVU? What's wrong with loving Virginia? [I didn't know WVU accepts any out-of-staters. The other guy's remark was uncalled for.]

Shakespeare - King Lear

INTERVIEWS: UCLA, UCSF, UPENN, Columbia, UCONN (University of Connecticut), University of Maryland, Boston University, University of Pittsburgh, Temple University, Indiana University, Case Western Reserve University, UMKC, UMDNJ, Nova, I don't recall the rest [I won't go to all interviews][/QUOT

Nothing is wrong with it.

however, YOU ARE A TROLL.

JUSTINDENT said:
Nothing is wrong with it. however, YOU ARE A TROLL.

If nothing is wrong with it >> (#1) I am not a troll (#2)that comment was extremely inappropriate. I'd never tell anyone to shut up and I'd never use profanity under any circumstances.

I asked a simple question: is it too late to apply to WVU? I truly love Virginia.

I don't understand why people like to intentionally misinterpret. The same thing happened with another post. I was told during my interview UCSF has received the highest NIH funding for the past 13 years and I posted that information for everyone. I also posted the ranking I was given based on research and NIH funding. Everybody except UCSF students became upset. I don't get it. I didn't say UCSF is the best school. I didn't say everybody should love UCSF. I didn't even say UCSF is my #1 choice. I just posted what I was told during my interview. Should everyone's favorite school be #1 in every single category?

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
If nothing is wrong with it >> (#1) I am not a troll (#2)that comment was extremely inappropriate. I'd never tell anyone to shut up and I'd never use profanity under any circumstances.

I asked a simple question: is it too late to apply to WVU? I truly love Virginia.

I don't understand why people like to intentionally misinterpret. The same thing happened with another post. I was told during my interview UCSF has received the highest NIH funding for the past 13 years and I posted that information for everyone. I also posted the ranking I was given based on research and NIH funding. Everybody except UCSF students became upset. I don't get it. I didn't say UCSF is the best school. I didn't say everybody should love UCSF. I didn't even say UCSF is my #1 choice. I just posted what I was told during my interview. Should everyone's favorite school be #1 in every single category?

Another thoughtless one.....

JUSTINDENT said:
Another thoughtless one.....

Another ambiguous reply because the poster can't say more :laugh:

dat_student said:
Another ambiguous reply because the poster can't say more :laugh:

I dont' think dat-student is a troll, an idiot? yup. douchebag? sure! but troll? nah...

Knock off the personal attacks, people.

If you have a problem with another user, report it to a moderator. Otherwise, let's keep the commentary a little more professional.

phremius said:
I dont' think dat-student is a troll, an idiot? yup. douchebag? sure! but troll? nah...

If that makes you smarter or a more competitive applicant fine.Call me what you want. :laugh:

Shakespeare - King Lear

aphistis said:
Knock off the personal attacks, people.

If you have a problem with another user, report it to a moderator. Otherwise, let's keep the commentary a little more professional.

OK, I have a problem with that guy. Read his posts and DO YOUR JOB, how about that.

phremius said:

I AGREE 100%, but that mod obviouly could care less. Hopefully, these guys will be better dentists than mods. :thumbdown:

JUSTINDENT said:
OK, I have a problem with that guy. Read his posts and DO YOUR JOB, how about that.

Can you please englighten me and the moderators by pointing to the posts that upset you? Again, my love for Virginia should not upset anyone. You keep attacking me. I don't get it. Have we met before? Do I know you? Have I done anything against you? Have I called you an idiot? I simply said I love Virginia and I'd like to know if it's too late to apply to WVU. I really thought WVU doesn't accept non-residents. Again, I don't see anything wrong with this and you also said there is nothing wrong with this. So why do you keep attacking me? You have 8 posts and 7 of the 8 are used to attack me.

dat_student said:
Can you please englighten me and the moderators by pointing to the posts that upset you? Again, my love for Virginia should not upset anyone. You keep attacking me. I don't get it. Have we met before? Do I know you? Have I done anything against you? Have I called you an idiot? I simply said I love Virginia and I'd like to know if it's too late to apply to WVU. I really thought WVU doesn't accept non-residents. Again, I don't see anything wrong with this and you also said there is nothing wrong with this. So why do you keep attacking me? You have 8 posts and 7 of the 8 are used to attack me.

Dat_Student you need to get a life outside of SDN... seriously. In this post (and others) you sound like a twelve year old. Find a hobby, go beef up your community service, write a novel... just not on sdn.

P. S. Nobody cares that you have so many interviews that you can't remember. If I were you I'd edit your signature, you might find less antagonism here if you came off a bit less cocky.

aphistis said:
JUSTINDENT, check your private messages.

I did, thanks. From now on please dont send me anymore.

Back to my post.

Like I said, don't waste your money to go to WVU. Its trashy, out of staters are treated like dirt, and it costs lots and lots of money for a second rate education.

Ill just shoot for Temple.

dat_student said:

I love VA too, that's why I applied to VCU.

DrTacoElf said:
Actually 10 spots isn't bad for out of state at all. Some schools take 0 some take 1-3.

10 spots is good for 900 applicants?

Whatever man, go up there and interview and give the town and school $500.00 of mommy and daddys money see if I care.

JUSTINDENT said:
10 spots is good for 900 applicants?

Whatever man, go up there and interview and give the town and school $500.00 of mommy and daddys money see if I care.

10 spots might mean 40 acceptances for 900 applicants. 900 applicants which probably have fairly low stats average... since WVU does have some of the lower stats for dental schools. i would say that an out of stater that has 3.7 GPA / 20 DAT and something else that stands out would have a fighting chance at west virginia.

organichemistry said:
10 spots might mean 40 acceptances for 900 applicants. 900 applicants which probably have fairly low stats average... since WVU does have some of the lower stats for dental schools. i would say that an out of stater that has 3.7 GPA / 20 DAT and something else that stands out would have a fighting chance at west virginia.

Well thats exactly what I thought too so thats good were both thinking.

However, once you get there and meet them you discover that they have a special agreement with the state of UTAH and 5 of the out of staters come from UTAH and the other 5 out of staters should have what they call STRONG TIES to WV.

Hell, I drove through the state once, does that make me have strong ties?

No. I want a refund of all money. I should sue.

i'm surprised the troll hasn't been banned yet :laugh:

tom3 said:
i'm surprised this fuc0king ****** troll hasn't been banned yet :laugh:

Hey dont talk to me that way!

aphistis said:

:laugh: :laugh: :smuggrin:

Isnt reincarnation cool?

You remind me of a kid I used to bully when I was little. He was such a dork! I see a strong correlation.