Withdraw or possibly get a B and lose 4.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleeplessdreamer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior and am in physics 202, my last pre-req. I didn't do so hot on my first exam, and I basically have to make super high As (practically perfect scores) on the everything else to get an A in the class. My GPA so far is a 4.0, and since the rest of the classes I need to take in college are "easier" (electives), I thought I could graduate with a 4.0... until I screwed up in physics. It is possible to make an A, but I don't think it's very likely. The stress of having to do so well on each exam will probably be enough to cause me to screw up again.

I know it sounds super pretentious to even consider withdrawing to save my "precious GPA." Even typing it out feels arrogant. I think it's a pride thing. It was a goal I had once I started college. I kind of wish I got a B during freshman year so I wouldn't have this sort of pressure. I'm usually really hard on myself about this type of stuff.

The withdrawal date is coming up really soon, so my question is: would it be really stupid if I withdrew? Or would it be kind of stupid but not a big deal? I know adcoms won't care much about a B, but how much more/less will they care about a single W? How likely is it that I'll be asked about it?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

Neither will tank you, but they will know you dropped it so that you could keep your 4.0, which is more questionable than getting a B.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah then during the interview you're going to say "Didn't want that 3.9":nono:

Reactions: 3 users
Take the B.
Odds are you're going to be less than perfect in medical school, and admissions will want to know that this won't break you.

What happens if one of your easy electives screws you and you get a B+?

You're so close, just accept that you may just miss it and that it's fine. If you had one B in all of college it would still be an achievement to be proud of!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
A 4.0 is kind of like your virginity, there comes a good time to lose it

B >>>>>>>>>> W

*a W could raise concerns (unfair ones at that), they could ask were you caught cheating? something wild might come up, swallow the B and know your GPA is still super high

Hey guys,

I'm currently a junior and am in physics 202, my last pre-req. I didn't do so hot on my first exam, and I basically have to make super high As (practically perfect scores) on the everything else to get an A in the class. My GPA so far is a 4.0, and since the rest of the classes I need to take in college are "easier" (electives), I thought I could graduate with a 4.0... until I screwed up in physics. It is possible to make an A, but I don't think it's very likely. The stress of having to do so well on each exam will probably be enough to cause me to screw up again.

I know it sounds super pretentious to even consider withdrawing to save my "precious GPA." Even typing it out feels arrogant. I think it's a pride thing. It was a goal I had once I started college. I kind of wish I got a B during freshman year so I wouldn't have this sort of pressure. I'm usually really hard on myself about this type of stuff.

The withdrawal date is coming up really soon, so my question is: would it be really stupid if I withdrew? Or would it be kind of stupid but not a big deal? I know adcoms won't care much about a B, but how much more/less will they care about a single W? How likely is it that I'll be asked about it?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions!
LizzyM posted very recently about someone like you. The person had an A- and lost their 4.0, and the Adcom commented favorably that they didnt' take a W to maintain the GPA.

IF you take the W, it will be obvious what you're up to.

How do you think an Adcom member will view that????

Reactions: 2 users
This is such a dumb question. Do you honestly think anyone will care that you have A SINGLE B.

Reactions: 1 users
Curious: How would responses change if it was the same situation except between a B vs dropping the class with no W (no mention on transcript since it's before the drop deadline)?

Curious: How would responses change if it was the same situation except between a B vs dropping the class with no W (no mention on transcript since it's before the drop deadline)?

If this person values his time so little that he is willing to retake an entire semester of physics because he doesn't want a B on his 4.0 application then I really doesn't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
The most important thing at most schools is keeping >3.9 or 3.95 for Summa. Sure, some random bio major will get a 4.0 and maybe be recognized for that, but nobody really cares about valedictorian in college, because all of the engineers with a 3.0 or better were smarter than them anyway. (This is hyperbole.)

Reactions: 1 users
I took an A- in o chem and "lost" my 4.0. One interviewer recently did try to give me a hard time about "what happened??" and I just told him it was the proudest A- of my life. :p

Don't let your pride cause you to make a stupid decision here -- you know what the right thing to do is for your application, now you just have to do it.

Side note: Does your school not have a +\- system? Is an A- or B+ not possible...?

Take the B and move on with your life. Med schools don't care if u have a 3.97 v 4.0

Study your ass off for the next three exams, OP. Worst case scenario is your GPA will still be perfectly
Competitive.

Nothing is impossible, just study like your life depends on it. Or in this case, like your 4.0GPA depends on it :p

I literally asked this same question yesterday in the pre-dental forums.

OP this should not be a concern B >>>>>>>>>> W like everyone said. IF you take a W, usually people do that when they know they're going to FAIL. This is what adcoms will think. So please don't. 90% of people at top 10s have sub 4.0 GPAs. Seriously, a great MCAT, cool extra-curriculars, recommendations, and literally your entire application will be enough to overcome A SINGLE B.