This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doomgirl_

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman and withdrawing from gen chem this semester. I had a family emergency that resulted in me flying back and forth from my home state to the state where my university is currently located. This caused me to totally screw up any chance of even getting a "C" in the course, and there is no way I'm repeating the mistakes I made in high school and taking the C instead of just getting a simple W.

My question is - how bad does a W look, even if I still have a 3.8-4.0 GPA, and would this also affect transferring from one undergrad uni to another?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a freshman and withdrawing from gen chem this semester. I had a family emergency that resulted in me flying back and forth from my home state to the state where my university is currently located. This caused me to totally screw up any chance of even getting a "C" in the course, and there is no way I'm repeating the mistakes I made in high school and taking the C instead of just getting a simple W.

My question is - how bad does a W look, even if I still have a 3.8-4.0 GPA, and would this also affect transferring from one undergrad uni to another?
I had a W in O Chem because emergency and finished with strong GPA. Never has been brought up or mentioned, ever. I have a few acceptances this cycle as well at both MD and DO schools. Don't let it discourage you!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It will look better then a C- and that is all you need to know.
Thank you, I figured it would be.
I had a W in O Chem because emergency and finished with strong GPA. Never has been brought up or mentioned, ever. I have a few acceptances this cycle as well at both MD and DO schools. Don't let it discourage you!!

Thanks!! I definitely was a little nervous so it’s nice knowing that you still were accepted although you withdrew from a core class.
Take the W
I’m dead set on doing so, thanks for the confirmation.

The "W" is okay - especially given the family emergency situation.

Will it impact transferring chances do you know?
It is advisable to check with an "admissions representative" or an "admissions advisor" at each school to which you desire to transfer (because transfer admissions policies vary from school to school). Ask each school: what is its "transfer policy?"

It is advisable to check with an "admissions representative" or an "admissions advisor" at each school to which you desire to transfer (because transfer admissions policies vary from school to school). Ask each school: what is its "transfer policy?"
Alrighty, I'll do just that. Thank you!