Withdrawal Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eledamau

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone?

what do you write in a withdrawal letter?

would something like this be okay?
__________________________________________________ _____________
To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to withdraw my application from ____ school.

Sincerely,

___

or does it have to include something more? (ie. explanations about what school I am going to?.. etc.) i didn't think we're "supposed to" include this extra information.. but then again.. i haven't done it before --any help would be appreciated

I plan to send some out this weekend

Members don't see this ad.

eledamau said:
anyone?

what do you write in a withdrawal letter?

would something like this be okay?
To Whom It May Concern:

I would like to withdraw my application from ____ school.

Sincerely,

___

or does it have to include something more? (ie. explanations about what school I am going to?.. etc.) i didn't think we're "supposed to" include this extra information.. but then again.. i haven't done it before --any help would be appreciated

I plan to send some out this weekend

I think that what you put is fine, no other explanations necessary.

I would add something along the line of

"Thank you for considering me for admission to XXX School and offering me a spot in the class of 2008. Though I liked my visit to XXX and would enjoy studying medicine there, I have decided that XXX is not the best fit for me and regretfully withdraw my acceptance.

Thank you."

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you need to send an application withdrawal letter to a school? Is it just to be courteous to them? Just wondering.

I think to withdraw an application, no explanation is necessary; if you say you 'decided' not to go there, they might guffaw b/c they haven't offered you a position yet.

Application withdrawals are particularly necessary if you want to withdraw after they invited you for an interview, were accepted, or were waitlisted. They are not necessary if you are just waiting to be interviewed but you can withdraw just to have some closure.

I have found the best way to withdraw is by email. I have tried both letters and email. Letters are slower and they cost money for stamps albeit not that much money but still. Emails are faster and usually they will reply back quickly acknowledging your withdrawal.