Withdrawals and Fails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KitKat254

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have been reading this forum for awhile now, but have not come across a thread that is similar to mine, so I thought I might ask for specific advice.
My current situation is that I am currently enrolled in community college. I don't have financial aid, because I bombed 2 semesters (took 2 classes each semester), because I stopped attending (online) classes, and overall I just could not stay motivated. Finances were at the forefront of my mind ahead of education. I have moved past that now, and am in a much more stable full time job in banking, but I still have the problem of paying for my classes until I can regain my eligibility & I have a 0.00 gpa with 12 attempted credits. I also have a failed attempt at 3 classes several years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, so there is that too.
I am 25,URM,engaged and have 1 child, so it's very important that I continue to work as much as I can to help support my family.
I guess I'm just wondering, if I show an upward trend from here, if medical school will still be a possibility for me.

TL;DR bombed multiple community college classes, have a 0.0 gpa. Will MD ever be possible for me?

Members don't see this ad.

You first have to figure out why you have a 0.00 GPA and then address that before you even think about medical school. Regardless of "personal situations," I believe there is no excuse for a 0.00 GPA. It's really easy to say "things are gonna change" but it's harder to make that change. Once you figure that out however, you can certainly look at medical school in the future. You would have to get close to straight A's and a competitive MCAT score to even be considered for US schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for you response. I agree. There really is no real excuse. I am working on addressing my financial situation so that I can solely focus on school. I will be taking one class this fall. I am just worried that even if I do well at a pace of 1/2 classes per semester, I will never get there. My fiancé thinks I should quit work to pursue school full time. Thoughts on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, your fiance is correct. There's some strategy involved with how you take classes. Taking the classes at a slow pace gets them done but it doesn't prove anything. Taking several science courses all at once and doing really well in them completes the courses but also demonstrates that you can handle that type of work.

Also, I would say the MCAT is the greater of the two. You can get that high GPA but if that MCAT score is not good, it closes a lot of doors.

My suggestion is to take some time to research this more and plan it all out and then attempt it. Do not do this blindly.

Reactions: 1 user
It appears that you have a lot on your plate and this is preventing you from succeeding.

Until you get those fixed, then, and only then is it time to figure out the best way to learn. Schools have learning or education centers that can help you witht he latter.

A financial advisor, and a therapist might help with the former.

A sustained record of academic excellence will show Adcoms that the old you is not the successful you.

I disagree with your fiancée's advice... you need to ramp up or academic muscles. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

Hi everyone,
I have been reading this forum for awhile now, but have not come across a thread that is similar to mine, so I thought I might ask for specific advice.
My current situation is that I am currently enrolled in community college. I don't have financial aid, because I bombed 2 semesters (took 2 classes each semester), because I stopped attending (online) classes, and overall I just could not stay motivated. Finances were at the forefront of my mind ahead of education. I have moved past that now, and am in a much more stable full time job in banking, but I still have the problem of paying for my classes until I can regain my eligibility & I have a 0.00 gpa with 12 attempted credits. I also have a failed attempt at 3 classes several years ago when I was pregnant with my daughter, so there is that too.
I am 25,URM,engaged and have 1 child, so it's very important that I continue to work as much as I can to help support my family.
I guess I'm just wondering, if I show an upward trend from here, if medical school will still be a possibility for me.

TL;DR bombed multiple community college classes, have a 0.0 gpa. Will MD ever be possible for me?

Reactions: 1 users