Withdrew one entire semester after job switch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurosa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there:)

In the beginning of my fall semester (sophmore year) my job moved away. I was supporting myself fully (in a CC working 30 hours a week, paying my own rent/car/bills ect). I was able to live on (the little bit) of savings that I had but I had to take another job soon. My family doesn't live in the states so I didn't have a safety net to move back to. Half way through the semester I got a job offered for 60 hours a week. I was a couple weeks away from having to pay rent and I had no idea how I was going to do that so I took the job.
I withdrew from the 3 courses I was taking. My gpa before was a 3.8 and now I just have 3 W's on my transcripts. Will this look bad even though I had a good reason? Do I disclose this later on in my applications? How? When?

Members don't see this ad.

Will this look bad even though I had a good reason?
It'll be fine. No one will fault you for doing what you had to for food and shelter (you know, the little things).

Do I disclose this later on in my applications?
Of course.

How? When?
Don't worry, your transcript will disclose it for you.

Look, you don't need to fret about this. And you don't need to come up with a neurotic letter to explain it to an adcom. You'll submit your apps, and if you get asked about it at an interview you'll answer truthfully and they'll say "OK" and that'll be the end of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I find it remarkable that you had to work on your own and still maintained a 3.8. No adcom will reject you for this. In fact, it shows good judgement on your part. Keep doing well and if they ask, give them the honest answer. You could even include this in an essay prompt, where you had to switch, withdraw from courses in order to put food on the table. You will be FINE.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree wholeheartedly with above.

Ws all come with a story. Yours is a good one and speaks to your determination and character.

If it’s any comfort, I have >5 Ws on my transcript with no good reason like you have. I was just a crap student. I’m now in my second year of med school and other than explaining on my app my overall struggle, nobody ever even asked about them.

I agree wholeheartedly with above.

Ws all come with a story. Yours is a good one and speaks to your determination and character.

If it’s any comfort, I have >5 Ws on my transcript with no good reason like you have. I was just a crap student. I’m now in my second year of med school and other than explaining on my app my overall struggle, nobody ever even asked about them.
What was your MCAT?