Women Interview Attire: East Coast vs. Midwest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitetopaz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This subject has been bugging me for a while, and I though I'd get some other opinions.

During my medical school interviews, I noticed that interview attire for women varied between these two regions. For east coast schools, applicants dressed more conservatively (i.e black suits, white shirts, heels, and pantyhose all around) but applicants at the midwest schools were more casual (low-cut lace-edged shirts, shorter skirts, no pantyhose, etc.)

This might be a selection bias on my part since I haven't interviewed at many schools, but do midwest schools tend to be more lax when it comes to interview attire, particularly for women? A close friend who is a current MS1 at a midwest school sent me old pictures of her interview outfit when I was picking out my own, and hers seems to break several of the "rules/recommendations" made here on SDN (bright purple tank top rather than a blouse, black instead of nude-colored pantyhose, and strappy heels). She didn't get accepted to any east coast schools, but I feel that might have just been a coincidence. If her outfit didn't keep her out of one medical school, shouldn't it theoretically be appropriate enough for all medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't notice any difference in attire when I interviewed in the east coast and the midwest—I saw "different" outfits in both regions (none of them were as daring as your friend's though lol). Might have just been coincidence with the interviewee groups you ended up with! Also, the SDN advice about interview clothes doesn't mean you'll get auto-rejected if you wear something a little different, but it's more about the idea that it's better to be safe than sorry, which I think has a fair amount of merit. Why take the risk that you're not as fashion astute as you think?

Although as a midwesterner, I do feel we tend to dress down in regular life and perhaps be less trendy than the coasts haha!

There are other interview threads about women's interview attire on this site. IMO, interview attire for medical school should always be conservative and professional. No one should ever wear anything that could be considered revealing. Not absolutely necessary to wear pantyhose, especially in warm weather, but if wearing a skirt, it should be closer to knee length than mid thigh length - you need to be able to sit comfortably. Shoes should be comfortable and heels not too high. You want to look like you could run to a "code" and do chest compressions - you want to look like you would not be afraid to "get dirty". The suit can be any neutral color, light or dark, and can even be separates of different colors. In the dead of winter, in cold climates, you might stand out a bit wearing a very light-colored suit, but it is fine. We know that the Floridians, Texans and Californians are not always going to purchase an interview suit just for our climate!

And in general, in life, keep this in mind: "Dress for the job that you want and not the job that you have". When I was a very junior faculty member, I could have shown up to my academic office for my non-clinical days in casual clothes like the other junior faculty and no one would have cared. Instead, I took my cues from the senior level faculty, and dressed up a bit more professionally. And always err a bit on the side of being MORE professionally dressed up for a given event/job than LESS dressed up. It is always worse to be too dressed down as compared to too dressed up!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both my interviews were in the midwest, so I can't compare my experiences to anywhere else, but I was shocked at some of the attire that other women wore! Since I've heard so much about dressing conservatively, it was a shock seeing people in patterned dresses (no jacket), boots, non-plain suits, black pantyhose... the list could go on.

However, the people in such clothes happened to be from the coasts, so I can't say for sure whether it's a regional thing.

I interviewed in the Midwest, granted a few years ago now but generally the women wore suits. There was one woman who wore a t-shirt material shirt under her suit and it stood out to me as unusual. Not sure if maybe she just didn’t know not to do that. (I went on a LOT of interviews for residency because I had no idea where I wanted to go, throughout both the Midwest and East Coast, and again expectation seemed to be suits.)

I wore a conservative gray pantsuit to interviews last year and was told I was "bold" for not going with a black suit. LOL. I didn't want to look like I was on my way to a funeral.

Reactions: 1 users
For me, I feel like women have dressed very differently at my T20 interviews versus non-T20 schools. I know that sounds very strange, but at my T20 interviews all of the women were in crisp suits and were dressed very formally, whereas at the non-T20 schools women were wearing lower cut shirts, bright colors, jackets that didn't match the pants, and open toed shoes. I feel like most men dress professionally (maybe it's more obvious for them what they are supposed to wear?), but I wish more women would do the same so people aren't left thinking 'what the heck is she wearing'.

For me, I feel like women have dressed very differently at my T20 interviews versus non-T20 schools. I know that sounds very strange, but at my T20 interviews all of the women were in crisp suits and were dressed very formally, whereas at the non-T20 schools women were wearing lower cut shirts, bright colors, jackets that didn't match the pants, and open toed shoes. I feel like most men dress professionally (maybe it's more obvious for them what they are supposed to wear?), but I wish more women would do the same so people aren't left thinking 'what the heck is she wearing'.

This -- The women at your Top 20 schools were top-caliber applicants who had done their homework and knew/learned the rules. When you're aiming that high, you can't afford to lose many points.

The West Coast tends to be less formal than the East and the Midwest just tends to be [sorry] behind. OP's friend's purple tank top outfit may very well have kept her out of a top East Coast medical school, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

There used to be a couple of really good threads here about women's interview attire. I haven't seen them lately, but if you're wondering about what to wear, do a search and find them.

Reactions: 3 users
During my medical school interviews, I noticed that interview attire for women varied between these two regions. For east coast schools, applicants dressed more conservatively (i.e black suits, white shirts, heels, and pantyhose all around) but applicants at the midwest schools were more casual (low-cut lace-edged shirts, shorter skirts, no pantyhose, etc.)

I think women's dress varies more just because they have many more options & more ambiguity in the way that they should dress. Still, low-cut shirts or skirts are *never* business professional or even business casual. (Just because you saw people doing this doesn't necessarily mean that they're getting in...)

(bright purple tank top rather than a blouse, black instead of nude-colored pantyhose, and strappy heels). She didn't get accepted to any east coast schools, but I feel that might have just been a coincidence. If her outfit didn't keep her out of one medical school, shouldn't it theoretically be appropriate enough for all medical schools?

Maybe she just got lucky and had a more progressive/less traditional interviewer? 0 idea how anyone could get away with wearing a tank top to any kind of interview (I mean even some public & private schools are banning them for casual wear in grade school). Glad everything worked out for your friend though!

Reactions: 1 user
You'll see that the farther west you go, the more relaxed attitudes people will have. East Coast programs are typically more intense and conservative, all throughout medicine. You'll see it again and again.

But you can't go wrong by being more conservative. Conservative wear fits in any box. Non-conservative clothing may fit in some boxes but not in others. A med school interview isn't a time to look sexy. It's a time to look professional and serious.

Agree with all of the above.

We are seeing a move away from black suits (the funeral procession) to grays and dark blues. Maybe it's our colder climate but pants seem to be the rule starting in November... an even split of skirt suits and pant suits earlier than that. I don't look at women's legs (haha) so I couldn't tell you if they were wearing hose or not.