Wondering where I stand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ac1219

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wait a 612 is a 90 on 2-digit score? Man I just don't get how the Comlex is scored.

I digress, you will be fine for all of those. You will get interviews, the rest is up to you. Remember to do auditions at where you want to go.

Should have gotten a 650, you have no chance now...

(Okay thats too mean, just getting sick of newbies posting very good comlex scores and asking about their chances. 600+ score will get you an interview at any program, as long as your not a idiot in person and have decent social skills)

Members don't see this ad :)
COMLEX scoring is ******ed, I have no clue either about the 2 digit score. A 732 is a 98. So, like 5 people out of 2000 may get a 99. While on the USMLE a 99 is basically anything 240+. Makes no sense.

But, to answer the OP. Look at the percentile calculator, you are in the 90th percentile. You're fine for almost any specialty.

COMLEX scoring is ******ed, I have no clue either about the 2 digit score. A 732 is a 98. So, like 5 people out of 2000 may get a 99. While on the USMLE a 99 is basically anything 240+. Makes no sense.

But, to answer the OP. Look at the percentile calculator, you are in the 90th percentile. You're fine for almost any specialty.

Seems like the COMLEX two digit is the percentile score and the USMLE two digit is BS. A 240 on Step 1 is definitely not 99th percentile.

Seems like the COMLEX two digit is the percentile score and the USMLE two digit is BS. A 240 on Step 1 is definitely not 99th percentile.

I'm not sure thats correct either, my score was 528/84 on the comlex. That's a bit above average, definately not 84th percentile. I just dont get it

The two digit score isn't a percentile. It is just a conversion of your 3 digit score into a way to see if you passed or failed the test. >75 = passing on both the usmle and comlex. You can read about it on www.nbome.org.

The issue, however, is that a lot of ACGME programs think the two digit scores for both exams are equal but that isn't true. The passing score, 75, for both exams is equal but that is about it. So a lot of ACGME programs like to see 99s (which is around a 235+), but it is rare to get a 99 on the COMLEX and some program directors don't know that.

It has to be nigh impossible to get a 99 on the COMLEX. A 690 is a 99th percentile according to last year's test and a 732 gives a 2 digit of 98. So it has got to be like a 750+ to get a 99, which is insane. Yet, a 240 gives a 99 on the USMLE.

No idea how these people grade things.

its just a scaled 2 digit. there are essentially 3 values:
- 3 digit (we all get this one... 500 mean w SD of 81 this year)
- percentile score (where we sit in regard to the SD and our peers)
- the 2 digit scaled score: so 75% is minimum passing (meaning 75% = 400 on the exam)... the 2 digit is scaled up as you go. it's not the % correct on the test, or the percentile you sit in, rather a reflection of where your grade sits relative to the "passing" mark. It's convoluted, but the 2 digit is scaled the same way as the 3 digit more or less.

on topic: Speaking from an EM POV, I think you're more than good. you're more than one SD over avg which is awesome. EM values your LOR (the SLOR in particular), and your clinical and step 2 pretty highly anyway. Good job!