Won't have a passing COMLEX PE score by ERAS deadline after failing 1st attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazynoodle512

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to COVID my attempts to schedule my retake have been cancelled 3 times now. I won't be able to have a passing score by 10/21. What strategies do you guy suggest to overcome this when it comes to applying for residency? Feeling really disheartened :(

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
you could gamble and submit scores and update programs once the scores come out.

you could gamble and submit scores and update programs once the scores come out.

I feel like there's no other choice, right? Either that or take a research year. I have a friend doing that simply to avoid this sh*tshow that is the 2020/2021 application cycle. I won't lie, I'm a bit envious.

OP, have you spoken to your admin about your situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like there's no other choice, right? Either that or take a research year. I have a friend doing that simply to avoid this sh*tshow that is the 2020/2021 application cycle. I won't lie, I'm a bit envious.

OP, have you spoken to your admin about your situation?
yeah research year is the only alternative. Sucks to have to waste 200K because you couldnt get an exam seat.

yeah research year is the only alternative. Sucks to have to waste 200K because you couldnt get an exam seat.

Do you have to pay an extra year of tuition for a research year? I've always wondered that. Obviously there are living expenses. But what about tuition?

My friend this all depends on what u applying to.

DERM in LA vs FM in west vginny

Do you have to pay an extra year of tuition for a research year? I've always wondered that. Obviously there are living expenses. But what about tuition?
200k is just lost income I am talking about. Not sure if people pay tuition.

Reactions: 1 users
My friend this all depends on what u applying to.

DERM in LA vs FM in west vginny
no one is applying to derm with a failed PE, or if they are they shouldnt be.

I won't have a score in until after ERAS opens. Based on the info coming out of the webinar with the NBOME today I will be lucky to have a score by rank lists being due. I almost applied to my school's internal masters program today.... my wife talked me off the ledge.

Reactions: 4 users
I won't have a score in until after ERAS opens. Based on the info coming out of the webinar with the NBOME today I will be lucky to have a score by rank lists being due. I almost applied to my school's internal masters program today.... my wife talked me off the ledge.
I am amazed of how resistant licensing exam organization is to make accommodation during this COVID...despite the fact that PE/CS has no validity on proficiency...‍♀️...yet they said “will try to minimize your future plan”...more like “will try to sabotage your future plan and make your life hell”...as if stress from COVID is not enough

I think programs will be more understanding if you never got the chance to take the exam than if you have a failure without any remediation showing you are capable of passing it :(

I've had hemorrhoids that were more helpful than that NBOME webinar was.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Just supports the notion of us needing to uprise and overturn the NBOME once we are attendings. If we care by then. Nbme should absorb them. This has been discussed a lot so beating a dead horse but just Incase someone from the NBOME reads these forums just letting you know your a quackhead. (t.t)

Reactions: 2 users
I've had hemorrhoids that were more helpful than that NBOME webinar was.
This is particularly true to all nbome/nbme/aamc/USMLE/medical schools lol. The let “watch and wait” approach but you still have to take xyz exams and take abc credits if you want to graduate...while time is running out.

Reactions: 2 users
I would not worry too much about it. I just survived the circle with a failed PE. To make matter worse, I only learned that I failed the PE 8 days before the ERAS submission deadline so you can imagine how freaked out and worried I was! To make matter worse, because it was so unexpected I was not prepared for it at all. I have only one audition at my favourite and also a very competitive program. So, by then, it is too late for me to do anything but gambled my future.

Fortunately, I have received many interviews and matched to my preferred specialty (IM) at a mid-tiered university program with a fellowship that I want. So, it all worked out for me. Granted, it is not my top 5 choices but I am happy just to get a job. Though I will admit that for 5 weeks post-match day I was in a daze that I matched below my top 5 especially they all sent me follow-up emails of rank to match. LIARS, lots of them!!! Left bad taste in my mouth about all these programs...

In any case, I understand that our circumstance is different and I don't have a health crisis to complicate the calculus but I just want to assure you or anyone who is in similar situations that I survived the failed PE with no passing score until November to submit into ERAS. It is certainly doable!!!

My only words of advice: apply smartly and broadly, don't restrict yourself to only one specialty and, if you can, try to get your letter writers to advocate for you.

LASTLY, don't trust the words of any PDs, aPDs or the chiefs. They ALL LIE, the lots of them, especially, from the DO programs!!!

Reactions: 3 users