Won't have much Pre-Reqs done by application, some questions for you guys.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TEXM86

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am an older student, I have two kids and have worked my whole life in a management role. I decided to go into Dentistry a few years back, started my undergrad and now I am in my Junior year, however I will not be applying until next year, 2019 when I take the DAT. I am a Houston Texas resident so my first choices for Dental Schools will be right here in Texas. After that I have been thinking of UoP.

My stats are 3.9 GPA
I've been shadowing currently and have 50 hours so far.
Both my parents never graduated High School and we grew up low income, I am not a URM however.
( not sure if any of that helps)

By the time I apply next year I am going to have these done so far.

Biol 1 & 2
Statistics
English 1 & 2
Chem 1
Org 1

Unfortunately I can't do more, because of scheduling and availability.

Are these enough for Dental Schools to consider me for acceptance, assuming I have good enough DAT scores?

I'll be missing Physics 1 and 2 and Chem 2 and I believe Bio Chem . Which I can all finish up by the time I matriculate.

Anyone here applied with the same, less?

You all are very helpful and I have been lurking here for awhile. Thank you for reading my post.

Members don't see this ad.

Difficult to say... thats a lot of conditions that the school would have to consider in order to accept you. Are you currently taking any of those prereqs right now? Maybe you can get physics done this summer at HCC or something

Difficult to say... thats a lot of conditions that the school would have to consider in order to accept you. Are you currently taking any of those prereqs right now? Maybe you can get physics done this summer at HCC or something

Summer 2 classes have already started my friend. I could probably fit in, Physics 1 Summer of 2019 next year. Would that help me out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough to say. If you ace your dat then, maybe? Wild guess for anyone, really. Texas is very competitive and a lot of your competition will have already gone above and beyond the pre-reqs. Best you can do is throw out an app and if it doesn't work out you should be solid that next year. Try and stand out in other ways as well.

Tough to say. If you ace your dat then, maybe? Wild guess for anyone, really. Texas is very competitive and a lot of your competition will have already gone above and beyond the pre-reqs. Best you can do is throw out an app and if it doesn't work out you should be solid that next year. Try and stand out in other ways as well.

Thank you for the reply. I've read a good amount of threads on here where people haven't finished up their prereqs and were still accepted, so I am taking a bit of a chance here. Maybe if I get Physics in, it would be better? I could also apply a bit later and take one more class in Summer 2.

Hi folks,

I am an older student, I have two kids and have worked my whole life in a management role. I decided to go into Dentistry a few years back, started my undergrad and now I am in my Junior year, however I will not be applying until next year, 2019 when I take the DAT. I am a Houston Texas resident so my first choices for Dental Schools will be right here in Texas. After that I have been thinking of UoP.

My stats are 3.9 GPA
Both my parents never graduated High School and we grew up low income, I am not a URM however.

Biol 1 & 2
Statistics
English 1 & 2
Chem 1
Org 1

Are these enough for Dental Schools to consider me for acceptance, assuming I have good enough DAT scores?

I'll be missing Physics 1 and 2 and Chem 2 and I believe Bio Chem . Which I can all finish up by the time I matriculate.

You all are very helpful and I have been lurking here for awhile. Thank you for reading my post.
That is most likely fine. I hear there is a school or two who want all prereqs done before you apply, but I definitely had less when I applied. I only had Chem 1 and 2, Bio 1 and O Chem 1. I had only one school tell me it wasn’t enough for them to accept me and was accepted at 7 others.

Reactions: 1 user
That is most likely fine. I hear there is a school or two who want all prereqs done before you apply, but I definitely had less when I applied. I only had Chem 1 and 2, Bio 1 and O Chem 1. I had only one school tell me it wasn’t enough for them to accept me and was accepted at 7 others.

Thank you for your reply my friend, this is similar to mine. I know it is all variables, may I inquire about your stats?

Yea I mean it's not about what's acceptable, it's about what makes you competitive. So it's all just guesswork, all you can do is apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

My stats are 3.9 GPA

Biol 1 & 2
Statistics
English 1 & 2
Chem 1
Org 1

Hi! I am an older student that had a similar number of prereqs done at my time of application and was taken seriously. I was missing Physics 2, Ochem 2, Ochem lab, and biochem, so I had a few more than you. I had a lower GPA than you with an upward trend and a masters in an unrelated field. I got a 24AA and 23TS.

If I remember correctly from filling out the Texas unified application, they do ask about personal hardships experienced and family education levels, so that might be helpful for you.

If you can get more shadowing and volunteering in, that would be best. I applied with only 50 hours of shadowing and 50 volunteering and it was definitely a topic of conversation. I tried to make the hours I had count and some schools were pretty understanding that my responsibilities had made it difficult for me to get in the hours they would have liked to see. They will probably give you a similar amount of slack because of your two kids, but it is better to be prepared if possible. I got a loooooot of rejections without interview and I don't think I would have if I had had better extracurriculars.

In terms of the DAT, the section I would warn you about is Gen Chem. Chem 2 has a lot of concepts in it that need to be expressed quantitatively and will take a longer time period to learn. Qualitative takes hours, quantitative takes days. Personally I would read Nivaldo Tro's Gen Chem textbook. It's pretty concise and easy to follow with lots of good example problems. It's the only section I see that I don't think is crammable where you haven't taken the class. Ochem 2 you can totally cram with Organic Chemistry as a Second Language vol. II or online videos. Just make sure that you only study the concepts that are going to be on the test so you don't waste precious time.

Hi! I am an older student that had a similar number of prereqs done at my time of application and was taken seriously. I was missing Physics 2, Ochem 2, Ochem lab, and biochem, so I had a few more than you. I had a lower GPA than you with an upward trend and a masters in an unrelated field. I got a 24AA and 23TS.

If I remember correctly from filling out the Texas unified application, they do ask about personal hardships experienced and family education levels, so that might be helpful for you.

If you can get more shadowing and volunteering in, that would be best. I applied with only 50 hours of shadowing and 50 volunteering and it was definitely a topic of conversation. I tried to make the hours I had count and some schools were pretty understanding that my responsibilities had made it difficult for me to get in the hours they would have liked to see. They will probably give you a similar amount of slack because of your two kids, but it is better to be prepared if possible. I got a loooooot of rejections without interview and I don't think I would have if I had had better extracurriculars.

In terms of the DAT, the section I would warn you about is Gen Chem. Chem 2 has a lot of concepts in it that need to be expressed quantitatively and will take a longer time period to learn. Qualitative takes hours, quantitative takes days. Personally I would read Nivaldo Tro's Gen Chem textbook. It's pretty concise and easy to follow with lots of good example problems. It's the only section I see that I don't think is crammable where you haven't taken the class. Ochem 2 you can totally cram with Organic Chemistry as a Second Language vol. II or online videos. Just make sure that you only study the concepts that are going to be on the test so you don't waste precious time.

Thank you so much for this write-up. Seeing your DAT scores made me nervous though haha nice job! Alright I will def follow your advice and save this reply, I have a year until I take the DAT but will start planning now!

My stats are 3.9 GPA
Biol 1 & 2
Statistics
English 1 & 2
Chem 1
Org 1
What's the rush? Usually gchem 1/2 are required before diving into organic. There is always a bit of confusion regarding application before prereqs are done. Keep in mind, that you will be competing with applicants that have a proven record in the sciences. It becomes awfully chancy to cut slack to someone lacking a considerable number of courses, not to mention that you will be at a decided disadvantage without them for the DAT.

Thank you so much for this write-up. Seeing your DAT scores made me nervous though haha nice job! Alright I will def follow your advice and save this reply, I have a year until I take the DAT but will start planning now!

Man, LIFE is hard. School is easy. If you approach the DAT with respect and work diligently and systematically there’s no reason you can’t score that high. Good luck to you!

What's the rush? Usually gchem 1/2 are required before diving into organic. There is always a bit of confusion regarding application before prereqs are done. Keep in mind, that you will be competing with applicants that have a proven record in the sciences. It becomes awfully chancy to cut slack to someone lacking a considerable number of courses, not to mention that you will be at a decided disadvantage without them for the DAT.

I'm turning 32 this September. I will be a senior in college next year, my kids are growing older, if I don't apply next year and get in 2020, then I would apply in 2020 and get in even later. I think the amount of schooling is putting a constraint on home life and finances, so I am trying my best to apply next year and get in. I understand about the Gchem 1 and 2. I am going to have to apply with the Pre-Reqs that I have, and will try various different schools, even if I don't get into my home state of Texas. Thank you Doc for the reply!

I'm turning 32 this September. I will be a senior in college next year, my kids are growing older, if I don't apply next year and get in 2020, then I would apply in 2020 and get in even later. I think the amount of schooling is putting a constraint on home life and finances, so I am trying my best to apply next year and get in. I understand about the Gchem 1 and 2. I am going to have to apply with the Pre-Reqs that I have, and will try various different schools, even if I don't get into my home state of Texas. Thank you Doc for the reply!
You apply when you are ready; your age and the age of your kids is a minor consideration.

Only apply when you believe you have put together your strongest application.

A friend of mine applied with a 3.4 and 16 AA DAT. Rejected without interviews to all 3 Texas schools. He took the rejection hard.
But he was a Biology major so he had all the pre-reqs as well as upper-level biology classes. He did an informal post-bac to raise his GPA and retook his DAT (18AA). Applied again and got into a Texas school. His story might be unique. I know that he applied early with great ECs also.

He successfully coached me through the application cycle.

I was a nontraditional application also and I will be in my 30s when I graduate and I sympathize with you a lot.
5 yrs ago I applied broadly with mediocre test scores and was rejected everywhere without an interview.

When you apply, apply EARLY. I applied in August and everything was verified and transmitted to schools in October. Only applied to the 3 Texas schools. ZERO pre-december interviews and I didnt interview until late January. Only got 1 acceptance this cycle. But that's all I needed.

I had GPA as 3.65 and 3.56 sGPA with 20AA, 20 TS, and 20 PAT if you were curious. You will need strong LORs and a compelling PS. Applying broadly is advisable but you and your family have to decide that. My wife and I decided we wanted to stay in Texas but it was a huge risk. It was hard to read about other SDNers getting 6 to 10 interviews when you apply late and are waiting on your first interview invite.

Part of me wishes I applied to UoP also because of their 3 yr program.

If you can attend it, UT-Houston has a mock interview day every April. I attended and it was incredibly helpful. At the mock interview a dental student will help look over your personal statement and then we had 3 mock interviews also. They felt just like the real thing. The event had a campus tour and a presentation from a faculty member also about the school. This mock interview day was just like a real interview. It was excellent practice.

You have a good GPA, pair that with a 20+ DAT, strong LORs, and a well written PS and that could be a recipe for an acceptance. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Only apply when you believe you have put together your strongest application.

A friend of mine applied with a 3.4 and 16 AA DAT. Rejected without interviews to all 3 Texas schools. He took the rejection hard.
But he was a Biology major so he had all the pre-reqs as well as upper-level biology classes. He did an informal post-bac to raise his GPA and retook his DAT (18AA). Applied again and got into a Texas school. His story might be unique. I know that he applied early with great ECs also.

He successfully coached me through the application cycle.

I was a nontraditional application also and I will be in my 30s when I graduate and I sympathize with you a lot.
5 yrs ago I applied broadly with mediocre test scores and was rejected everywhere without an interview.

When you apply, apply EARLY. I applied in August and everything was verified and transmitted to schools in October. Only applied to the 3 Texas schools. ZERO pre-december interviews and I didnt interview until late January. Only got 1 acceptance this cycle. But that's all I needed.

I had GPA as 3.65 and 3.56 sGPA with 20AA, 20 TS, and 20 PAT if you were curious. You will need strong LORs and a compelling PS. Applying broadly is advisable but you and your family have to decide that. My wife and I decided we wanted to stay in Texas but it was a huge risk. It was hard to read about other SDNers getting 6 to 10 interviews when you apply late and are waiting on your first interview invite.

Part of me wishes I applied to UoP also because of their 3 yr program.

If you can attend it, UT-Houston has a mock interview day every April. I attended and it was incredibly helpful. At the mock interview a dental student will help look over your personal statement and then we had 3 mock interviews also. They felt just like the real thing. The event had a campus tour and a presentation from a faculty member also about the school. This mock interview day was just like a real interview. It was excellent practice.

You have a good GPA, pair that with a 20+ DAT, strong LORs, and a well written PS and that could be a recipe for an acceptance. Best of luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Wow, I am sorry I am replying to this late, I just recently saw it. First off, I want to say congratulations in getting accepted! I thank you for all the information you have provided me. I have a very strong PS, I will be applying as soon as the applications open up and taking the DAT in July. I feel like the DAT is something I have to give the most amount of my energy in, that is sad about your cousin in the beginning, however I think applying with a 16 AA DAT might have seriously harmed him. I will be applying to multiple schools on top of the 3 in Texas and 1 at UoP. Trying to cast my net as far as I can. I feel like my life story ( I survived Thyroid Cancer, I worked as a Restaurant Manager my whole working life) will help me a bit, but only as a small factor. You are completely right though, I need that strong DAT. I will for sure PM you with any more questions I have, and good luck in Dental School friend!