words of advice from a new dental student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Empty pockets

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
advice, most of you are having a hard time choosing dental or medicine. ultimately do what you enjoy.

there are students in my dental class who went into dental b/c they said it was easier. WRONG. here is what I see so far.

med students get out of school around 1 at my school. we are there all day until 5 or later due to labs and meetings.

we have a dress code, they wear whatever they want, sandals, shorts, whatever. were in dockers and polo or scrubs.

we take 2 courses with the med students, mon thru thursday.

on friday we take additional classes in each of these courses for just the dental students thus giving us more notes to study.

the list goes on and on.

the darn med students seem like they are having a blast and enjoying school while we are working our tails off.

Members don't see this ad.

chill out dude. dental school is hard, yeah. but its not harder than med school. youre only in the first month of it right now

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who was in medical school and chose to apply to dental school, I can say that I seriously doubt dental school could be harder than med school. The sheer volume of work for med students is crazy (I am not saying that the volume of work for dental students is not a lot, but believe me it is not anywhere near what the med students go through).

It could be b/c we dont have residency after dental school. basically as soon as we graduate from d-school we can practice right away. so we ned to know everything right out of d-school. doctors have a few more years left of training w/ residency. besides, i know it sucks, but id much rather put in the effort for only 4 years than to do residency and postpone practicing even longer.

what school do you go to?

As someone who was in medical school and chose to apply to dental school, I can say that I seriously doubt dental school could be harder than med school. The sheer volume of work for med students is crazy (I am not saying that the volume of work for dental students is not a lot, but believe me it is not anywhere near what the med students go through).

You are would be seriously wrong. Dental students often take nearly the same courseload as med students years one and two, plus all of their pre-clinical classes/labs. My dentist related to me a story about his experience at UWSOD, where dental students take classes with med students, one of the professors chastised the med students for whining about their heavy class load, and told them to look towards the d students for inspiration, because theyhad such a heavier load.

I'm looking at the Creighton U bulletin right now and the in second year the students take around 50 credit hours per semester :eek:

:eek: :luck: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :laugh: :smuggrin: just get back to your homework. let the future docs learn to diagnose the thousands of diseases known to man, and they'll leave you to your teeth.

Dude, haven't you figured out that noone cares about your pre-med elitist bullsh*t yet?

With those "thousands of diseases known to man" to cure, I wonder how they'll ever have time to learn the proper technique for a cranial-anal fusion reversal. It might be worthwhile looking into as quite a few pre-meds I know could benefit from the procedure. I can't give an exact number because honestly I can't count higher than 32.

P.S. She got a 37R on her MCAT...doesn't that make her an expert on everything? Maybe we should listen to her. Speaking of which...jkh1886: I've been wondering about this for awhile, maybe you could help me out. In Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment", does Rodya identify more with the mare or Mikolka in the dream about his childhood? Also, I was wondering if God could microwave a burrito so hot that He couldn't eat it. Thanks for clearing those things up for me, they've been keeping me up at night.