Work experience <20 hours/week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PooshBag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I came across an old thread from 2011 saying that its good to list work experience, like grocery store employee stuff. However, most people who replied in the thread mentioned "20 or more hours/week."

Would one still list blue-collar work experience if it was substantially less than 20 hours a week? Such as 15 hours?

I ask my question, because I'm an assistant manager at a pizza shop (lol) and only work about 15 hours a week, usually, to help fund myself through college a bit. Some weeks i work 20 or more, but its averaging 15.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Quality, not quantity.

Did you learn anything at all from the experience? Time management, leadership perhaps? For three years I worked at a store where I had to wear red and khaki every shift, and I averaged at less than 20 hours per week. Despite that "substantially less" average, was a major talking point during my pre-health committee interview, and every doctor I shadowed (some members of adcoms) have brought that part of my resume up during my first shadowing shift, and asked me what I learned about people and customer service, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Ah! You are correct. The benefits i have earned from my job have been numerous. I fell into the typical pre-med mentality of quantity over quality. I apologize. Thank you for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just a pre-med, so take with a grain of salt, but I'm going to put down all my unrelated undergrad jobs, probably grouping them under 1-2 headings to not take up too much space.
I think it shows financial responsibility and good time management.
A good chunk of pre-meds don't do anything but pre-med stuff, and not all of us have that privilege, ya know?

Reactions: 2 users
Also good advice, Pusheen! I appreciate it a lot!

Absolutely list blue collar work experience even if its only 15 hours a week. There are several ADCOMs Ive met or heard say they like to ask have you ever worked in retail or at a restaurant before in interviews. Showing responsibility in working while at school is a big thing and matters more than many of us think.

Reactions: 3 users
Blue collar work is some of the most meaningful work that I've had. You deal with hardship and learn to work with people. List it for sure!

Definitely something to list, especially because a management position is sometimes synonymous with leadership.

And FYI fast food and other service jobs are pink collar, not blue collar. Blue collar jobs are mining, construction, sanitation, and other unskilled labor jobs in the working class stratum. Do not describe yourself as a blue collar worker in your application or interview unless you actually work these jobs. x

And FYI fast food and other service jobs are pink collar, not blue collar. Blue collar jobs are mining, construction, sanitation, and other unskilled labor jobs in the working class stratum. Do not describe yourself as a blue collar worker in your application or interview unless you actually work these jobs. x

Whatever bro. I'm pretty sure nobody except uptight people who like putting others down will really care about the difference between pink collar and blue collar. I've never even heard of the term pink collar until your post.

Absolutely list blue collar work experience even if its only 15 hours a week. There are several ADCOMs Ive met or heard say they like to ask have you ever worked in retail or at a restaurant before in interviews. Showing responsibility in working while at school is a big thing and matters more than many of us think.
It is so nice to hear that. Sometimes I feel like I am setting myself up for failure by working (hence, not a super star GPA) but then I see posts such as this :)
I know there are no excuses for not having a good GPA, but the way I see it, I am not out partying until I drop, my GPA is poo because I work and attend school!
Retail work is how I learned to deal with people who are impossible to please!

Whatever bro. I'm pretty sure nobody except uptight people who like putting others down will really care about the difference between pink collar and blue collar. I've never even heard of the term pink collar until your post.

I'm not putting down anybody. There's a significant difference between the terms. Just thought I'd give a heads up to prevent awkward questions during interviews.

And pink, white, and blue collar are all sociology terms, and soc is on the MCAT. Something to be aware of. ;)

I'm not putting down anybody. There's a significant difference between the terms. Just thought I'd give a heads up to prevent awkward questions during interviews.

And pink, white, and blue collar are all sociology terms, and soc is on the MCAT. Something to be aware of. ;)

I read your first post and had same reaction as @Noomm: what an uptight dweeb this gothicfoxes guy is! Pffff! Googled it and sure enough... Today I learned - thanks!

I never really drew much of a distinction between blue and pink-collar jobs. Having worked as a landscaper and in fast food, both jobs were messy, low-paying, tiring, and challenging.

Reactions: 1 users
I had no idea pink collar was a thing! I really appreciate the clarification! I will definitely include my work experience.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and help me out :)