Working as a TA in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BurghStudent

lurker
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This might be a silly question.

Is it possible to work as a graduate TA during med school? I know most grad TAships come with some tuition remission and a monthly stipend.
 
You might be confusing a few things here...

Graduate TA's are typically enrolled in MS or PHD programs, which require them to teach basic labs for 1 year prior to officially joining a lab and having that lab's PI cover his or her costs. This is how they get a reduced/free tuition + stipend.

Medical student TA's are simply employee's of the university. I was a TA for the anatomy department (both Allied Health and Dental Medicine) through MS2 and a tutor through MS3 and MS4. You get paid hourly (it's ****ty), but if it's something you enjoy then it's worth doing it.
 
This might be a silly question.

Is it possible to work as a graduate TA during med school? I know most grad TAships come with some tuition remission and a monthly stipend.


^^^^^
the above does a good job explaining TA's

depends on the school. ask the school you are attending. I know that the school I am attending (assuming I do not get off the waitlist elsewhere) does not allow students to have any jobs and anatomy TA's come from their postbac-linkage program.

check with your school
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, looks like I was confusing a few things.

Considering how hard med school is supposed to be, I don't think having a job unless absolutely necessary is a good idea.

Yay more loans.
 
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, looks like I was confusing a few things.

Considering how hard med school is supposed to be, I don't think having a job unless absolutely necessary is a good idea.

Yay more loans.

We have two pharmacists that worked through medical school as well as an EMS coordinator who worked 40 hours/week through MS1, 2, and 4. Judge your own ability once you get there and if you want to work go ahead and do it. I can't imagine a medical program telling a student that he or she is prohibited from work if they want to, nor could they ever find a way to police such a thing.