This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musclesmiyagi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although advisors in my undergraduate told me not to work, while enrolled in school, I ended up relatively fine. Has anybody here done any paid work outside of work study in pod school. Is it even doable?

Members don't see this ad.

People have done it in the past but I very highly recommend against it. There are better ways to use your time. WesternU pays students to tutor who have scored well and plenty of work study options are available that are flexible and allow you to study on the job.

Reactions: 2 users
Although advisors in my undergraduate told me not to work, while enrolled in school, I ended up relatively fine. Has anybody here done any paid work outside of work study in pod school. Is it even doable?
Since pod school is similar to MD/DO in that sense you can find that info on their forums. I have read that some even managed to work as nurses on weekends and around class schedule. But of course, everyone recommends not to work.

I have worked all the time in undergrad. Last 2 years I worked 50 hours per week on average and managed to get 3.86 for the last 2.5 years.

But, I am sure undergrad is nowhere close to pod school.

I think that any job that is flexible maybe can work in pod school, but any job that has a set schedule will be challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
People have done it in the past but I very highly recommend against it. There are better ways to use your time. WesternU pays students to tutor who have scored well and plenty of work study options are available that are flexible and allow you to study on the job.

Most of the schools I’ve interviewed at offer the same thing. They also say that getting a work study job is competitive? Not sure if that’s BS or not lol

Yep, schools offer work study opportunities as well as other job opportunities on campus.

Since pod school is similar to MD/DO in that sense you can find that info on their forums. I have read that some even managed to work as nurses on weekends and around class schedule. But of course, everyone recommends not to work.

I have worked all the time in undergrad. Last 2 years I worked 50 hours per week on average and managed to get 3.86 for the last 2.5 years.

But, I am sure undergrad is nowhere close to pod school.

I think that any job that is flexible maybe can work in pod school, but any job that has a set schedule will be challenging.

Agreed. I think I will evaluate after the first month or two, take the tests I need to take, catch my flow and then evaluate if working is the best thing for me.

It's an individual thing. i'd say Hold off at least 1st semester.
Some students do it, but it's more hobby based work (i.e- golf instruction on weekends or something similar) than money.
The money you'll make working part time won't put a dent in your loans. So make sure you do it for a reason besides the money.

Reactions: 3 users