Working in the UK with a Caribbean MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandyjay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have read many forums and found many of you very knowledgeable and helpful . Please help me. I am truly appreciative of any help I can get.

I am a UK citizen who has just started to study Medicine in a Caribbean Medical school which has a Basic Science Course of 5 Terms totaling 20 months in the country in which the school is registered . A period of 3 months is given to students to prepare for USMLE Part 1 .Most student prepare for this exam in the US. A pass in the USMLE Part 1 is required to enter the Clinical years which totals 72 weeks .Clinicals are done mostly in the US as green book rotations with some electives. The MD course can be theoretically completed in 40 months but most students take 48 . A pass in USMLE Part 2 ( both sections ) is required to be awarded the MD

I chose this school as it was not listed in the GMC UK as a school which required its graduates to seek special permission from the GMC to sit the PLAB as certain requirements were not fulfilled.

However recently I was told that to obtain UK registration it is neccessary to have 2 years in the country where the school is registered. As only Basic Sciences are conducted for 20 months this falls short of the 24 month requirement.
1.Can the three month USMLE preparation period be added on to the 20 months even though one may attend a Kaplan review in the US . The Basic Science Course at Saint George's University is 24 months and includes 4 months of holidays during which students return to their homes abroad.
2. By doing the first year of Clinicals in the UK will I be able to improve my chances of obtaining internship in the UK and joining the mainstream UK medical carreer path?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

you are taking it too literal, it's 2 academic years not calendar years!

Out of interest if you are a UK citizen why didn't you go to med school in the UK? It doesn't really sound like you know much about the UK system to be honest, just learning that sort of stuff will help you a lot. If your degree is from a school recognised by the GMC and you are a UK citizen you should be able to get a job. Most people will find it very odd though to be honest that you didn't go to a UK school, some might just be curious and ask you questions, others might not be as nice. Fair enough if you studied abroad if you weren't a UK citizen but I don't think I know of a single UK citizen that did their degree abroad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of interest if you are a UK citizen why didn't you go to med school in the UK? It doesn't really sound like you know much about the UK system to be honest, just learning that sort of stuff will help you a lot. If your degree is from a school recognised by the GMC and you are a UK citizen you should be able to get a job. Most people will find it very odd though to be honest that you didn't go to a UK school, some might just be curious and ask you questions, others might not be as nice. Fair enough if you studied abroad if you weren't a UK citizen but I don't think I know of a single UK citizen that did their degree abroad.

Hello bambi
here is the reason why you now know of one UK citizen who is studying for a Medical degree abroad.
If your parents are residing abroad as mine are and you haven't worked for over 4 years then you get classified as an " International Student" for educational purposes.There are very very few places for international students in Medical programmes for graduates as these are essentially for " Home or EU " students.

The 5 year medical programmes where about 10% to 15% places are reserved for " international students" are extremly competitive and prefer to take those with top A'Level results.
Thanks for your input. You are the 2nd person to reassure me that I can get GMC registration without too much of a hazzle .

There are plenty of UK citizens at SGU (in the Carib) and in US schools!

There are plenty of UK citizens at SGU (in the Carib) and in US schools!

Yeah I imagine there are I have just never even heard of 1 here working but obviously there are a lot of hosps, anyway it's certainly not common and I imagine most of those that study in the US work there too which is why we don't see them here!

Hello bambi
here is the reason why you now know of one UK citizen who is studying for a Medical degree abroad.
If your parents are residing abroad as mine are and you haven't worked for over 4 years then you get classified as an " International Student" for educational purposes.There are very very few places for international students in Medical programmes for graduates as these are essentially for " Home or EU " students.

The 5 year medical programmes where about 10% to 15% places are reserved for " international students" are extremly competitive and prefer to take those with top A'Level results.
Thanks for your input. You are the 2nd person to reassure me that I can get GMC registration without too much of a hazzle .
Two, actually. I'm British, too. :)

hey sandy Jay

how did you afford to go to the caribbean? i wanted to go to st george in grenada but it was too expensive, whaich medical school did you go to? and how did you fund it?

thanks man

hey sandy Jay

how did you afford to go to the caribbean? i wanted to go to st george in grenada but it was too expensive, whaich medical school did you go to? and how did you fund it?

thanks man

Savings. Own and family and a private loan . All carib schools in 1st and 2nd tier are expensive if you take into account all costs including airfares, tuition,
living expenses, medical insurance etc etc. Sorry I took so long to reply .