This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prevetrocks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It might not really seem like much, its not but I might finally have an opportunity to get a job working at least somewhat closely with animals. I sent an email to a local pet store owner and he replied half an hour later, asking when I could come in for an interview and how many hours i'm looking for. I usually haven't had much luck, I got an interview at a great place but a lot of candidates with more experience than me applied. A bit of why I get so nervous is there not being enough minorities in the veterinary field. So every time I've applied, with 64 hours worth of volunteer experience working closely with vets, and my smiled upon private college in my area, people are usually eager to interview me. Yet I have dealt with some subtle racism on occasion. I don't want to get my hopes up but I want to go in there and not have to worry about things like that. Any tips, insight on questions I might be asked, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a job listing? It wouldn't hurt to ask what the expectations and duties are...

If not I'd find out how many hours you can work and be prepared by knowing what they sell. I've never been much of a salesman but it's always good in that type of setting to think of customer service. For example someone buys a fish, while helping them get the fish you suggest a diet and other set ups. I don't see that as being pushy but offering suggestions for enrichment which you also happen to sell.

Good luck!

Is there a job listing? It wouldn't hurt to ask what the expectations and duties are...

If not I'd find out how many hours you can work and be prepared by knowing what they sell. I've never been much of a salesman but it's always good in that type of setting to think of customer service. For example someone buys a fish, while helping them get the fish you suggest a diet and other set ups. I don't see that as being pushy but offering suggestions for enrichment which you also happen to sell.

Good luck!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
My family owns pet stores, so here's a couple suggestions:

If asked why you want this job, don't only say, "Because you love animals!"

I love the suggestion from above of finding out what your duties are. Are you going for cleaning technician, sales, etc? Each will have a different set of responsibilities.

Be honest with how many hours you can realistically work while in school.

If you're going for sales, be knowledgeable about what he's selling is also a good point. He might not expect that and think he may have to train you, but it would be a good touch.

Emphasize your people skills! You'll be working with people a lot, whether they're clients or other employees.

Reactions: 1 user
It might not really seem like much, its not but I might finally have an opportunity to get a job working at least somewhat closely with animals. I sent an email to a local pet store owner and he replied half an hour later, asking when I could come in for an interview and how many hours i'm looking for. I usually haven't had much luck, I got an interview at a great place but a lot of candidates with more experience than me applied. A bit of why I get so nervous is there not being enough minorities in the veterinary field. So every time I've applied, with 64 hours worth of volunteer experience working closely with vets, and my smiled upon private college in my area, people are usually eager to interview me. Yet I have dealt with some subtle racism on occasion. I don't want to get my hopes up but I want to go in there and not have to worry about things like that. Any tips, insight on questions I might be asked, etc?
For any interview, describing real life examples of your people skills, customer service skills, etc. really goes a long way in an interview. Anyone can say "I love to work with people and help customers" but if you can give examples of how you do that, it helps. Also, it's never a bad idea to have an example of how you handled an upset customer or coworker up your sleeve. I've asked/been asked those a lot.

What will it be like? Like a first day of work but with no training?
I had an interview earlier today and was told right after that she wanted me to come in for a working interview Tuesday 5:30- 7:30pm. What should I expect? Any tips are useful.

What will it be like? Like a first day of work but with no training?
I had an interview earlier today and was told right after that she wanted me to come in for a working interview Tuesday 5:30- 7:30pm. What should I expect? Any tips are useful.
A working interview is usually to see how you handle animals and customers, maybe to also see how quickly you can be trained.

Tip: Don't make a new thread when you already have one going :)

They're also separate questions. One is for a regular interview which I got past today and the other is for a working interview I having coming up. That's why there are two different ones
A working interview is usually to see how you handle animals and customers, maybe to also see how quickly you can be trained.

Tip: Don't make a new thread when you already have one going :)

They're also separate questions. One is for a regular interview which I got past today and the other is for a working interview I having coming up. That's why there are two different ones
It is a bit like don't make a whole other book when it simply needs a next chapter. Having the entire story in one place is much easier than having no background and giving an opinion on one subject that has a couple more parts to it. Valuable advice is only as good as the base of knowledge given. :)

Reactions: 2 users