Working out in scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neutropix

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done it before when I unexpectedly had time to go to the gym. Probably going to do it again tonight instead of waiting in rush hour traffic. I'm genuinely not trying to impress anyone, and I'm aware people will likely think I'm a tool.

Would like everyone's thoughts on the matter.

Members don't see this ad.

If I saw you, I would think:
- oh, this person must be a doctor/dentist/nurse/-student and is showing off
- oh, this person is not a doctor/dentist/nurse/-student and is a tool

Don’t do it OP

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
F*** guys I really don't want to let you all down but I gotta get a chest work out in. Here is the good news: I found a thermal to wear as a top instead of a scrub top, so I'll just have Dickies all black bottoms, which are pretty low prof.

Just cut off the sleeves on your top. Make sure you wear a scrub cap with flames on it. Extra credit if you have a tattoo that says DOC.

Reactions: 26 users
Just cut off the sleeves on your top. Make sure you wear a scrub cap with flames on it. Extra credit if you have a tattoo that says DOC.
The Todd?!

Reactions: 1 users
who cares what people think. You do you. Rock the scrubs. Put on a white coat for good measure. Ain't nothing more sexy than a bare chested man doing bench presses with a white coat on.

Reactions: 9 users

This has late 80's bad-assery written all over it ---- LOVE IT

Extra bonus points --- bring a small boombox and crank Guns 'N Roses while you lift !!

Reactions: 1 user
who cares what people think. You do you. Rock the scrubs. Put on a white coat for good measure. Ain't nothing more sexy than a bare chested man doing bench presses with a white coat on.
Germ theory isn’t real.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't take long to change. If you are desperate, wear your workout clothes under the scrubs.

It's just a theory, just like evolution
Exactly. 911 was an inside job.

To get back on topic I’m here at the gym now. I’m blending in quite well and don’t think anyone has noticed.

To get back on topic I’m here at the gym now. I’m blending in quite well and don’t think anyone has noticed.
I don't think this is nearly as entertaining as you think it is

Fine but when I drop the barbell on my face you better rush over and ****ing save me

ya tool.

Reactions: 7 users
I've done it before when I unexpectedly had time to go to the gym. Probably going to do it again tonight instead of waiting in rush hour traffic. I'm genuinely not trying to impress anyone, and I'm aware people will likely think I'm a tool.

Why are you wearing scrubs if you are a pre-med? You sound like, and will look like, a tool, OP.

Why are you wearing scrubs if you are a pre-med? You sound like, and will look like, a tool, OP.
I’m a scribe. It’s my unifor
Fine but when I drop the barbell on my face you better rush over and ****ing save me

ya tool.
yeaj I’ll use my scribe skills by calling over an actual physician

Oh my god I didn’t realize this was the pre-med forum , I assumed OP was an M3/M4

8AAA70B8-BCA8-406E-939E-96AA5909288C.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
"In bird culture, this is considered a dick move"

Reactions: 3 users
Just don't be that guy that leaves a sweaty/greasy imprint of the back of his head on the bench after benching two dumbbells that are too heavy and drops them both with a huge thud on the last rep....

Last edited:
It takes 2 minutes to change and you know very well that you can do it. But I think that you want to trick yourself into thinking that you HAVE to wear scrubs to the gym in order to save time because secretly, you like working out in scrubs. Because in your head you think someone will look at you and go “OMG that guy is super smart AND he works out?” And that makes you feel good. And that’s fine, you do you. I’m not gonna judge. Hell, I dressed as Chewbacca for Halloween once to impress a girl that was into buff, hairy guys.

But tbh, if I saw someone wearing scrubs at the gym, regardless of their occupation, I would think that that person could use some IQ points. Because, really, it’s just weird. Tbh in 10 years from now you’ll probably reflect on the past and say “WTF DID I REALLY GO TO THE GYM IN SCRUBS??”

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Maybe it’s just me, but I wouldn’t say anything or stare, I would just think “he’s a tool but ok.” One of my many talents is that I can think without saying anything!

But tbh, if I saw someone wearing scrubs at the gym, regardless of their occupation, I would think that that person could use some IQ points. Because, really, it’s just weird. Tbh in 10 years from now you’ll probably reflect on the past and say “WTF DID I REALLY GO TO THE GYM IN SCRUBS??”

I've heard lots of stories over the years of MS1's wearing a white coat while studying at the local undergrad library. Trying to impress college girls by wearing a smock? Plenty of douchey behavior out there, folks.

You know the real OG docs roll without the white coat. It's how you carry yourself, not what you wear. Just sayin' :=|:-):

I've heard lots of stories over the years of MS1's wearing a white coat while studying at the local undergrad library. Trying to impress college girls by wearing a smock? Plenty of douchey behavior out there, folks.

I can imagine this scenario going down.

Bystander 1: "Someone's having a heart attack!! Is there a doctor in the house?"
Bystander 2: "Hey ask that guy in the short white coat. He's a medical student"
Bystander 1: "Hey med student can you help this man. He's having a heart attack"
MS 1: "Sure, I can recite the anaerobic glycolysis pathway his body is switching to due to lack of oxygen from poor circulation."
Bystanders: "... ... ... Let's get a real doctor."

It's kind of gross to work out in scrubs, IMO. Like, would you put a used examination glove in your pocket and carry around it with you?

Bystander 1: "Hey med student can you help this man. He's having a heart attack"
MS 1: "Sure, I can recite the anaerobic glycolysis pathway his body is switching to due to lack of oxygen from poor circulation."
Bystanders: "... ... ... Let's get a real doctor."

This is why a med student should never study at an undergrad library --- 99% of all the college kids will look at you like a douche

It's kind of gross to work out in scrubs, IMO. Like, would you put a used examination glove in your pocket and carry around it with you?

Gives me creepy thoughts about what happens to exam gloves that have been inside the orifices of celebrities?

Oh my god I didn’t realize this was the pre-med forum , I assumed OP was an M3/M4

A day in the life of OP

*Hot chick approaches OP as he does curls in the squat rack while wearing scrubs*

Chick: "Hey OP, nice arm pump you got there. Did you get so big from carrying your patients out of the ambulance yourself?"

OP: "No. Actually, I got this definition in my muscles from typing 90 WPM."

Chick: "I thought you docs had scribes for that sort of stuff."

OP: "I am a scribe."

Chick: "Then why are you wearing scrubs?"

OP: "It is my uniform."

Chick: "Why don't you change into gym clothes? I'm sure it would be more comfortable."

OP: "I'm just so busy with working as a scribe, curing cancer in my research lab, and feeding the homeless, that I don't have time to change my clothes."

Chick: "Apparently, you also don't have time to work your legs."

*Hot chick (a PA) walks away laughing*

If I saw someone at the gym with scrubs, I would think they're the janitor or something honestly. Representative heuristic works such that scrubs in gyms is not really associated with medical people

If I saw someone at the gym with scrubs, I would think they're the janitor or something honestly. Representative heuristic works such that scrubs in gyms is not really associated with medical people

We get it, you did well on the psych section of the MCAT.

Reactions: 6 users
I go to work in gym clothes, change into hospital scrubs for work, change back and hit the gym on my way home from work. Works great. Would highly recommend.

Reactions: 7 users
Scrubs are nasty after a shift. Don’t get germs all over their gym equipment

Reactions: 2 users
Showing off is that overweight MFer wearing a waist trimmer that covers his entire torso last night at the gym yelling on speaker phone in the locker room, who then proceeded to continue yelling into his phone at the cardio section while walking up and down the aisle for f**king 30 minutes drowning out the roar of the treadmills, etc. Even with earphones on turned full blast, that MFer's conversation in Spanish could be heard by the entire gym...

Showing off is that overweight MFer wearing a waist trimmer that covers his entire torso last night at the gym yelling on speaker phone in the locker room, who then proceeded to continue yelling into his phone at the cardio section while walking up and down the aisle for f**king 30 minutes drowning out the roar of the treadmills, etc. Even with earphones on turned full blast, that MFer's conversation in Spanish could be heard by the entire gym...

I don’t think that’s showing off. That’s just being a douche canoe.

You’re planning to unexpectedly have time to go to the gym?

Why draw attention to yourself? Also depending on what material yours is made from it could be extremely annoying to wear if you get sweaty.

You'd literally get thrown out of my gym, as scrubs are one hell of a fomite

Also, it's unsanitary--even if you're working out after your shift you have all sorts of MRSA and crap on you. And before a shift...well that's just gross too.

Reactions: 2 users
So normally I'm on the you shouldn't care what other people think of you wearing scrubs train like if you needed to wear scrubs to stop at Walmart or something but: 1. You're at a gym touching all the equipment with your sweaty body, cmon man that's not sanitary. 2. I also didn't realize you're not a med student/resident that's on call yet so cmon man you should have 5 seconds to change.

Just wear a tank top underneath your scrub top and take it off when you’re going to the gym. I’ve done that throughout Med school.

Why do you care if it offends someone’s sensibilities? Most of them are strangers who shouldn’t concern themselves with what others are wearing during workouts anyway.

Just wear a tank top underneath your scrub top and take it off when you’re going to the gym. I’ve done that throughout Med school.

Why do you care if it offends someone’s sensibilities? Most of them are strangers who shouldn’t concern themselves with what others are wearing during workouts anyway.

It's just that scrubs are a little nasty. You can wear anywhere from a thong to spongebob's sweater of tears and I wouldn't bat an eye. But if you sit down on a bench with scrubs with potential I.Diseases on you then it's a little gross.

Edit: maybe not a thong. Butt hairs are a little nasty too.

It's just that scrubs are a little nasty. You can wear anywhere from a thong to spongebob's sweater of tears and I wouldn't bat an eye. But if you sit down on a bench with scrubs with potential I.Diseases on you then it's a little gross.

Edit: maybe not a thong. Butt hairs are a little nasty too.

Are you telling me you don’t wax your butthole?