working out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious to hear what you guys/gals do to stay in shape.

Diet, excercise regimens etc. Please be specific and also let me know the mistakes you may have made in the past. Stuff that you did, but didn't work that great (according to whichever goals you were trying to accomplish) and then stuff that HAS worked for you.

I'm mostly interested in cutting up versus gaining mass per se, though I realize that strength training is for me, anyway, integral to trimming up.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the amount of time you have to devote to it.

First of all if you have no idea what to do I would recommend a book called "burn the fat, feed the muscle", by tom venuto. It is a good book that outlines the basics when it comes to eating right and working out. It's a quick read, and he takes time to explain his methods, which are sound.
The main thing you should come away with is that DIET DIET DIET is the number one thing that will get you lean.

Once you have read that, you should probably try to devote 30-40min 3-4x/week to go to the gym. It doesn't sound like much, but it can be rough to make it, especially on those long days on peds or cardiac rotations.
If you want to get extra lean doing cardio 4-5x/week may be needed...and that's super tough especially when you have to do it first thing in the morning.

Finally you have to decide if you want to use supplements or go "au naturel". For some things like whey protein it's a no brainer, but for other things like prohormones, DS, etc, it's a personal choice. I'm not qualifed to talk about AAS, but my stance is that using them without a valid Rx is like playing russian roulette with your medical license....no thanks.

I'm preparing for a competition and it takes a fair amount of time, but given I am single and have no family to worry about so it's no big deal. However, with good time management I have seen many mothers and fathers compete successfully.

Good luck CFdavid

It depends on the amount of time you have to devote to it.

First of all if you have no idea what to do I would recommend a book called "burn the fat, feed the muscle", by tom venuto. It is a good book that outlines the basics when it comes to eating right and working out. It's a quick read, and he takes time to explain his methods, which are sound.
The main thing you should come away with is that DIET DIET DIET is the number one thing that will get you lean.

Once you have read that, you should probably try to devote 30-40min 3-4x/week to go to the gym. It doesn't sound like much, but it can be rough to make it, especially on those long days on peds or cardiac rotations.
If you want to get extra lean doing cardio 4-5x/week may be needed...and that's super tough especially when you have to do it first thing in the morning.

Finally you have to decide if you want to use supplements or go "au naturel". For some things like whey protein it's a no brainer, but for other things like prohormones, DS, etc, it's a personal choice. I'm not qualifed to talk about AAS, but my stance is that using them without a valid Rx is like playing russian roulette with your medical license....no thanks.

I'm preparing for a competition and it takes a fair amount of time, but given I am single and have no family to worry about so it's no big deal. However, with good time management I have seen many mothers and fathers compete successfully.

Good luck CFdavid

Which prohormones are you refering to? I always thought that, while I guess androstendione worked for some famous athletes, most was aromatized away to estradiol, no??

Members don't see this ad :)
I try to make it to the gym 6 days per week. I managed to do pretty well during my surgery prelim, realizing call schedules screw it up sometimes.
I go for 60min a day- 30min of weights, 30min of cardio.
Day 1 and 4- biceps and back
Day 2 and 5- triceps and chest
Day 3 and 6- shoulders and legs
Day 7- rest
For cardio, I usually just run, get in about 3-4 miles a day
I also do crunches and planks 3 times a week in the morning before work.

I don't take any supplements regularly. Sometimes I'll make a protein shake in the morning for breakfast on the go. Other than that, just make sure I eat right. Low fat ground beef, lots of chicken, add in fish for a change of pace. I try to eat natural/organic, buy my vegetables and meat from local farmers.

Hopefully keep this up now that CA-1 year has started.
Any exercise is better than none, good luck!

Look at halovar, beastdrol, formestane. You have to be careful though because some of these PH/DS are banned, but I believe for now the above are completely legal. Again do your research on PH/DS because with some of them you can get pretty severe side effects.

Good luck

How do you find the time or energy to work out?

Do you do it in the early early morning (but my gymn is closed and I don't like to go for a run alone at 5 am) or late in the evening?
How do you stay motivated?

I have some pounds to shed and can't find the energy to exercise regularly (used to, but in the past two years I couldn't find the will to do it)

Treadmill hardcore runs, i.e., trying to get as close to near max heart rate as possible.... Do that for about 3-4 miles, at least 3-4 times weekly. Then after the cardio workout, lift weights with consistent rotations: chest one day, arms the next....etc.... Also, when possible, I like to play gym basketball with the boys--nothing beats a good 'ol fashion, five on five, basketball game.:)

Diet, excercise regimens etc. Please be specific and also let me know the mistakes you may have made in the past. Stuff that you did, but didn't work that great (according to whichever goals you were trying to accomplish) and then stuff that HAS worked for you.

I'm mostly interested in cutting up versus gaining mass per se, though I realize that strength training is for me, anyway, integral to trimming up.

Thanks.

Genetics has helped me the most. I've stayed about about the same weight for the last 12 years. I'm around 30 now. I suppose that doesn't help that much though...so...

Cardio is really important. It's often neglected by guys in the gym. I do running because I'm fast and its my preference for cardiac pain. I usually keep my heart rate above 170. I get it up into the 190s when I'm going nuts, but that's my 100% max. I usually do 6-7 miles.

You have to be careful with running though...it can take away muscle if you do too much. I got down to about 5% body fat with running 40-50 miles/wk...right now I do about 25-30 per week.

It all depends what you're going for. What are your goals...strength, speed, or both?

I go for the combo - I want to be as fast, lean, and strong as possible.

How do you find the time or energy to work out?

Do you do it in the early early morning (but my gymn is closed and I don't like to go for a run alone at 5 am) or late in the evening?
How do you stay motivated?

I have some pounds to shed and can't find the energy to exercise regularly (used to, but in the past two years I couldn't find the will to do it)

My workout is on my schedule for the day, so it needs to be done. I work out right after I get home. Come in the door, change, and go right to the gym. No sitting down, no having a snack, go right away or you're hosed. It's only 60 minutes out of my day, and it keeps me mentally sane. Nice way to work out any aggression that has built up during the day.

As far as motivation, I guess I'm just narcissistic. :)

My workout is on my schedule for the day, so it needs to be done. I work out right after I get home. Come in the door, change, and go right to the gym. No sitting down, no having a snack, go right away or you're hosed. It's only 60 minutes out of my day, and it keeps me mentally sane. Nice way to work out any aggression that has built up during the day.

As far as motivation, I guess I'm just narcissistic. :)

I'm a bit of a compulsive planner, so planning it right after I get home might work.
I'll try it and let you know!

Genetics has helped me the most. I've stayed about about the same weight for the last 12 years. I'm around 30 now. I suppose that doesn't help that much though...so...

Cardio is really important. It's often neglected by guys in the gym. I do running because I'm fast and its my preference for cardiac pain. I usually keep my heart rate above 170. I get it up into the 190s when I'm going nuts, but that's my 100% max. I usually do 6-7 miles.

You have to be careful with running though...it can take away muscle if you do too much. I got down to about 5% body fat with running 40-50 miles/wk...right now I do about 25-30 per week.

It all depends what you're going for. What are your goals...strength, speed, or both?

I go for the combo - I want to be as fast, lean, and strong as possible.

Wow. That's pretty hard core. Good for you man.

I'm just trying to lean up. I think I'm going to work in a lot more strength training in order to increase metabolic demand. Some weights, but also push ups and even little modified "squat jumps" to get those large muscle groups working...

Have been doing mostly cardio, but have had much better results in the past (and faster) when working in some weight training (got back to the gym today actually).

Thanks for the input and motivation. Keep em coming.

I lift heavy **** (specifically a program called The Juggernaut Method by a dude named Chad Wesley Smith). I've made some great progress in the last 4 months on this program. I've been lifting for years. It's my only hobby right now and I love it.

Coupled with that I intermittent fast, taking my first meal at 12:00 and my last meal around 2000. I'm low carb/high fat/high protein on non-workout days with an increase in my carb consumption on workout days post-workout (some nutrient timing and "carb back loading" ala Kiefer at http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com).

http://www.leangains.com is a great site about intermittent fasting with excellent reviews of the literature regarding IF.

The above may sound complicated but it's pretty easy to do and has a lot of literature supporting it. The holy grail is building muscle/strength while burning fat and I've been able to achieve pretty good results. I don't ever do chronic, steady state cardio as that would be counterproductive to my goals. Sprints, plyometrics, sledge hammer strike intervals etc. are my additional conditioning.

I'm 70s big (http://www.70sbig.com) meaning in order to be called a man you need to weigh more than 200lbs, have been making constant gains in the gym (although I'm sure Jet can still squat more than me) and am pretty lean and athletic at the same time.

You can PM me if you'd like more info about The Juggernaut Method (or anything else); I can email you some background on the program as well as a spreadsheet.

I lift heavy **** (specifically a program called The Juggernaut Method by a dude named Chad Wesley Smith). I've made some great progress in the last 4 months on this program. I've been lifting for years. It's my only hobby right now and I love it.

Coupled with that I intermittent fast, taking my first meal at 12:00 and my last meal around 2000. I'm low carb/high fat/high protein on non-workout days with an increase in my carb consumption on workout days post-workout (some nutrient timing and "carb back loading" ala Kiefer at http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com).

http://www.leangains.com is a great site about intermittent fasting with excellent reviews of the literature regarding IF.

The above may sound complicated but it's pretty easy to do and has a lot of literature supporting it. The holy grail is building muscle/strength while burning fat and I've been able to achieve pretty good results. I don't ever do chronic, steady state cardio as that would be counterproductive to my goals. Sprints, plyometrics, sledge hammer strike intervals etc. are my additional conditioning.

I'm 70s big (http://www.70sbig.com) meaning in order to be called a man you need to weigh more than 200lbs, have been making constant gains in the gym (although I'm sure Jet can still squat more than me) and am pretty lean and athletic at the same time.

You can PM me if you'd like more info about The Juggernaut Method (or anything else); I can email you some background on the program as well as a spreadsheet.

I think the bold is right on, even if one's goal ISN'T to be 70's Big. Thanks for the info, btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess it depends on what your goals are. For me, I'm a cyclist in a mountainous environment, so being light, having excellent CV endurance are key. What I have found is that mixing up the cardio has helped my cycling the most. I inline speed skate several times a week, bike 5 miles to/from work, and go on a long climb about once a week. Varying the workouts has helped me avoid some of the overuse injuries that have plagued me in teh past (IT band syndrome, etc). The skating is a lot like resistance training, sort of like lunges, which really helps to balance quad/glute/hams.

I'm a big proponent of turning otherwise wasted time into valuable time, like riding a bike to work, rather than driving. I acknowledge that this may not be feasible d/t climate, roads, and lack of a decent commuter bike. We'll see if I can keep it up during some of the more rigorous months of intern year...

Thanks.

Check out Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Jim Wendler's 5-3-1. Wendler's program is very flexible, so I'd recommend that one.

Eat slightly below maintenance. Do this and you will get cut and strength will increase without complicating things.

Check out Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength or Jim Wendler's 5-3-1. Wendler's program is very flexible, so I'd recommend that one.

Eat slightly below maintenance. Do this and you will get cut and strength will increase without complicating things.

I agree, these are both good programs. Rippetoe's book Starting Strength is definitely worth picking up. It has entire chapters dedicated to teaching how to do the basic compound movements that will put much more muscle on you than doing hundreds of crunches and curls per day. It also outlines a basic work out plan that requires 3 days of lifting per week. Squats, deadlifts, and various presses are where its at. Become strong in these exercises and you will be able to out lift most other people in curls and other isolation movements that you haven't done in years.

Married with 4 kids (age 4mos to 6yrs...and yes our house is busy), but I find it easy to do P90X. It may not be what the hardcores are looking for, but it cuts out the time of going to the gym, and I can knock it out in less that an hour at home. Heart beats hard and it keeps me lean. I also am training for a marathon, so cardio is easy to come by. As a baseline, I have always run about 20-25 miles per week, but now mileage is increasing.
As far as diet, I pretty much eat what I want with good sense to avoid heavy simple carbs and fats. :thumbup:

I just picked up a pair of running shoes, by NEWTON. Apparently, they are quite unique in the way they are made and how you need to run differently in them. anybody using these? acclimation period?

Continued cardiovascular health all!

D712

Thanks.

During my med school, residency and early private practice years I

LIVED

BREATHED

The Gym.

Didn't matter what time I left school/residency/work.

Lemme say that again.

Didn't matter.

I emphasize that since, if you wanna be fit, if you have some personal goal burning inside of you, if you wanna do a triathlon, whatever, or in my case, if you wanna be a

Professional Bodybuilder and make money off your body,

what's going on around you

WON'T DETER YOU.

Circa 1996,

I had a dream.

Last year of residency. Transitioning into private practice.

And yet this dream persisted about going professional with the bodybuilder gig.

At my pinnacle I was 6'0", 246 lbs, pretty ripped.

Not even close to being competitive on the professional level....Flex Wheeler....Dorian Yates...

I couldn't touch those guys.

I tried. And failed.

And that's ok in my book since I achieved a physique that I wanted....a physique unobtainable to 99.99%...

Moral of the story?????

I did this during residency and early private practice.

I am human.

So are you.

Send your excuses about how you can't "find the time"

ELSEWHERE.

If I can do it, and

uhhhhhhhhh,

I DID IT,

So can you.

No excuses.

Last edited:
During my med school, residency and early private practice years I

LIVED

BREATHED

The Gym.

Didn't matter what time I left school/residency/work.

Lemme say that again.

Didn't matter.

I emphasize that since, if you wanna be fit, if you have some personal goal burning inside of you, if you wanna do a triathlon, whatever, or in my case, if you wanna be a

Professional Bodybuilder and make money off your body,

what's going on around you

WON'T DETER YOU.

Circa 1996,

I had a dream.

Last year of residency. Transitioning into private practice.

And yet this dream persisted about going professional with the bodybuilder gig.

At my pinnacle I was 6'0", 246 lbs, pretty ripped.

Not even close to being competitive on the professional level....Flex Wheeler....Dorian Yates...

I couldn't touch those guys.

I tried. And failed.

And that's ok in my book since I achieved a physique that I wanted....a physique unobtainable to 99.99%...

Moral of the story?????

I did this during residency and early private practice.

I am human.

So are you.

Send your excuses about how you can't "find the time"

ELSEWHERE.

If I can do it, and

uhhhhhhhhh,

I DID IT,

So can you.

No excuses.

juice?

Have not posted in awhile. Just started a new workout plan last month massive cardio workouts. Lately I will run 20-40 minutes, then lift for roughly 30-45 min, and finally swim for 30minutes. Initially running was tough but now that I am in week 5 I feel excellant and its slowely becoming an addiction. Right now my pace is slow I run at 4.5mph and increase to roughly 5.0mph. I initially started at 4.0mph. My goal is by years end to run at 6.0mph for 20 minutes. My strength has suffered I probably rep 275-335x 10 times. The best thing is I have dropped a wopping 20lbs in the last month.

Have not posted in awhile. Just started a new workout plan last month massive cardio workouts. Lately I will run 20-40 minutes, then lift for roughly 30-45 min, and finally swim for 30minutes. Initially running was tough but now that I am in week 5 I feel excellant and its slowely becoming an addiction. Right now my pace is slow I run at 4.5mph and increase to roughly 5.0mph. I initially started at 4.0mph. My goal is by years end to run at 6.0mph for 20 minutes. My strength has suffered I probably rep 275-335x 10 times. The best thing is I have dropped a wopping 20lbs in the last month.

that's really impressive. gives me food for thought!!! although i won't be
benching 335 anytime soon!!!! :eek::eek::eek: i'm 6'4'' and i would scare some serious peeps if i did...!!! alas, i have a tennis players physique. :mad::mad:
are you running lifting swimming at home or gym or combo? rock on!

Thanks.

I'm 5'10, got up to 190 junior year in college (ugh), then did the following: cut out fast food (there was a Subway/Chick-fil-A on campus), switched from 2% to skim milk, went from regular sodas to zero cal sodas, exercised 45-60min 5-6X per week. Dropped 25 lbs in less than 3 months.

I'll do weights in the gym occasionally, but have inadvertently ended up on I guess the Herschel Walker plan when it comes to strength training: all pushups/situps/pullups and variations thereof. That way all you need is a door and a pull-up bar and you're good to go.

I've never really been a runner based on my body type, so my normal cardio is 2-3mi ~5x a week. However, halfway through intern year I noticed my conditioning was lacking so really focused on the running. I'm now training for a half-marathon, currently at 7mi on my training regimen. Trust me, I never thought I'd see the day I'd run 7mi non-stop.

So much of it is mental; especially on those post-call days where you didn't get any sleep. But paradoxically, a good run will really boost your energy level. To the poster who was concerned about not having enough energy: it's a snowball effect. The more you exercise, the more energy you have to exercise. You just have to get the ball started.

Also, thought I'd put in a plug for the Vibram FiveFingers. I don't really use them anymore for longer runs, but for short-medium runs they're great once you get used to them, and it will help you long-term with your running form.

If you're going to go with a minimalist running shoe, forget the Vibrams... they look ridiculous.

I am sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with this statement.

FiveFingers-KSO-8.jpg

vibram1.jpg

Umm....

What.....?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As for working out. Do something you like to do and do it a lot + good diet.

If you are not into it... then you won't have the motivation to keep it up at 200%.

If you're going to go with a minimalist running shoe, forget the Vibrams... they look ridiculous. Merrell and New Balance both have very nice "barefoot" style running shoes that accomplish the same thing as VFF without making you look like an idiot. I have the New Balance Minimus and I really like them.

Here are those running shoes:

http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22875M/50390/Mens/Barefoot-Trail-Glove

http://www.shopnewbalance.com/newbalanceMT10BO.htm

Yeah, I'm not really concerned about how something looks if they work (caveat: I did go with all black instead of some crazy combo). That said, I haven't been overwhelmed by them, and I have looked at minimalist running shoes instead; will probably try them out with my next pair. One thing I HAVE noticed is that toe-socks (with regular tennis shoes) definitely cut down on blisters.

has anyone bought any of the adjustable dumbells and if so which do you recommend?

just bought me some pre and post workout supplement drinks full of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and creatine. I used to be a major power lifter, have switched to biking and running the past few years. now back to lifting, now that my back is better, hopefully it stays that way.
I would love to lose about 10 pounds and get cut and be able to run a marathon or half marathon in the next year in a respectable time and look good doing it.
6'4" 235 lbs
5k- 25 minutes
i do a lot of arms since I f ed up my back two years ago
70lbs dumbells curls at max

Thanks.

www.bodyrock.tv

for us girls, cardio is the key.... sure i work in a little toning with resistance bands but no weights.... wanna look like a girl, ya know.... i watch what i eat in general but end up cheating on call and.... in general, more protein, less sugar.
i do 3 miles almost every day. 5 if i get off early or on a weekend. i run unless i have phone calls to friends i need to catch up on or have to catch up on studying... then i walk... multi-tasking, its what us anesthesia folk do best... and i average just under 70 hours per week working in residency. no excuses, you make the time.

just bought me some pre and post workout supplement drinks full of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and creatine. I used to be a major power lifter, have switched to biking and running the past few years. now back to lifting, now that my back is better, hopefully it stays that way.
I would love to lose about 10 pounds and get cut and be able to run a marathon or half marathon in the next year in a respectable time and look good doing it.
6'4" 235 lbs
5k- 25 minutes

i do a lot of arms since I f ed up my back two years ago
70lbs dumbells curls at max

Dude that's STOUT.:thumbup:

Totally agree, vibram makes some ridiculous looking shoes. I'm convinced they are laughing their arses off saying "people actually are buying these shoes".

Like Sevo said, working out needs to be a lifestyle not a chore. Jet obviously made it a lifestyle, dude is still stout.

I'm in some of the best shape of my life and I haven't lifted a weight or been to a gym in years.

Hey wanted to get some opinions from some of you smart people who are also hard core work out people.

My son is 10 and we have been running together now for the past year. We run about 4 miles and he is steadily improving, he has gone from running 13.5 min miles to about 11.5 min miles.

As he has improved, I have thought about buying some weights. The iron masters weights look pretty good and I am thinking of buying them. I can lift the heavy weights and then take some weight off and have him do some.

I also have bought some supplements recently. The supplements have protein, creatine, and vit b12, b6, etc...Below is the list of ingredients..

Calories 40
Carbohydrates 9g 3%
Sugars 0g *
Vitamin B-6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 13mg 625%
Vitamin B-12 (Cyanocobalamin) 70mcg 1,167%
Calcium (From Phosphate And Silicate) 100mg 10%
Phosphorus (Phosphate) 40mg 4%
Sodium 85mg 4%
Potassium 55mg 2%
Assault Proprietary Blend 20,000mg *
Muscle Explosion NO Matrix
Beta-Alanine, L-Arginine Blend (L-Arginine AKG 2:1, Di Arginine Malate, L-Arginine HCL), Citrulline Malate, Glycine, Suma Root Extract
Strength Domination & Recovery Matrix
Creapure (Creatine Monohydrate), CON-CRET® Creatine HCL (100% Concentrated Creatine), L-Glutamine
Mind Connection Matrix
Taurine, Pyroglutamic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT), Papain 1000, Caffeine, L-Aspartic Acid, Pyridoxine HCL, Cyanocobalamin

I looked into the creatine and the research is spotty at best. I was thinking of having him take about a quarter of a serving prior to our workouts, which are usually on average only 3 times per week.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, and you all may agree with her. My son is already a strict vegatarian, not my doing or my wifes, he just doesnt like to eat animals due to "compassion" for the animals, dont know where he got it, but I give him props for his convictions. So I am thinking he needs some extra creatine and some extra protein.

Right now he has the physique of a runner, slim and tall, hes only 10, but he reminds me a lot of myself at his age, he will probably hit puberty a little later and his height will be in the 99% tile.

I just want my son to have the competitive advantage, I want him to be the best of the best. I want him to be a leader. My wife is a lot more of the laid back type, "its okay for him to not be first, as long as hes having fun", whereas I am "he has fun if he wins, if he loses he still has fun but I would think he would want to win, and if he pushes himself to the limit and trains hard and doesnt win, then I give him props and next time continue to train and hope to win" is my mantra.

Any advice? Sorry if I sidetracked this thread...

Totally agree, vibram makes some ridiculous looking shoes. I'm convinced they are laughing their arses off saying "people actually are buying these shoes".

Like Sevo said, working out needs to be a lifestyle not a chore. Jet obviously made it a lifestyle, dude is still stout.

I'm in some of the best shape of my life and I haven't lifted a weight or been to a gym in years.

Ya know, we hear this a lot. But, it's so damn true! :thumbup:

Noy, besides skiing/snowboarding, what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Hey wanted to get some opinions from some of you smart people who are also hard core work out people.

My son is 10 and we have been running together now for the past year. We run about 4 miles and he is steadily improving, he has gone from running 13.5 min miles to about 11.5 min miles.

As he has improved, I have thought about buying some weights. The iron masters weights look pretty good and I am thinking of buying them. I can lift the heavy weights and then take some weight off and have him do some.

I also have bought some supplements recently. The supplements have protein, creatine, and vit b12, b6, etc...Below is the list of ingredients..

Calories 40
Carbohydrates 9g 3%
Sugars 0g *
Sodium 85mg 4%
Potassium 55mg 2%
Beta-Alanine, L-Arginine Blend (L-Arginine AKG 2:1, Di Arginine Malate, L-Arginine HCL), Citrulline Malate, Glycine, Suma Root Extract
Creapure (Creatine Monohydrate), CON-CRET® Creatine HCL (100% Concentrated Creatine), L-Glutamine
Mind Connection Matrix
Taurine, Pyroglutamic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT), Papain 1000, Caffeine, L-Aspartic Acid, Pyridoxine HCL, Cyanocobalamin

I looked into the creatine and the research is spotty at best. I was thinking of having him take about a quarter of a serving prior to our workouts, which are usually on average only 3 times per week.

My wife thinks I'm nuts, and you all may agree with her. My son is already a strict vegatarian, not my doing or my wifes, he just doesnt like to eat animals due to "compassion" for the animals, dont know where he got it, but I give him props for his convictions. So I am thinking he needs some extra creatine and some extra protein.

Right now he has the physique of a runner, slim and tall, hes only 10, but he reminds me a lot of myself at his age, he will probably hit puberty a little later and his height will be in the 99% tile.

I just want my son to have the competitive advantage, I want him to be the best of the best. I want him to be a leader. My wife is a lot more of the laid back type, "its okay for him to not be first, as long as hes having fun", whereas I am "he has fun if he wins, if he loses he still has fun but I would think he would want to win, and if he pushes himself to the limit and trains hard and doesnt win, then I give him props and next time continue to train and hope to win" is my mantra.

There are very few, if none at all

athletes that don't eat meat.

Number two,

Creatine works.

Ten grams a day.

No loading dose needed, no blah blah blah like it says on the product,

take 10g creatine daily and it will enhance your workouts and muscular development.

I've used creatine periodically during the last ten years.

It works.

Last edited:

Goes to show ya, physical fitness, anesthesia, whatever,

There's alotta ways to

SKIN A CAT.

The GYM

Has always been

MY PLACE.

Past to present.

I go there.

Routinely.

When I'm there

nothing else matters.

We all have our ways.

Pick one.

Ya know, we hear this a lot. But, it's so damn true! :thumbup:

Noy, besides skiing/snowboarding, what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

Why would I mind.;)

I mtnbike and ride motocross a ton. Play hockey. Basically, I remain active. I haven't been to a movie theater or mall in years. I don't eat crap. My vacations are adventures and I return to work to recover. I do have dumbbells at home that I use for rehab after injuries. Just crashed 2 weeks ago and separated my shoulder and a finger. Will need to rehab the shoulder here soon. I'm not baggin on the gym, I just don't need to go there. I live in a place that is so full of activities and people that are so fit that I just try to keep up.

Calories 40
Carbohydrates 9g 3%
Sugars 0g *
Sodium 85mg 4%
Potassium 55mg 2%
Mind Connection Matrix

Agree with Jet, creatine works, and there are some studies that show this...much better science than any other supplement - except maybe glucosamine for arthritic pain.

Does your son take milk? Milk is a great source of protein, plus it contains natural anabolic steroid substances to help with growth.

In my opinion, I bet your son would be much better off using his body weight as his gym (push ups, pull ups, burpies, P90X ab ripper - hell of an ab workout). There is a ton of stuff on the net about the body gym concept - and a lot of ripped people doing it. In the time it takes to drive to the gym, most people can have an intense workout done in their home. Some equipment is nice - like a pull bar, or dip bar, or captains chair (that has all three).

In addition, he will get the most gain from his running time - probably - from doing high intensity interval training - which works well with using your body as a gym concept.

Just wanna add I wouldnt give creatine to a 10 year old tho.

Yo Jet. I'm pretty ignorant about creatine, so bear with these questions. I've heard "rumors" about kidney issues while using it. Do you need to increase fluid intake?

Do we know of a mechanism? Does it have side effects. (I think I've heard bloating from my brother who took it years ago.)

Any input would be helpful.

anybody deadlift or squat?

if you squat? do you like front, high bar, low bar, a2g, etc?

anybody deadlift or squat?

if you squat? do you like front, high bar, low bar, a2g, etc?

Deadlifts and heavy squats scare me. I think it is better to define what one is tyring to get out of these exersizes...what is the goal?

As a pain guy, I think the load that deadlift and heavy weighted squats puts on your discs is a bad thing. Look at many of the ex NFL players - tons are very bad off - have had many spine surgeries and are chronic opioids.

Once you define the goal, you can probably find something that loads your spine less and accomplishes the same thing.

For example, EMG studies have shown that lunges have the most muscle activation in the glutes, and work as well for the leg muscles as do squats. You can lunge with barbells and this greatly reduces spine load.

Also, one legged squats are very good (EMG studies) and really require very little weight. Try doing a one legged squat with no weight - standing, all the way to your heal and back up - very difficult.

Squats are much better than vertical or horizontal leg press (worst exersizes per the EMG stuff)

I like this attempt.

I played football in college, tried to make it into the NFL but my body just didn't hold up along the way (discectomy x1, torn labrum + torn joint capsule/rotator cuff x2, several fractures and other fun stuff). At my largest I was around 310 lbs at 6'4, hovering between 16-20% BF. As a reference, my neck for my dress shirts was a 22, 36/37 sleeves, my waist was 38-40. Large.

When I had my final shoulder surgery (Nov '09) I essentially gave up heavy weightlifting and focused on running/swimming and diet correction alongside my rehab work because I was just tired of being so big (not to mention that it now served no purpose). I'm now ~240, 10ish% bf and it's pretty much all due to a clean(er) diet. My waist is now a 34. I saw abs in the mirror for the first time in my life recently, which seems paltry to the ectos/runners around here but not for a lifetime big country boy.

I've started lifting again because frankly, I've missed it. I'm nowhere near my previous strength levels, but honestly: who cares? I improve every time I hit the gym, and I think I can close in on Master/Elite class in a year or two. I'm using 5/3/1 as my general template with a few twists here and there. Squats and deadlifts are perfectly safe - given your technique is good and you don't let your ego get you into a bad situation. Compound lifts give you training economy which is much more important for injury prevention than simply being afraid of a lift because you think its injurious.

Ditto on IF as a diet plan being the real deal. I recommend IF if for no other reason than to rid yourself of "missed-breakfast-guilt" and/or "didn't eat 6 meals a day fuuuuuuuu". When I hit 250 I hovered at that weight for months, and since transitioning to IF I've hit a pretty steady cut/recomp which has been enormously pleasant because I don't have to think at all.

Regardless of whatever you do: incremental and big picture perspective is going to be the most important. Adherence and consistency are FAR more important than the program you use or what exercise you're doing, so pick program(s) you'll realistically stick to for the long haul and make tweaks as you go.

JPP (or anyone out there),

1. Do you guys take every set to failure (other than warm-up, obviously)?

2. How much do time you rest between sets?

3. What tempo do you think is optimal for increasing size?

4. Do you guys do sprints or intervals after lifting to increase GH release?

5. Is NO (nitric oxide) just marketing hype or does it really work?

Thanks, guys. :thumbup:

Deadlifts and heavy squats scare me. I think it is better to define what one is tyring to get out of these exersizes...what is the goal?

As a pain guy, I think the load that deadlift and heavy weighted squats puts on your discs is a bad thing. Look at many of the ex NFL players - tons are very bad off - have had many spine surgeries and are chronic opioids.

Once you define the goal, you can probably find something that loads your spine less and accomplishes the same thing.

For example, EMG studies have shown that lunges have the most muscle activation in the glutes, and work as well for the leg muscles as do squats. You can lunge with barbells and this greatly reduces spine load.

Also, one legged squats are very good (EMG studies) and really require very little weight. Try doing a one legged squat with no weight - standing, all the way to your heal and back up - very difficult.

Squats are much better than vertical or horizontal leg press (worst exersizes per the EMG stuff)

I like this attempt.

The squat is the greatest exercise ever invented for your entire lower body and indirectly some core work.

Done properly it will propel your growth to a higher level.

JPP (or anyone out there),

1. Do you guys take every set to failure (other than warm-up, obviously)?

No.

2. How much do time you rest between sets?

As long as it takes to mentally prepare for the future torture.

3. What tempo do you think is optimal for increasing size?

Honestly I don't think there's ONE answer for your question.

4. Do you guys do sprints or intervals after lifting to increase GH release?

YES AND NO. Yes, implemented STAIRS as cardio 3X weekly...NO on your whole GH theory

5. Is NO (nitric oxide) just marketing hype or does it really work?

As a resident I learned that delivering NO for, say, intractably high pulmonary vascular resistance was a BIG DEAL.

INTRUSIVE.

INVASIVE.

Required a

BIG MACHINE

to help us.

Hard to believe the supplement industry can deliver

THE SAME

in a pill.

Thanks, guys. :thumbup:

You're welcome.