Working while in Pharmacy School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mkice9

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours do you guys work per week while attending pharmacy school?

When it comes time to find a job after graduation, wouldn't a company rather hire someone who's worked for them before than someone who hasn't? My parents are saying I should spend Saturdays working for one retail chain and Sundays working at a different retail chain. Do you think it is necessary to gain experience with as many companies as possible while in pharmacy school for the sole purpose of better job opportunities? For those of you who have graduated and now work in retail, did you find a job with a company you had already worked for or with a company you had never worked for?

Members don't see this ad.

When it comes time to find a job after graduation, wouldn't a company rather hire someone who's worked for them before than someone who hasn't? My parents are saying I should spend Saturdays working for one retail chain and Sundays working at a different retail chain. Do you think it is necessary to gain experience with as many companies as possible while in pharmacy school for the sole purpose of better job opportunities? For those of you who have graduated and now work in retail, did you find a job with a company you had already worked for or with a company you had never worked for?

Mkice--

Most companies will not let you work for a competitor anyways...so your parent's idea is probably out the window :oops:

You may get some experience through your required school things, either rotations or early practice experiences. My whole P1 class will spend 56 hours in the first year at one of three retails (Kroger, CVS, or Target) doing early community practice experiences. But the earlier poster is correct - it is considered a conflict of interest to work for two competitor pharmacies. Now, you can work for 1 retail and 1 hospital at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is always better to start working and gain experience in a pharmacy before you graduate so you have an idea of what it's like to work at a particular pharmacy setting. Like the previous poster said, most retails won't let you work at a competitor at the same time. My advice is to get a job at a retail store and at a hospital since these are the 2 main areas for pharmacist to work at.
That is what I'm doing. During the school year, I work every other weekend at the hospital and work the other every other Saturday at WAGS.

10-12 per week: 1 weeknight and a Sunday

I don't think the companies themselves care all that much. As long as you have retail experience, you'll be able to understand the ins and outs of all the different reports and procedures. All retail pharmacies have to accomplish the same end results and will use similar methods to do so--they just might have different names for them. They all need to manage their inventory, check for outdates, judge customer perception and happiness, and file their hardcopy scripts. All the computer systems need to let you see what a patient paid last month, print duplicate labels, and enter multiple insurances. You just need to be competent enough to understand the principles--this is what the company is looking for--and then learning the keystrokes to do it is more like training a monkey (not that you are a monkey after all our schooling!).

The big reason for sticking with a company after graduation is that you will be that much closer to 3 weeks of paid vacation per year. Say you receive this after 5 years with the company...after 4 years of school, you only have 1 more to receive this benefit. If you move to another company, you have to start all over--sometimes this is worth it, though. You have to decide what is best for you, not the company.

20 hours/week: every other weekend and 2 nights/week (hospital)

This is a good thread, keep the insight coming.

18-20 hours a week. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday nights (hospital).

If someone could clarify the following for me that would be much appreciated.

Do most/all pharm students work during school?
Is it required?
In what capacity do they work?
Is it similar to what techs do?
If you are a tech prior to starting pharm school, do you do the same kind of work as your non-tech collegues?
Does it matter if you work in a hospital or retail?
When do you start working as a pharm student, right away, as a P1, after P1 year, or further along?

Thanks for insights.

Is it required?
If you are a tech prior to starting pharm school, do you do the same kind of work as your non-tech collegues?
When do you start working as a pharm student, right away, as a P1, after P1 year, or further along?

Thanks for insights.

ditto

Is it required?

Thanks for insights.

1) It is not required, and alot of people say that you should NOT work your first year. However, some people choose to do so anyway, and some people have to (if I want to be able to live in an apartment and not a cardboard box, that is).
2)I do the same work as a tech, and a few things they aren't allowed to do (by Arkansas law). Mostly tech duties.
3) If you mean school work, yes.
4) No.
5) You can start whenever.

Is it required?

Thanks for insights.

SobeGekko and gsinccom-- I'll try to answer some of your questions ;)

1) Do most/all pharm students work during school? Definitely not all, but I would say a majority of the students in my class worked at least a few hours during the school week. If I had to guess a number...I'd say about 70% or so did. The amount each student worked varied quite a bit too though (it ranged from just a few yours a week to full time...although putting 40+ hours a week is verrrry rare...not many people can handle that kind of a workload whlie in pharmacy school!)
2) Is it required? No, not at all. In fact some professors discouraged us from working during the school year. But the fact is a lot of people need to work for that extra income...or just want the experience. You will be doing 'early practice experience' too of course. At my school it's 4 hours/week (at a community pharmacy during P2 year and at a hospital during P3 year).
3) In what capacity do they work? Once you're in pharmacy school, you will apply/receive your Pharmacy 'Intern' license...so you are no longer a tech. You'll have additional responsibilities that a tech doesn't have (and this all depends on the State you're working in)
4) Is it similar to what techs do? Somewhat sure...you'll often be doing all of the same things a tech does too. But usually (depending on how qualified/how much experience you have), you'll have other duties to perform. You might want to check a previous thread from not too long ago where people posted the kinds of things they do as an intern in their specific state)
5) If you are a tech prior to starting pharm school, do you do the same kind of work as your non-tech collegues? Well...if you work as a tech prior to entering pharmacy school, you'll definitely have a heads-up as far as how things are done in the pharmacy. Students that work in a pharmacy for the first time as an intern, will definitely have some catching up to do. That's not to say it can't be done...I have some friends that had never stepped into a pharmacy until their first EPE. The pharmacist you work with will usually gauge your abilities and give you duties that correspond with what you are/aren't ready to do...hopefully! ;)
6) Does it matter if you work in a hospital or retail? I'm not sure what you mean by this one...matter to who? I would definitely recommend being exposed to both and seeing which one you see yourself happier in.
7) When do you start working as a pharm student, right away, as a P1, after P1 year, or further along? Like I mentioned earlier...at my school, EPE's (which don't pay by the way...it's only for experience) start our P2 year...but this is different at every school.

Well...I hope this helps!!! :oops: Let me know if you have any other questions or if I wasn't clear on anything ;)

thanks for the insight.

I've heard and also imagine that trying to work at a three year program will be harder than doing so at a 4 year program. If I were applying to four year programs I'd try and work part-time but as I'm only applying to three year programs I've yet to decide if I'll work on the side or not. one three year program I'm applying to discouraged working on the side. ...

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know if working will bode well for me if Im in a 3yr program with 19 creds each trimester

does anyone have any thoughts about this?

should I work or just concentrate on studies

*note, I dont really need the money

During my P-2 year I took 20 hours/week, during P-3 I took between 32-35, and right now I'm turning out 38 hours/week waiting for my rotations to start.

Thanks everyone for the very informative replies!

psurocks and gsinccom, I'm a P1 at a 3 year program and I just started work last week with 15 hours per week. I'm waiting to see if I can handle it.... Most people in the thread mentioned 20 hours per week so 15 per week doesn't sound too bad. Hmm we'll see.

Thanks everyone for the very informative replies!

psurocks and gsinccom, I'm a P1 at a 3 year program and I just started work last week with 15 hours per week. I'm waiting to see if I can handle it.... Most people in the thread mentioned 20 hours per week so 15 per week doesn't sound too bad. Hmm we'll see.

what college you at? and where do you work?

psurocks, I go to USN and work at CVS.

Mkice--

Most companies will not let you work for a competitor anyways...so your parent's idea is probably out the window :oops:

Not if you don't tell them... duh...

It's really up to the individual. Before pharm school, I had 2 jobs and went to school full time. I'm currently not working and it's a nice break. Since school is on the quarter system here there are more breaks throughout the year for me to work. I plan on working my butt off for the breaks and long weekends.

During my P-2 year I took 20 hours/week, during P-3 I took between 32-35, and right now I'm turning out 38 hours/week waiting for my rotations to start.

You work that many hours? Ouch, how you do it?

I work 20-25 hours/week. P-2

I am a P1 student working 32 hrs/week in a hospital. I sit at a microscope all day though so I am able to listen to lectures, etc. some. It's tough, especially with 2 little ones and my husband on an opposite shift as me (we don't have daycare).

I dont know if working will bode well for me if Im in a 3yr program with 19 creds each trimester

does anyone have any thoughts about this?

should I work or just concentrate on studies

*note, I dont really need the money

Your choice for working should be based on how much workload you can handle. I have classmates who take 18 credit hours, work 10 to 15 hrs/wk and still maintain a descent gpa. On the other hand, if you're someone who doesn't understand the course material the first or second time through it would not be advisable to work such hours; instead just focus on school.

do you guys know how much hospital pharmacy interns get paid at the starting rate? I just got a starting rate offer from a really good hospital in boston of 12.25/hr for every other weekends... but for some reason I thought that was kinda low (i thought that would be what technicians get paid not interns).. don't hospital interns in general get paid more than retail interns??? my friend from a suburb in MA gets paid like 18/hr .. but she's technician certified and an intern and shes been working there for 3 years..... or maybe i'm wrong and it's just a rumor that hospital interns get paid more? :rolleyes:

do you guys know how much hospital pharmacy interns get paid at the starting rate? I just got a starting rate offer from a really good hospital in boston of 12.25/hr for every other weekends... but for some reason I thought that was kinda low (i thought that would be what technicians get paid not interns).. don't hospital interns in general get paid more than retail interns??? my friend from a suburb in MA gets paid like 18/hr .. but she's technician certified and an intern and shes been working there for 3 years..... or maybe i'm wrong and it's just a rumor that hospital interns get paid more? :rolleyes:

There are regional differences and every hospital is different.

I would pay an intern with no experience like a pharm tech with no experience. And the technician wage is ranges from $12 to $20 per hour.

If you want to do community/chain pharmacy I would work as much as possible. GPA isn't that important if you don't want to do a residency.

The big reason for sticking with a company after graduation is that you will be that much closer to 3 weeks of paid vacation per year. Say you receive this after 5 years with the company...after 4 years of school, you only have 1 more to receive this benefit. If you move to another company, you have to start all over--sometimes this is worth it, though. You have to decide what is best for you, not the company.

Is the difference that much? As a intern, even you work 20hr/wk, you are part time at most, how can one year of part-time be counted as the same as a year of full-time pharmacist?

Is the difference that much? As a intern, even you work 20hr/wk, you are part time at most, how can one year of part-time be counted as the same as a year of full-time pharmacist?

Again...as Zpack mentioned...there are regional differences...

If you are a non-benefited intern, your years of experience count toward nothing, unless you are in a unionized arrangement of some kind or your corporation has an agreement that your years of work count toward something. But....do you really want to decide what company you will work for as a P1 or 2?

As for working as an intern in multiple corporations or even in "competing" hospitals...no one cares - we expect it. We like to hear about your experiences and none of us ever expect nor would we ever ask about privileged information - we all know better. We want you to have multiple experiences and lots of work experience situations.

However, as a pharmacist, I don't want you to compromise your education (which I'd really rather you get!!!!) for hours working. But...everyone has other economic reasons which may motivate you. But...there are experiences which you can gain from work that you can't gain from school - so, as in all things, its balance!

As far as what I allow my interns to do....it depends on many things. How much education they have, how much experience they have, how reliable they have been with the tasks I've given them, how much supervision I think they need....etc.... The longer I work with you, the more trust I have & the more responsibility I give. When I work with graduate interns, I just need to sign off what they do, unless they are really bad...then I need to check everything!

It's all based on date of hire.

Example: if you work 4 hours every 28 days during four years of pharmacy school, you will have 4 YEARS seniority with the company when you graduate. Your vacation, eligibility for profit sharing treats you as a 4 year veteran employee, instead of a new hire.