worried about financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tricia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really worried about not getting enough finanicial aid to cover everything, seeing as how i hear most people arent able to carry a job while in school.

im not sure how financial aid works exactly. i've completed fafsa, i just need to send it in. but im not sure what school im going to yet (between a private school and a non-private school). does the amount they give you depend on where you go and how much their tuition is? are there other places to get financial aid other than loans from fafsa?

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on the school and how much money you/your family make, they'll give you a limit to how much you can take out in federal loans. Sometimes people can get grants if their income is very low.

If you need more money than the government is willing to give you, you can take out private loans (the interest rates are higher). Amounts available vary with each private loan company.

You will have to take out a lot of loans. If you do have time for a job, then it would cut back on the amount of loans you'd have to take out. Coming from a person who has lived in an apartment/dorm for four years, living expenses are expensive! Expect to take out a good amount of money in loans.

Don't worry though. I've heard good things about payment plans after we graduate.

I'm really worried about not getting enough finanicial aid to cover everything, seeing as how i hear most people arent able to carry a job while in school.

im not sure how financial aid works exactly. i've completed fafsa, i just need to send it in. but im not sure what school im going to yet (between a private school and a non-private school). does the amount they give you depend on where you go and how much their tuition is? are there other places to get financial aid other than loans from fafsa?

Don't you worry. They give you money according to your cost of attendance.(Tuition and fees+ room and board for the school year) You will be able to work in the summer. If you're not sure about which school to send your FAFSA just they schools you got accepted into on the list. It won't hurt you. Later on you can fdecide where to go. A private school in general is more expensive that an in state status school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the school and how much money you/your family make, they'll give you a limit to how much you can take out in federal loans. Sometimes people can get grants if their income is very low.
QUOTE]

How can they base what they give you on what you make, if you arent going to be making that anymore once you're a student?

Tricia - I'm just starting this process myself, but as far as basing your expected contribution on how much you make now when you won't be working anymore:

The financial aid office at Creighton told me that as long as my expected contribution was less than $35,000, it wouldn't make a difference because I would still be able to max out my Federal loans. If your expected contribution comes back greater than $35,000, the aid office can work with you to base your aid on how much you will make this year (instead of last year). I think there is a little line or two about it on the FAFSA that says if you are currently working full-time but will be leaving the job to enter school you should contact the financial aid office at your institution.

Good luck!

Usually Pharmacy school advise you against working while in school or at least that is the case here.

Because you are in a professional degree program you will receive a considerably larger amount compared to a undergraduate program.

Usually you can claim independent status because of the fact you are in a a graduate program and that will drop your parents contribution and probably your own contribution.

Currently I receive ~$32000 in student loans per year. $16000 per semester. Usually that is enough. You just have to live like a student while you are in school and when you graduate you can live like a professional.

You also have to figure cost of living across the states. I live in Texas so my loans are probably not something you would see on the West Coast.

Hopes this helps.