Worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I submitted my PharmCAS application last night and it was verified today. So far, I had three schools call me to set up an interview time. Since I now have been invited to interview, does that mean my stats were good enough? Considering it didn’t even take a day for schools to start contacting me.

My GPA is 3.50, and I also have an Associate’s degree. I have no research or experience, which I regret not getting a job. I do have a Pharmacy Technicians License, and I do plan on getting a job next semester/becoming nationally certified. My PCAT was also not that great... 41%. One of the Pharmacist I talk to say a 41% is good enough.

I don’t think have time to take the PCAT again because I am applying for Fall 2018. So do you think there’s any way I could improve my stats? I feel like I’m okay, but it is definitely freaking me out that I don’t have any experience when most of the people on here have years of it, while having a high PCAT/GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Getting called for an interview could mean many things -not a guarantee :) Just keeping working hard and get pharmacy experience ASAP (because when the interviewer asks why you want to be a pharmacist, what you learned from your pharmacy experience you should have something to say).

Okay, so I submitted my PharmCAS application last night and it was verified today. So far, I had three schools call me to set up an interview time. Since I now have been invited to interview, does that mean my stats were good enough? Considering it didn’t even take a day for schools to start contacting me.

My GPA is 3.50, and I also have an Associate’s degree. I have no research or experience, which I regret not getting a job. I do have a Pharmacy Technicians License, and I do plan on getting a job next semester/becoming nationally certified. My PCAT was also not that great... 41%. One of the Pharmacist I talk to say a 41% is good enough.

I don’t think have time to take the PCAT again because I am applying for Fall 2018. So do you think there’s any way I could improve my stats? I feel like I’m okay, but it is definitely freaking me out that I don’t have any experience when most of the people on here have years of it, while having a high PCAT/GPA.
Which schools did you apply to that gave you those interview invites? But anyways, in most cases, the fact you recieved an interview opportunity means you already look good on paper; aka they want you despite the fact you had zero pharmacy experience and scored a low PCAT score. And even if you got a pharmacy job this upcoming semester, I don’t think it would help much with your overall application since more then likely your interview would have occurred already. Honestly all you can do now to increase your chances is to prepare your responses for the interview. Good luck!

In general, if a school has invited you to interview, they are definitely interested in you as an applicant, stats and all. I think it's safe to say your application impressed them. :)

If you're applying in Fall 2018, you can take the PCAT again in February (2/1-2/14) or in July if you want to apply early in the fall. You can enter all your information and submit your PharmCAS application even if you haven't taken the PCAT yet if you write down the date you're registered to take the PCAT (I've done something similar myself). You can make surprisingly big improvements on your PCAT - only a few more questions right on a given section can increase your score 20%ile points or more in that section. A PCAT score around 30 or 40% is typically the minimum threshold for most schools, but more competitive applicants will often have scores in the 60-80%ile range.

Getting pharm tech experience will also help a lot. Admissions committees understand that not everyone has the ability or opportunity to get hundreds upon hundreds of hours of experience. *BUT* they want to know that you know what you're getting yourself into and that your passion for pharmacy is alive and well after you've experienced it firsthand. You can also talk about this experience in your interviews to demonstrate that you are comfortable working with a wide range of patients, can handle difficult encounters professionally, etc.

Sounds like you're doing everything right, and hopefully in a few months (or this time next year) you'll receive an offer you can't turn down!