worried about GPA - PLEASE help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBB97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a freshman at a very competitive college, and I'm finishing up my spring semester. I am very concerned however because I received a B in chemlab and a C in calculus 2. I know it's not the end of the world, but how badly will this affect my chances for med school? Is a mid to upper tier med school still an option? Should I retake the course I got a C in? I heard that as long as I improve and that my grades show an upward trend that I should be alright, but at the moment I can't help but worry like crazy about it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a freshman at a very competitive college, and I'm finishing up my spring semester. I am very concerned however because I received a B in chemlab and a C in calculus 2. I know it's not the end of the world, but how badly will this affect my chances for med school? Is a mid to upper tier med school still an option? Should I retake the course I got a C in? I heard that as long as I improve and that my grades show an upward trend that I should be alright, but at the moment I can't help but worry like crazy about it. Thanks!
A B is definitely nothing to worry about. One C isn't going to ruin your chances anywhere either. More Cs will, but 1 wont. Retaking probably isn't necessary, it was calc 2, not biochem.

I also found out that I just got a B+ in chemistry. I calculated my cumulative GPA and I would have to get an A in all of my other classes until the end of junior year in order to get a 3.71.... Which doesn't seem very feasible... Don't most mid-uppper level med schools on average have students with GPAs of 3.8ish? Do you think it's possible for me to compensate for a low GPA with a really good MCAT score or anything else?

Members don't see this ad :)
If the average GPA is 3.8, that means half the people have less than that. It's most definitely possible to make up for a below average GPA. Just make sure everything else is stellar. Personally, I'm applying with a 3.5 cGPA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't most mid-upper level med schools on average have students with GPAs of 3.8ish? Do you think it's possible for me to compensate for a low GPA with a really good MCAT score or anything else?

Focus on bringing up your GPA and taking the MCAT before making a school list.