worried about GPA - PLEASE help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WBB97

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a freshman at a very competitive college, and I'm finishing up my spring semester. I am very concerned however because I received a B in chemlab and a C in calculus 2. I know it's not the end of the world, but how badly will this affect my chances for med school? Is a mid to upper tier med school still an option? Should I retake the course I got a C in? I heard that as long as I improve and that my grades show an upward trend that I should be alright, but at the moment I can't help but worry like crazy about it. Thanks!
 
I am currently a freshman at a very competitive college, and I'm finishing up my spring semester. I am very concerned however because I received a B in chemlab and a C in calculus 2. I know it's not the end of the world, but how badly will this affect my chances for med school? Is a mid to upper tier med school still an option? Should I retake the course I got a C in? I heard that as long as I improve and that my grades show an upward trend that I should be alright, but at the moment I can't help but worry like crazy about it. Thanks!
A B is definitely nothing to worry about. One C isn't going to ruin your chances anywhere either. More Cs will, but 1 wont. Retaking probably isn't necessary, it was calc 2, not biochem.
 
I also found out that I just got a B+ in chemistry. I calculated my cumulative GPA and I would have to get an A in all of my other classes until the end of junior year in order to get a 3.71.... Which doesn't seem very feasible... Don't most mid-uppper level med schools on average have students with GPAs of 3.8ish? Do you think it's possible for me to compensate for a low GPA with a really good MCAT score or anything else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the average GPA is 3.8, that means half the people have less than that. It's most definitely possible to make up for a below average GPA. Just make sure everything else is stellar. Personally, I'm applying with a 3.5 cGPA


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Don't most mid-upper level med schools on average have students with GPAs of 3.8ish? Do you think it's possible for me to compensate for a low GPA with a really good MCAT score or anything else?

Focus on bringing up your GPA and taking the MCAT before making a school list.