Worried about low practice scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poof0078

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had low scores on their practice tests but still did stellar on their actual MCAT. I have taken the kaplan course and throughout all my tests I have gone up and down and then leveled off all three of my sections but the overall score is still a low 20. I study and do a lot of practice questions but for some reason I cannot raise my score. :confused: I am concerned considering I will be taking the MCAT in a WEEK!!! Does anyone have any advice??? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm...you mean your scores have been up and down, and recently plateaued in the low-20s? Or that's the highest they've ever gotten?

How ready do you feel? Have you been studying hard? Do you think you would do anything different if you took it later?

Of course I'd never sell yourself short, but you also have to be realistic...only you can determine if you're achieving your true potential, or have been just encountering a string of difficult (and unlucky) tests.

My scores have plateued as well, and they haven't been too great. However, I am going to take the test on Saturday because I still feel confident, and am going to the best I can. If you are lacking confidence, that may be an indicator that you are not as fully prepared as you can be. However, if you go into the test feeling confident that you know as much as you possibly can, go for it.

I'm in the same situation. I read how all these guys are getting 30+ on their AAMC practice tests and its getting a little depressing. I've been scoring mid-20s for all four AAMC tests. I feel confident with a majority of the material, so I am going to take it this Saturday, I just hope I don't have to take the blasted thing again in August.

I would also like to hear from someone that was in the same situation, but scored well on the real deal. I'm not looking for miracles, but I think I need at least a 30 to be competitive at the TX schools. Although, maybe going from 25-26 to 30 WOULD be a miracle? Who knows.

Good luck to everyone this Saturday!

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc Martins said:
However, I am going to take the test on Saturday because I still feel confident, and am going to the best I can. If you are lacking confidence, that may be an indicator that you are not as fully prepared as you can be. However, if you go into the test feeling confident that you know as much as you possibly can, go for it.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.
:thumbup:

Hey guys...I commend you all for forging forward. Be confident and do your best...
I've got a personal tidbit to share; I hope it can help (albeit a bit late). I did AAMC 3R and 5R , and got a 26 and 23 respectively. I was going nuts and all. I was asking my lady friend to review Physics with me (I keep my notes on notecards). Midway through the third card, it was apparent to both of us that I had some bits of facts memorized, but I had little UNDERSTANDING and even less ability to connect how things fit together. So I hunkered down and LEARNED the stuff. Last Friday, I did AAMC 4R with a 28 - and only 1 question away in each area from a scaled score that would have been a point higher in each area (coulda been a jump from 23 to 31!!!!!). So...maybe if you can look introspectively - and honestly - and ask yourself if you REALLY KNOW what's being tested, you'll find where problems lie, and how to fix them.

poof0078 said:
I just wanted to know if anyone out there has had low scores on their practice tests but still did stellar on their actual MCAT. I have taken the kaplan course and throughout all my tests I have gone up and down and then leveled off all three of my sections but the overall score is still a low 20. I study and do a lot of practice questions but for some reason I cannot raise my score. :confused: I am concerned considering I will be taking the MCAT in a WEEK!!! Does anyone have any advice??? :)

whats the range, like 20-23 or 24-26?
are u takin any more AAMC exams?

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. I am going into that test knowing that I have studied my hardest and I will put my all into the MCAT on Saturday. So in response to to someone's question, the highest score I ever recieved on my Kaplan full lengths was a 24. I also heard that Kaplan makes their tests harder to push their students to study. Has anyone heard this? In addition, I heard that AAMC tests are much easier than Kaplan. Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thanks and good luck to all on the MCAT this Saturday!!! :) :)

You should definitely take at least 1 aamc test, you will probably gain more confidence. Although I haven't taken them, most people believe that kaplan tests are not very accurate predictors.

i refused to take kaplan or TPR tests seriously. I'd get like 8-9 on them. To my surprise i did really well on AAMC 3r (38). so yeah, tpr/kaplan tests suck. I'm not sure if AAMCs are easier but they sure as hell are more straightforward than the kaplan trickery.

It is impossible to predict what will happen to your score without knowing more about your prep: what you have actually been doing in your studying, how you have attacked problem areas, what you might do differently if you waited for August, how you will respond under pressure on Saturday, etc..

I have students who gained points last week and will gain more points this week, because they have been working hard to address their weakest areas. At least one of them has 24 as their highest score, but I believe could hit 30 if they pull everything together (and, they are going to stop studying for the MCAT on Wednesday night).

I would hope that your Kaplan instructor has been providing helpful guidance and advice along the way, and could give you some good feedback.