Worse on 2nd MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLTmsu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have no idea how this happened but I did much worse on my second MCAT. I got a 503 on the first try and a 493 on the second. No idea how this happened as I was scoring better on practice exams, my only possible explanation is that I was mental exhaustion. I studied super hard for this one and didn't give myself a break day from the end of finals to even the last second before I took the exam.

I have a 3.6gpa
3 years research experience with one publication,
1000+ clinical hours as a PCA on a cardio/renal floor
lots of volunteer hours ect....

My question is do I have to send in both my MCAT scores or can I send in just the first one, at this point I am only planning on applying to DO school and I am wonder what my chances are now with that second MCAT being so awful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have no idea how this happened but I did much worse on my second MCAT. I got a 503 on the first try and a 493 on the second. No idea how this happened as I was scoring better on practice exams, my only possible explanation is that I was mental exhaustion. I studied super hard for this one and didn't give myself a break day from the end of finals to even the last second before I took the exam.

I have a 3.6gpa

My question is do I have to send in both my MCAT scores or can I send in just the first one, at this point I am only planning on applying to DO school and I am wonder what my chances are now with that second MCAT being so awful.

They're going to question your judgement since you did significantly worse the second time around. I think you still have time for the upcoming cycle if you take the MCAT in June. Get everything submitted as soon as you can (primaries, LOR's ready to go, etc), and your MCAT score will be in shortly after you are verified.

Take the MCAT again, but this time give yourself plenty of time to study and get your head right. I have taken the MCAT three times myself and been accepted to medical school. I got 24, 26, and 516. One year between each test.

Reactions: 1 users
What was the breakdown on your first MCAT?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
My bad I mistyped the last two sections; My actual first attempt was
125-chem/physics
126-verbal
126-biology
126-psy/soc

They're going to question your judgement since you did significantly worse the second time around. I think you still have time for the upcoming cycle if you take the MCAT in June. Get everything submitted as soon as you can (primaries, LOR's ready to go, etc), and your MCAT score will be in shortly after you are verified.

Take the MCAT again, but this time give yourself plenty of time to study and get your head right. I have taken the MCAT three times myself and been accepted to medical school. I got 24, 26, and 516. One year between each test.

I think I would die if I took it again this year, three times in 9 months is too much, I'm going to get my Masters in Public health at UMich over the next two years so I think if I want to still be a doc after that I'll take it again.

It is a huge drop.... not going to lie it will be a red flag. However there are schools who look only at the best score.

Mine was lower by one point ( the second time around), but none of the schools asked me about it.

I think your drop is way to significant to overcome. You will have to retake and score a 505+ to show that your drop was a fluke

I can't recommend applying now until you can reliably boost your practice MCASTs and do a retake.

You'd be autorejected at my school.

Hi all,

I have a 3.6gpa

I think your drop is way to significant to overcome. You will have to retake and score a 505+ to show that your drop was a fluke

So lets say I retake in 2 years after I obtain my MPH and get a 507, will I have a good shot then??

Members don't see this ad :)
So lets say I retake in 2 years after I obtain my MPH and get a 507, will I have a good shot then??

Yeah that will help. You would have a much better chance. But make sure you are ready for your retake

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah that will help. You would have a much better chance. But make sure you are ready for your retake
I agree, I'll prep differently and my focus in my MPH program centers around a lot of biochemistry so at least I'll have a strong knowledge of that! Thank you for the advice AnatomyGrey12, btw I love the pic.

If you think getting an MPH will help your chances of getting into medical school then you're just wasting your time and money. I would just focus on studying for a retake on the MCAT and MAYBE consider applying for an MPH.

If you think getting an MPH will help your chances of getting into medical school then you're just wasting your time and money. I would just focus on studying for a retake on the MCAT and MAYBE consider applying for an MPH.
Not doing an MPH for my med school application I'm doing it because I can realistically see myself going into that field. Even though being a physician is still my top choice I believe I can succeed in a number of other areas hence the MPH.

Reactions: 2 users
Not doing an MPH for my med school application I'm doing it because I can realistically see myself going into that field. Even though being a physician is still my top choice I believe I can succeed in a number of other areas hence the MPH.

Just making sure. Didn't want you wasting two years of your life. If you can actually see yourself putting to use your degree then more power to you amigo.

Reactions: 2 users
A 3rd retake will be the decisive factor whether your 2nd take was a fluke, or your 1st.

I took the MCAT 2x within 3 months and studied 10-12 hours daily. No day breaks like yourself.

I'm not smart, but if I can do it..... you can too. goodluck

It is a huge drop.... not going to lie it will be a red flag. However there are schools who look only at the best score.

Mine was lower by one point ( the second time around), but none of the schools asked me about it.

Are you saying you got in with 492? or you took it twice and the second was lower than the first?

Are you saying you got in with 492? or you took it twice and the second was lower than the first?

I'm not a stalker, just have an eye for details.

Iyana stats : GPA 3.83/3.78
MCAT: (1st) 24 (8/6/10)--(2nd) 23 (9/5/9)

Mine second attempt was lower than the first, should have clarified it.
As you can see from oOKawaiiOo's post, my stats for MCAT sucked both times lol.

A retake is the obvious answer. Do well on this one an make the 2nd look like a fluke. When you get a decent score (504+), don't EVER take it again.

A retake is the obvious answer. Do well on this one an make the 2nd look like a fluke. When you get a decent score (504+), don't EVER take it again.

It goes back to my original post. It would be scary if the 1st take was the fluke :eek:

Mine second attempt was lower than the first, should have clarified it.
As you can see from oOKawaiiOo's post, my stats for MCAT sucked both times lol.

Iyana, would you please answer in private what school you managed to get into?

thanks

I'm curious as to what school you were speaking/interviewing with as well. Acceptance?

thanks

You can look through her history and see what schools she's been accepted to...

BCOM
PNWU
WVSOM

She must have had a really good compelling rest of her application with that MCAT. Her GPA is excellent.

thanks
Absolutely, I got 7 interviews out of 12 schools I applied to, and was accepted to 4 ( the ones I attended): LECOM, WVSOM, BCOM, PNWU. Cancelled the last 3 interviews after PNWU acceptance.
I posted this info in one of the underdawgs threads, so it's no secret.
Good luck!

You can look through her history and see what schools she's been accepted to...

BCOM
PNWU
WVSOM

She must have had a really good compelling rest of her application with that MCAT. Her GPA is excellent.
I am just that awesome;)
jk.

Were you a traditional applicant or did you have something truly out of the ordinary?

Interesting. Well you made it with a low mcat (no offense) so there's hope for others. Thanks! When did you get accepted? This cycle? Last cycle? 2 years ago?

Nothing out of ordinary, just a typical average med school applicant, a year out of the undergraduate, so I do no think that considered non-traditional. :)

I think I had great LORs, well written essays, and rocked the interviews...so that helped a little.

I truly believe something in your application stood out with an MCAT score of 24, especially with 7 interviews out of 12 schools that you applied to. Did you do a lot of clinical service?

You are truly awesome, and I congratulate you.

Last edited:
I truly believe something in your application stood out with an MCAT score of 24, especially with 7 interviews out of 12 schools that you applied to. Did you do a lot of clinical service?

You are truly awesome, and I congratulate you.

It is a testament to how confusing this process can be that some applicants may not realize how competative they really are or how they don't recognize that they have something truly interesting in their app EC wise.

Exhibit A: there is a guy I do research with who interviewed at Duke with a 3.5 and a 506. When I asked him if he had anything really interesting on his app he said, "nope just a normal applicant, this process isn't as bad as people think." ... Then later I find out he has started and still runs 2 successful non-profit organizations...... He had no clue that was even an important part of his app.

It is a testament to how confusing this process can be that some applicants may not realize how competative they really are or how they don't recognize that they have something truly interesting in their app EC wise.

Exhibit A: there is a guy I do research with who interviewed at Duke with a 3.5 and a 506. When I asked him if he had anything really interesting on his app he said, "nope just a normal applicant, this process isn't as bad as people think." ... Then later I find out he has started and still runs 2 successful non-profit organizations...... He had no clue that was even an important part of his app.

I agree. A lot of people downplay their EC's and application but honestly have amazing stories to tell. Those who have lower stats definitely have a nicer story to tell compared to others with average or above average stats.

The ones I noticed getting interviews are those who started clubs, dedicate a lot of clinical hours, or have significant research experience.

Absolutely, I got 7 interviews out of 12 schools I applied to, and was accepted to 4 ( the ones I attended): LECOM, WVSOM, BCOM, PNWU. Cancelled the last 3 interviews after PNWU acceptance.
I posted this info in one of the underdawgs threads, so it's no secret.
Good luck!

I am sorry I may have missed that in your earlier posts. Either way Thank you for getting back to me on this and congratulations on your matriculation. the reason I wanted to know the schools name is to get a confirmation that there are schools that look at an individual beyond MCAT score only! by the way what were the other schools you got interviews but canceled?

I am sorry I may have missed that in your earlier posts. Either way Thank you for getting back to me on this and congratulations on your matriculation. the reason I wanted to know the schools name is to get a confirmation that there are schools that look at an individual beyond MCAT score only! by the way what were the other schools you got interviews but canceled?
There are definitely schools that look at more than just MCAT scores. I was accepted to MD and DO schools with a 494 MCAT. Don't think that MCAT alone will always stop you, though it does make things much more difficult.

MD and DO?!?! Holyyyyt wtfff. Haha this just confirms my statement on the confusing nature on med school acceptances. Would you mind sharing your gpa/schools you got accepted to/if there was anything significant (out of the ordinary) in your app???

There are definitely schools that look at more than just MCAT scores. I was accepted to MD and DO schools with a 494 MCAT. Don't think that MCAT alone will always stop you, though it does make things much more difficult.

MD and DO?!?! Holyyyyt wtfff. Haha this just confirms my statement on the confusing nature on med school acceptances. Would you mind sharing your gpa/schools you got accepted to/if there was anything significant (out of the ordinary) in your app???
For AMCAS (MD), my sGPA was 3.2 and cGPA 3.15. For AACOMAS (DO), my sciGPA was 3.42 and cGPA was 3.3. I'll PM the schools to you. In terms of special things in my app, there weren't many. Average volunteer and healthcare experience. Only noticeable things may be work experience:nI've served as a special agent with a well known federal law enforcement agency. Didn't meet anyone else with this particular background on the interview trail.

well that special agent thing is definitely not a "traditional/average" thing haha. but that's so awesome! There's hope for us less than avg standardized test takers yet! Please do message me when you get a chance!
For AMCAS (MD), my sGPA was 3.2 and cGPA 3.15. For AACOMAS (DO), my sciGPA was 3.42 and cGPA was 3.3. I'll PM the schools to you. In terms of special things in my app, there weren't many. Average volunteer and healthcare experience. Only noticeable things may be work experience:nI've served as a special agent with a well known federal law enforcement agency. Didn't meet anyone else with this particular background on the interview trail.

And this is why you got in with those stats. I can't even begin to imagine how unique this is.

Special Agent Bank, Undercover Doctor without Boarders :cool:
There's an entire division devoted to legal drug diversion. In an effort to find a way to do both jobs somehow, I argued an MD would be useful in this. But my SAC practically laughed me out of the federal building. My job is not commonly found among med school applicants so I know it contributed to my acceptances. But I think it's reassuring that I wasn't auto-rejected and that someone actually read my applications.

There's an entire division devoted to legal drug diversion. In an effort to find a way to do both jobs somehow, I argued an MD would be useful in this. But my SAC practically laughed me out of the federal building. My job is not commonly found among med school applicants so I know it contributed to my acceptances. But I think it's reassuring that I wasn't auto-rejected and that someone actually read my applications.

Is that also how you answered the "Why doctor?" Question to adcoms at the schools you interviewed at?

Can you share what schools pls? I have a 492 and 4.0 Science GPA my state schools didt even ask for an interview and I have looooooong list of shadowing, clinical experience and work...

Can you share what schools pls? I have a 492 and 4.0 Science GPA my state schools didt even ask for an interview and I have looooooong list of shadowing, clinical experience and work...

You need to retake the MCAT.

Retake MCAT, don't side step this.

for the AACOMAS, would psychology and sociology courses fall under science or non science? also when they calculate the gpa this will include the transfer course work right or will the transfer course work have its own separate gpa for that respective institution?
http://help.unicas.com:8888/aacomas...-process/grade-point-averages-gpas/index.html
Sociology is most likely always non-science. In psychology, I was able to get a class with a heavy biology focus considered other science, which then gets included in sciGPA.

Sure, I can PM the schools to you. The MD school's median MCAT is a 33, way higher than what I or you had. The DO school's median is probably much lower. My advice is to retake the MCAT to give yourself the greatest chance of being able to apply once and be done. I gave myself the same advice, knowing that schools don't usually accept my score.

Okay yeah i know that aacomas will calculate it themselves like verify it and whatnot but i was just curious because inwas calculating my gpa by myself and wanted to know where i stand. So yeah i guess a rough estimate or conservative appraoch is good