Worth applying to TCOM? (Texas resident)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Michander125

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, try to make this short as possible. Like the title says I am curious to see if it is even worth it to apply to TCOM.

• cGPA 3.25
  • sGPA3 3.3
  • MCAT 9/8/9
  • Clinic scribe/medical assistant--2720 hours
  • Phlebotomist--2700 hours
  • ER scribe--4800 hours (I know TCOM likes the scribe company I used to work for)
  • Volunteer EMT ~200 hours
  • Church volunteer ~100 hours
  • Letters of recommendation from a DO, 2 MD and 2 professors (they work at UNT, not sure if this makes a difference)
  • Texas resident
Anyway, grade replacement helped me significantly for DO school (lousy freshman and sophmore years) and I know that my grades will not come out the same as I listed here. Probably ~3.0 or worse case lower.

Would anybody go through the process of applying to TCOM in my situation with my retakes into account. It would be awesome to go here as my parents house is 30 minutes away from the school but I dont want to waste resources.

Thanks in advance....

Members don't see this ad.

So those numbers are AACOMAS, correct? As you know, TCOM only goes by what TMDSAS says...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you still deciding whether to apply THIS cycle, it's a little too late

The application is relatively cheap for TMDSAS, and you can apply to all the schools... you never know if you'll get a bite unless you try.

A friend's wife just graduated from TCOM. She applied OOS and commented that she thinks something that helped her was that she WANTED to go to a DO school, whereas a lot of her classmates just ended up at TCOM via the match and ended up going because it was a good school - not because they wanted to do DO.

So, convince them that you are interested in DO, and if you got the $140 to spare then do it.

0% chance if you don't apply.

Although an LOR from a UNTHSC/TCOM (not UNT) prof might carry some weight with Admissions and there are no official cutoffs, the reality is you should avail yourself of grade replacement in AACOMAS and apply very broadly. Best of luck.

Although an LOR from a UNTHSC/TCOM (not UNT) prof might carry some weight with Admissions and there are no official cutoffs, the reality is you should avail yourself of grade replacement in AACOMAS and apply very broadly. Best of luck.

This is kind of what I expected. I already applied to AACOMAS very broadly.

The application is relatively cheap for TMDSAS, and you can apply to all the schools... you never know if you'll get a bite unless you try.

So, convince them that you are interested in DO, and if you got the $140 to spare then do it.

0% chance if you don't apply.

Thanks for your response, if I have the money after all my other secondaries I guess I may look into applying this month or early August.

Thanks everybody else as well.

Avg stats for a TCOM offer this year were 3.77/30.2. Not saying you shouldn't apply, but if you're going to fill out TMDSAS, you minus well apply to the MD schools as well.

Last edited:
There are students who were accepted to TCOM this past year with 26 and below. So I would definitely try. With a killer essay and strong LORs, I think its a possibility.

At the same time, consider applying to the Med Sci Master's program at UNTHSC. If you can come out of that program with a solid GPA, your undergrad GPA being low won't be a factor (at least to TCOM, because they know the program well, being that they all share the same roof). Its a longer route, but if being near your family is that high of a priority for you, its worth a try.

Otherwise, you should be okay with your current stats for other DO schools. TCOM is one of more competitive ones (so I hear).