Worth applying without a post Bach or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonymous0000

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior, I have an overall GPA of a 3.2 and a science of a 3.0. My trend in grades is mostly upward. Will be taking a gap year for sure and will probably take a few classes that will boost the GPA.
I have a ton of research (some lab, some in dental field, etc), shadowing, volunteering, etc.
I'm taking the DAT this spring, currently scoring at around a 21 but am hoping I can get it higher.

I know a postbach is a good option, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to apply before this or not (like whether or not I have a chance for the 2018 cycle). Whether it depends on my DATs, or if even the highest DAT Score wouldn't help.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that realistically, your GPA can potentially cause your application to be thrown out without further review if you were to apply now. And applying doesn't seem like a very cheap process, so you might as well try to raise that GPA before applying. If you don't have an absurd number of credits right now, getting A's in upper level science classes can help your GPA.

I suggest doing an SMP as opposed to a post-bacc. Especially if you've already done all your pre-reqs. Post-baccs are for people who dont have the credits yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think your current GPA will be a reason to get your app thrown out. Schools look at a lot more than just your GPA, and with a DAT of 21 I think you should get some interviews. That being said, if you are looking at some high end dental schools then maybe the GPA will be a factor but I know plenty of people that have been accepted to dental school with GPA's near what you have posted and lower too. If you arent picky about the school you want to attend then you can definitely get interviews and acceptances with those stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest doing an SMP as opposed to a post-bacc. Especially if you've already done all your pre-reqs. Post-baccs are for people who dont have the credits yet.

SMP is a gamble, it's like putting all of your eggs into one basket. By doing an SMP, you're counting on the fact that you will get into dental school upon completion, which is not a guarantee. Sure, if you get accepted after doing an SMP, great. But what if dental school still doesn't work out, what can that master's degree be used for? That degree literally serves no purpose other than allowing one to try to demonstrate that they can succeed in a health professions curriculum, and if you do not get into a health professions school afterwards, you just lost all that money (SMP's tend to cost roughly the same as tuition for a health professions school).

Still think he should take the DAT first and see where he is at. Also his ethnicity is a big factor, if he is lets say, Asian it will be very hard to get into D school with a sub 3.2 gpa. Depending on how many credits he already has bumping his 3.0 to a 3.2 might not be all that possible.

Well SMPs are impressive and have been confirmed by an admissions offer to be the more ideal choice. Look up pittsburgh admissions advice on youtube.

Still think he should take the DAT first and see where he is at. Also his ethnicity is a big factor, if he is lets say, Asian it will be very hard to get into D school with a sub 3.2 gpa. Depending on how many credits he already has bumping his 3.0 to a 3.2 might not be all that possible.

Well SMPs are impressive and have been confirmed by an admissions offer to be the more ideal choice. Look up pittsburgh admissions advice on youtube.

Can't find an admissions advice video released by Pitt Dental itself. But on their admissions FAQ, they did say getting a master's can improve your application. However, it did not say it specifically needs to be an SMP. I feel that a traditional master's can be very effective too, and at least you can make use of it if dental school doesn't happen.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think your current GPA will be a reason to get your app thrown out. Schools look at a lot more than just your GPA, and with a DAT of 21 I think you should get some interviews. That being said, if you are looking at some high end dental schools then maybe the GPA will be a factor but I know plenty of people that have been accepted to dental school with GPA's near what you have posted and lower too. If you arent picky about the school you want to attend then you can definitely get interviews and acceptances with those stats.

Hi! I had a question too. It is my second time retaking it and I got AA 18, TS 18, PAT 23, 19 BIO, 18 GC, 15 OC, 20 QR, 19 RC, 3.15 oGPA, 2.9 sGPA with 100+ shadowing/volunteer hours. I ran out of time on OC and was a bit thrown off with a few of the questions I wasn't expecting. I'm conflicted whether I should hold off and do post-bacc and apply next year, but would really like to apply this cycle. Any feedback is helpful, thank you!