Worth it to apply after SR year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stronghopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA, if I'm able to pull off 4.0's for the next 3 semesters (end of JR yr), will be around a 3.6-3.7sh. Should I be planning to apply after SR yr as it is? Or is a 3.6-3.7, given a trend of improvement, competitive?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA, if I'm able to pull off 4.0's for the next 3 semesters (end of JR yr), will be around a 3.6-3.7sh. Should I be planning to apply after SR yr as it is? Or is a 3.6-3.7, given a trend of improvement, competitive?
yes

Lol @ a yes answer, when you asked two very different questions.
I'm sorry. For some reason I read it as only one question.

OP - Yes, 3.6ish is competitive enough, but if you're trying to go for more competitive programs, it would be best to wait.

Lol @ a yes answer, when you asked two very different questions. A 3.6-3.7 is competitive if you want to apply after your junior year. While you can plan for that, I think you should also have an alternative plan just in case you can't pull off all those 4.0's you're expecting. Also remember that you need to take the MCAT, ask for letters, build your EC's, etc., so it's really up to you to decide when you're ready to apply to medical school. But as far as competitiveness, yes, a 3.7 will do just fine.

my backup plan is to pursue something from my forthcoming chem major

hopefully plan A works out :)