Worth ranking Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kill00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
About to submit my rank list tonight. Have Baylor and UT San Antonio and Mayo Fl dead last, with baylor being last. Cant decide if I should even rank these 3 programs or soap into something that'll give me better job prospects. Would I really be hurting myself by going to these places?

Also, I really really wanted to like baylor bc of the location but really didnt like baylor on my interview day. Everyone other than the PD seemed pretty stuck up, I even got pimped on some random stuff (first time all season), and I got the vibe they think theres no problems and theyre a strong program. Really disappointing, but idk what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

In all honesty, and not trying to spark a whole debate about program quality that has been hashed multiple times, if you don't rank Baylor and happen to not match, there will likely be a better spot open in the SOAP and you will be a hot commodity during that... for a PD to have somebody who actually applied to Rad Onc.

I don't really know if I can say the same about Mayo FL or UTSA.

That being said, you are unlikely to go unmatched!

Reactions: 4 users
1+ to what @evilbooyaa said above...

Baylor grads are so so, at least the people that I know.
Google "Baylor hospital owned by C.H.I.", you will see the fiasco at St. Luke's.
Similar issue at U of Louisville (the fiasco from "KentucyOne with C.H.I.").

Mayo FL is actually a decent place.

Why can't you rank some higher programs?
Or wait to SOAP to Harvard...lol...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
None of those are amazing programs to match at imo, I'd probably try to 🧼 it, understanding you may in for a tough job search regardless of where you train in 2026+

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks guys. Removed baylor from my list. Hopefully i dont drop that low

As long as you have a pulse and speak/write English properly, you will be able to SOAP, if necessary...

Thanks guys. Removed baylor from my list. Hopefully i dont drop that low
These folks are not just saying it to make you feel better. As long as you passed your boards, don’t have a criminal record, and are not off putting in person you will match. There just are not that many great applicants this year. The top 5 programs will eat up 70+% of the great applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
Matching at Baylor is probably a signal that you won’t end up with a job. Would not go into this field without a back up plan.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
These folks are not just saying it to make you feel better. As long as you passed your boards, don’t have a criminal record, and are not off putting in person you will match. There just are not that many great applicants this year. The top 5 programs will eat up 70+% of the great applicants.
Places like pitt and Jeff have not matched for several years. Both are toxic (just like Baylor) but they have historically been really solid departments. Their reputation won’t count against you during a job search. If location is an issue, you are in the absolute worst field in medcine, and likely not very competent.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Tonight is a very important night for applicant readers. Think very carefully about what you value and what would be a good fit for you. If your gut tells you it is not a good fit, listen to it. Refer to the hellpit thread for a list of programs to avoid. Two of those you ask about are on there. I really want applicants to follow ASTRO and choose wisely!!!

Now go forth into the night and sleep well. hellpits will hellpit. You in the other hand are a winner. sleep well.

• Haha
Places like pitt and Jeff have not matched for several years. Both are toxic (just like Baylor) but they have historically been really solid departments. Their reputation won’t count against you during a job search. If location is an issue, you are in the absolute worst field in medcine, and likely not very competent.

Pitt and Jefferson grads will have an easier time getting a job than a Baylor or UTSA Grad for sure though, just based on strength of alumni networks.

Reactions: 1 users
Strength of alumni network is going to be super important when it comes to getting a job.

Matching at Baylor is probably a signal that you won’t end up with a job. Would not go into this field without a back up plan.

They seem to do just fine if you want to be in Texas. Though anyone applying this year is at risk of unemployment...

They seem to do just fine if you want to be in Texas. Though anyone applying this year is at risk of unemployment...
The Baylor residency is a mess, but they do have a reputation locally for good clinical training. They also allow their residents to locum, which really helps make connections at practices they cover. I think the ability to locum is their secret weapon for securing decent jobs.

The Baylor residency is a mess, but they do have a reputation locally for good clinical training. They also allow their residents to locum, which really helps make connections at practices they cover. I think the ability to locum is their secret weapon for securing decent jobs.
In 5 years, there will be seismic change even worse if apm implemented. Residents from mskcc will have a hard time job hunting let alone low tier programs.

The breadlines are coming for everyone. It is the great equalizer. In great depression, all backgrounds lined up for free soup, wallstreet and downtown bums.

Our elitist field has a reckoning coming. All will learn to like stale bread.

The breadlines are coming for everyone. It is the great equalizer. In great depression, all backgrounds lined up for free soup, wallstreet and downtown bums.

Our elitist field has a reckoning coming. All will learn to like stale bread.
Goes good with govt cheese!

1614961298295.jpeg

• Haha
Plus helps pay for some bills I'm sure. That's a solid plus