This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I take an extra class to raise my BCPM GPA from 3.69 to 3.7?

• Yes

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

sushi18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took stats a while back and realized since it's online it won't count toward medical school. I've fulfilled the math requirement already but without statistics my projected BCPM GPA will be ~3.69. I wasn't a BCPM major in college so every unit makes a big difference.

I understand it's a very minute difference (0.01) but do med schools have BCPM cut offs that could hurt me? Otherwise, do you think it's worth it for the psychological difference between a 3.69 and 3.7?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Unless you plan on taking more BCPM undergrad courses in the future and if it fits your schedule, you shouldn't really worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I took stats a while back and realized since it's online it won't count toward medical school. I've fulfilled the math requirement already but without statistics my projected BCPM GPA will be ~3.69. I wasn't a BCPM major in college so every unit makes a big difference.

1) I understand it's a very minute difference (0.01) but do med schools have BCPM cut offs that could hurt me?
2) Otherwise, do you think it's worth it for the psychological difference between a 3.69 and 3.7?
1) No.

2) You decide if it's worth it for your own psychological sense of adequate achievement, but adcomms won't distinguish between those two numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
imo for your sanity, yes

I understand it's a very minute difference (0.01) but do med schools have BCPM cut offs that could hurt me? Otherwise, do you think it's worth it for the psychological difference between a 3.69 and 3.7?

You’re conflating 2 different issues.

1. Will the online stats class be included in the BCPM GPA computed by AMCAS? I’m pretty sure the answer is YES. Where in AMCAS’ rules for computing GPA does it say online classes are excluded?

2. Do the medical schools you’re applying to require statistics but do NOT accept online classes for statistics? This is where you might run into problems with the online stats class.

In any event, do your homework regarding these two issues BEFORE you retake anything.

From page 9 of the AMCAS Guide to applicants:
"Grades Included in AMCAS GPAs: **Any** course with credit hours and a letter grade is calculated into the AMCAS GPAs, regardless of whether the credit is counted toward a degree or has been counted toward a school-calculated GPA."

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...2c9/aamc-2019-amcas-applicant-guide062918.pdf

I added the asterisks.

Online courses are not excluded from AMCAS GPA calculations.

If you don't need the online stats course to fulfill math requirements at all the medical schools you're applying to, then you shouldn't retake.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! My bad, I'd read that a lot of schools don't accept any online classes and so thought that meant it wouldn't be included in my BCPM GPA. That's good to hear. Does anyone know any med schools off the top of their heads that won't accept 1 year of calculus in lieu of 1 semester calc/1 semester intro stats? I've also taken an upper-div biostats course.

Thanks everyone! My bad, I'd read that a lot of schools don't accept any online classes and so thought that meant it wouldn't be included in my BCPM GPA. That's good to hear. Does anyone know any med schools off the top of their heads that won't accept 1 year of calculus in lieu of 1 semester calc/1 semester intro stats? I've also taken an upper-div biostats course.

There are medical schools that require one semester of stats but your upper division biostatistics class should cover that.

Have you purchased a subscription to MSAR? It should give you all the course requirements for medical schools.
https://apps.aamc.org/msar-ui/#/landing

There are medical schools that require one semester of stats but your upper division biostatistics class should cover that.

Have you purchased a subscription to MSAR? It should give you all the course requirements for medical schools.
https://apps.aamc.org/msar-ui/#/landing
I haven't since I won't be applying for a while and figured it'd be best to drop the cash on it at a time where I'll need the most current info. Thanks again for your help :)

I haven't since I won't be applying for a while and figured it'd be best to drop the cash on it at a time where I'll need the most current info. Thanks again for your help :)

Completely understand. I won't be applying for a while either but I want to make sure I take the classes I need to take before I receive my bachelors. For me, what's more confusing is different schools' different requirements for taking English classes. I want to make sure I don't mess that up. I'll probably purchase a copy before the fall semester begins so I can plan my courses accordingly.