Would a W in a pre-req course raise a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LanceN57

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently not doing so well in General Biology 1 (good instructor, but incredibly hard tests). The highest grade I can salvage at this point is a C- or a C. Should I stay in it or drop it? If I drop it now and take it again next semester, would med schools question me about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Drop it. A W isn't going to harm you. But avoid getting a lot of them..

They will definitely question it. Of course, they will probably question the C as well. Either way I think you'll have to retake it.

An advisor once told me that a W is better than an F, but a C is better than a W. I can't guarantee it, but it seems reasonable. W could easily mean you would have failed otherwise.

They will definitely question it. Of course, they will probably question the C as well. Either way I think you'll have to retake it.

An advisor once told me that a W is better than an F, but a C is better than a W. I can't guarantee it, but it seems reasonable. W could easily mean you would have failed otherwise.

Unless you have bad grades and lots of W's on your transcript a W is much much better than a C. A W could mean a number of things while a C is a C and will drag down your GPA