Would attending dental school in NY state affect my military service if I receive an HPSP scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biggytooth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In order to practice dentistry in NY (that is, in order to obtain a license to practice dentistry) newly graduated dentists must have completed a one year residency. If I attend a dental school in NY, but don't intend to live or practice there, and would be joining the Navy as a dentist (through the HPSP), would I still need to do a residency before working in the Navy?

To those who know or have been in this situation, would doing a general practice residency (1 year) after dental school increase my service from 4 years to 5 years with the Navy?

I'd appreciate any info!
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you need a NY license if you're in the Navy? If your intent is to join the military with the ultimate intent of returning back to NY, then yes, unless you attempt to gain licensure through credentialing, which is doable.

Just because you went to school in a specific state, doesn’t mean the state rules and regulation apply to your dental license. When you pass all the exams and graduate you are given an unrestricted dental license. Depending on your preference, you can now apply for as many state licenses as you wish. NAVY or any other branch only requires one state license from any state in the country. That means you can choose any state and apply to it. Regardless of where you will be stationed.
If you want to do a 1 year AEGD, it will only be done within a residency offered by NAVY. They will not allow you to do a civilian residency after graduation. You do not accrue extra payback but you do not pay anything back either. It’s a neutral year. So if you have a 4 year HPSP, you will do a 1 year AEGD and then start your payback.