Would I need to have summer internship with my current qualifications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CBN713

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore. I am doing a certificate research program. I am planning on taking reseach courses with a faculty starting my junior year. My question is, would I need to have a summer internship if I will have research experience during school semesters?
I am looking to take physics 2 during the summer to finish my prerequisite for MCAT. Because I am not so great at physics (quite bad actually) I was planning on taking it at a community college during the summer to keep my GPA. As you can see, there is some conflict in the schedule. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a sophomore. I am doing a certificate research program. I am planning on taking reseach courses with a faculty starting my junior year. My question is, would I need to have a summer internship if I will have research experience during school semesters?
I am looking to take physics 2 during the summer to finish my prerequisite for MCAT. Because I am not so great at physics (quite bad actually) I was planning on taking it at a community college during the summer to keep my GPA. As you can see, there is some conflict in the schedule. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.
For general application purposes, one summer, or one regular term, or 1-2 regular semesters of research involvement is adequate, provided you gain an understanding of the scientific method. About a year of research is the average listed. If you are aiming for a top research-oriented school, OTOH, more is advisable.

Reactions: 1 users
For general application purposes, one summer, or one regular term, or 1-2 regular semesters of research involvement is adequate, provided you gain an understanding of the scientific method. About a year of research is the average listed. If you are aiming for a top research-oriented school, OTOH, more is advisable.
Thank you very much for your advice. I do plan on having 2 semesters of research, if possible. It’s just hard to do an internship during the summer when I have courses I have to take before the MCAT. My other option is to just take a gap year and apply later, but some people have suggested that I try applying anyway and take a gap year if I don’t get in.

Thank you very much for your advice. I do plan on having 2 semesters of research, if possible. It’s just hard to do an internship during the summer when I have courses I have to take before the MCAT. My other option is to just take a gap year and apply later, but some people have suggested that I try applying anyway and take a gap year if I don’t get in.
Don't "apply anyway". Apply when your application is optimal, with every EC hole filled, good GPAs, and a solid MCAT to which you dedicated 2-3+ months of study and didn't take until repeatedly scoring in your target zone on timed practice tests.

Reactions: 1 user