Would my Research PI count as a science professor LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitaminute

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I've been working under a contract which is basically labelled as "Neurobiology 199", which technically requires a written assignment or project for each quarter. I've gotten a grade worth 4 units for each quarter I've been working, and it contributes to my GPA. Even though it's technically not a class, does my P.I. count as a science professor (since it requires an assignment and gives course credit)? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your PI is a faculty member is a science department, I would say yes. I was in an extremely similar situation with receiving credit for research and I was able to count my PI as a science LOR for 20+ schools. I would just recommend explaining in the secondary (if there is a space for additional info) that you are using it as a science letter to avoid confusion. Also, call schools ahead of time to make sure it could count so you don't waste $50+ on a secondary where you don't even meet their LOR requirements.

This will vary from school to school and their policies. Some will either openly state they are fine with it or if they don't openly state this if you call them you'll find they are pretty lenient on this type of stuff. Others, not so much. My guess, which is really only based off looking at schools sites in passing for their LOR policies, is that there are more schools where you can get by doing this than schools where you can't.

The only school I can think of off the top of my head that straight up said they wouldn't take a PI LOR for a science letter was Temple.

My PI LOR was more of a stretch (university research job after graduation) but many schools accepted it in lieu of a science professor and many didn't and it often wasn't easy to tell who would from reading their websites. I reccomend contacting any school where it is ambiguous if your letter meets the requirement.

To clarify, I've been working under a contract which is basically labelled as "Neurobiology 199", which technically requires a written assignment or project for each quarter. I've gotten a grade worth 4 units for each quarter I've been working, and it contributes to my GPA. Even though it's technically not a class, does my P.I. count as a science professor (since it requires an assignment and gives course credit)? Thanks for any advice!

In that this person reviews your research and assigns a grade that contributes to your GPA, I would recommend that you gently ask that the PI add his/her academic title (Adjunct Assistant Professor -- or whatever) to the LOR signature line. That the PI knows you given your work in Neurbiology 199 would also make it obvious that this is a member of the science faculty who is teaching you.

Other PI situations may vary but this seems clear cut.

So from this discussion, if one were not receiving credit for doing research under a science faculty PI, that would not count towards a science LOR?

Mine did, and I was in pretty much this exact same situation.

In that this person reviews your research and assigns a grade that contributes to your GPA, I would recommend that you gently ask that the PI add his/her academic title (Adjunct Assistant Professor -- or whatever) to the LOR signature line. That the PI knows you given your work in Neurbiology 199 would also make it obvious that this is a member of the science faculty who is teaching you.

Other PI situations may vary but this seems clear cut.

Thank you so much for the thorough advice, LizzyM! And thank you to everybody else who provided input, it was all really helpful! I'm glad I got this issue more or less sorted out :)

Reactions: 1 user