Would this count as a Science LOR? (Stem Professor but non-BCPM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredcurved

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys -- so I'm an operations and supply chain major, which is considered STEM. I have a professor who I have a very close relationship with. I worked on a project w/ him for 6 months, so I believe he'd write a great LOR. However I'm not sure if he would count as a science LOR, even though he is a STEM professor. (our class was engineering // statistics based if that helps)

Also as a second question would political science professor count as science or non science LOR?

Can anyone shed some insight thanks?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does your undergraduate school have a Premedical Committee? If yes, you'll get a committee letter from them.

1. Many medical schools may be okay with a science LOR written by an engineering professor BUT some schools are much more strict and inflexible, and may require only "BCPM" science LORs.

2. As a medical student, you're going to be studying, applying, integrating, and presumably memorizing different types of science information in your pre-clinical years (and not studying engineering or statistics). So, medical schools want to make sure you can successfully manage the academic rigors associated with your medical school studies. As a general rule, that's BCPM material. Enough said.

3. To be on the safe side, you can email the medical schools to which you plan to apply and specifically ask them if they will accept a "science LOR" from this particular STEM professor. Yes or no? Double-check ahead of time.

4. In so doing, you will have a "paper trail" that you can keep in your email file - just in case anyone objects to that science LOR, on some inflexible LOR classification. This level of inflexibility can occur with some schools - so do whatever you need to do ahead of time to prevent that type of pesky science LOR problem from affecting your medical school application.

TL/DR: suggest you double-check with each medical school ahead of time to make sure they will accept a "science LOR" from your STEM professor (engineering/statistics) - just to be on the safe side. Double-check ahead of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Does your undergraduate school have a Premedical Committee? If yes, you'll get a committee letter from them.

1. Many medical schools may be okay with a science LOR written by an engineering professor BUT some schools are much more strict and inflexible, and may require only "BCPM" science LORs.

2. As a medical student, you're going to be studying, applying, integrating, and presumably memorizing different types of science information in your pre-clinical years (and not studying engineering or statistics). So, medical schools want to make sure you can successfully manage the academic rigors associated with your medical school studies. As a general rule, that's BCPM material. Enough said.

3. To be on the safe side, you can email the medical schools to which you plan to apply and specifically ask them if they will accept a "science LOR" from this particular STEM professor. Yes or no? Double-check ahead of time.

4. In so doing, you will have a "paper trail" that you can keep in your email file - just in case anyone objects to that science LOR, on some inflexible LOR classification. This level of inflexibility can occur with some schools - so do whatever you need to do ahead of time to prevent that type of pesky science LOR problem from affecting your medical school application.

TL/DR: suggest you double-check with each medical school ahead of time to make sure they will accept a "science LOR" from your STEM professor (engineering/statistics) - just to be on the safe side. Double-check ahead of time.
Thank you sir for the great response I really appreciate it! Thankfully all four of my state schools have less stringent requirements, but its still best to be planned for all circumstances!

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school does committee letters just ask them. No matter what requirements a med school has they’ll accept your committee letters so if your pre health office offers them all that matters is you meet their requirements

If your school does committee letters just ask them. No matter what requirements a med school has they’ll accept your committee letters so if your pre health office offers them all that matters is you meet their requirements
Unfortunately I don’t think my school does. Thanks for your help though!

Just to add to @Doctor-S it is likely that some schools will not take this STEM prof as science and therefore you will have to get another science letter. Also political science is not a natural science
Thanks! Noted