Would you accept a 'flat-earth'-er?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pioneer22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fun hypothetical after Shaq and Kyrie Irving support the theory the earth is flat.

You are interviewing a top student and somehow the topic arises, and student says they truly believe the earth is flat.
They have great stats, mcat score, ECs and volunteering—all boxes checked, but believe in a flat earth....are they auto-rejected?

Members don't see this ad.

Fun hypothetical after Shaq and Kyrie Irving support the theory the earth is flat.

You are interviewing a top student and somehow the topic arises, and student says they truly believe the earth is flat.
They have great stats, mcat score, ECs and volunteering—all boxes checked, but believe in a flat earth....are they auto-rejected?
cold, hard auto-reject. baiiiii

Reactions: 14 users

If somebody with a 528 tells me the earth is flat then the earth is flat.

Reactions: 55 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think 80% of flat-Earthers are hard-core trolling.

Either way, I'd reject. It doesn't look bad to be an idiot or a real life troll.

Reactions: 7 users
Auto Accept. Need a diversity in opinion. People also made fun of semmelweis when he told people to wash their hands in between patients.

Reactions: 18 users
accept them only if they can beat neil degrasse tyson in a rap battle

Reactions: 10 users
I'd hella reject them.

What would you guys do if it was an anti-vaxxer?

Reactions: 3 users
You can do great on the MCAT and still hold some pretty weird beliefs that would make you give bad advice to your patients

If somebody with a 528 tells me the earth is flat then the earth is flat.

Hey, Ben Carson says the great pyramids are filled with grain, and Satan encouraged Darwin to invent evolution, so who am I to disagree? He's a famous neurosurgeon.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey, Ben Carson says the great pyramids are filled with grain, and Satan encouraged Darwin to invent evolution, so who am I to disagree? He's a famous neurosurgeon.
Yes , yes , but what was his MCAT?

Reactions: 9 users
The earth IS flat though. But when you go off one edge you appear on the other side like in Pac-man, this is what you simple minded people don't understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
The earth IS flat though. But when you go off one edge you appear on the other side like in Pac-man, this is what you simple minded people don't understand.

Thank you Jaden Smith

Reactions: 7 users
I've met people in medical school with waaaay dumber beliefs than this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
I've met people in medical school with waaaay dumber beliefs than this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I feel you. Scientologists....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
@Astra Earth is 6000 years old, fossils/evolution are a prank from Satan or whomever, flu vaccines are a scam (even though it's literally developed in one of our labs every year), you name it. Not to mention the chronic lyme disease cohort.

@Astra Earth is 6000 years old, fossils/evolution are a prank from Satan or whomever, flu vaccines are a scam (even though it's literally developed in one of our labs every year), you name it. Not to mention the chronic lyme disease cohort.

as someone who's lived in the South, this is scarily accurate of many people.

If the earth isnt flat then explain how come every map ever is flat huh
The real question:
upload_2017-3-20_12-50-43.png

Autoreject. It shows me an inability to accept evidence over personal belief which is critical for a physician/scientist

Reactions: 1 user

Having a flat-earther in medical school would increase DIVERSITY

BOOM.

Just for the lolz, I went on a Flat Earth message board and I saw this golden comment:

If the earth is spinning east at 1,180 km/h (733 mph) like RET claims, then how come if I don't reach my destination faster when I hop on a plane and fly west? The earth is supposedly spinning towards me, right?

Just for the lolz, I went on a Flat Earth message board and I saw this golden comment:

If the earth is spinning east at 1,180 km/h (733 mph) like RET claims, then how come if I don't reach my destination faster when I hop on a plane and fly west? The earth is supposedly spinning towards me, right?
Alright, I feel super dumb because I thought this too as a kid. Physics saves lives, people.

Idk man, every time I jump up off the ground I slam into the nearest wall/tree because the earth spins under my feet...

Reactions: 8 users
Alright, I feel super dumb because I thought this too as a kid. Psychics saves lives, people.

FTFY.

Charles Xavier once stopped a moving bus before it hit me.

Idk man, every time I jump up off the ground I slam into the nearest wall/tree because the earth spins under my feet...

Careful, don't jump too high or you'll end up in a Russian gulag

Oh my goodness, I ended up looking this up online and there are WAY more people who exist that think the earth is actually flat than I ever knew. Like. More people than I'm comfortable with knowing about.

:wtf::smack::wow:

This would make a great interview question.

In all seriousness, I would reject such a person because the belief isn't merely irrational, it's anti-rational.

If you think that a flat-earth believer, I remember a candidate who believed that there was a all-powerful being with supernatural powers that would hear him if he spoke to them and followed a bizarre set of rituals throughout the year. I mean, that's crazy. Or its religion.

*tips fedora*

No, because such magical thinkers tend to end up quacks like Mercola.

Personal fave of mine
I'm from a hotbed of Lyme disease and go to College in a region where Lyme is even more of a problem. "Chronic Lyme" is a popular one here and local news stations portray it as if the evil doctors are just denying these people's pain!!

I'm from a hotbed of Lyme disease and go to College in a region where Lyme is even more of a problem. "Chronic Lyme" is a popular one here and local news stations portray it as if the evil doctors are just denying these people's pain!!

Good thing you're part cactus. You'll be fine

Just. I mean. What do you mean flat. Just. Just LOOK at pictures of the earth from SPACE.

Like. WHAT??

If you think that a flat-earth believer, I remember a candidate who believed that there was a all-powerful being with supernatural powers that would hear him if he spoke to them and followed a bizarre set of rituals throughout the year. I mean, that's crazy. Or its religion.

Flat earth isn't a religion. It's lunacy. You can't disprove God, but we've known the Earth isn't flat for millennia.

Reactions: 6 users
Just. I mean. What do you mean flat. Just. Just LOOK at pictures of the earth from SPACE.

Like. WHAT??

They think all the pictures are fake and part of a global conspiracy.