Would you respond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there are a few key programs I'm interested in applying to next year, but I was hoping to find out a little bit about them ahead of time. I'm a fan of doing my research ahead of time, and I don't really want to rely on the Meat Market as a big part of that research.

If you were a program director, would you respond to an email from a third year (of four) student? If that student asked to have their email forwarded to the current residents, would that be out of place?

Should I scrap this plan altogether?

Members don't see this ad.

I just sent a slew of emails to the contacts persons on ashp's directory inquiring about information neither available on the program's website nor ashp's site. Most of the questions I asked were the same between programs with some programs getting as little as two questions and some as much as ten. I did NOT want to send out an email just for the sake of getting my name out there and also not to ask questions about information already available somewhere - which I would consider rude and lazy. I made a large spreadsheet of programs and associated variables. As you add things, you'll notice what programs (at least on paper) stand above others. It will also make it easier to find questions to ask. If you want to see a copy of my xls for ideas, shoot me a pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a resident, I'd probably respond, but not very into detail.
It's better to ask info from residents later in the year though. For my program, we are still on our first rotation, so we're only starting to get a feel for what the residency is like.
For a residency director, they may or may not answer your e-mail. If they do, however, expect a turnaround time of at least a week or two. I know our residency director gets tone of e-mails, and it sometimes takes her a week or more to even get back to the current residents with answers to our questions.

As a resident, I'd probably respond, but not very into detail.
It's better to ask info from residents later in the year though. For my program, we are still on our first rotation, so we're only starting to get a feel for what the residency is like.
For a residency director, they may or may not answer your e-mail. If they do, however, expect a turnaround time of at least a week or two. I know our residency director gets tone of e-mails, and it sometimes takes her a week or more to even get back to the current residents with answers to our questions.

ASHP's website only contains usually the residency director, DOP, and program contact person's email. Additionally, it is (unfortunately) rare to see programs that update their current resident profiles on their respective websites. So in all likelihood, you wouldn't even be able to email a current resident. Personally, I emailed the program contact. Most responded within 2-3 days. :thumbup:

I just sent a slew of emails to the contacts persons on ashp's directory inquiring about information neither available on the program's website nor ashp's site. Most of the questions I asked were the same between programs with some programs getting as little as two questions and some as much as ten. I did NOT want to send out an email just for the sake of getting my name out there and also not to ask questions about information already available somewhere - which I would consider rude and lazy. I made a large spreadsheet of programs and associated variables. As you add things, you'll notice what programs (at least on paper) stand above others. It will also make it easier to find questions to ask. If you want to see a copy of my xls for ideas, shoot me a pm.
please fwd me this xls if you dont mind :)
sent email in pm

Most program directors should respond to you and be willing to forward an email to their current residents. Don't ask 20 questions that you can find the answer to on the program's website, though. Ask because you have legit questions, not to get your name out there. Chances are the director won't remember your name and the resident will be gone by the time you apply if you are a 3rd year.