balance

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2004
197
0
Status
Here is a hypothetical situation. Would you still go to the dental school, if you win a $1,000,000.00 today? If no, what would you do instead?
 

drpduck

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2001
307
0
Baltimore
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Call me a nerd, but yes I would. It would be nice to have all that $, but you would get very bored just sitting around buying stuff. At least for me, I would need some sort of challenge in my life to keep it interesting=dentistry.

Sitting on my butt buying Ferrari's would be nice....but it would get old pretty quick!
 

Profchaos

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
503
0
Status
balance said:
Here is a hypothetical situation. Would you still go to the dental school, if you win a $1,000,000.00 today? If no, what would you do instead?
Somebody asked the same question couple months ago, this seems another repetition.
1 million I would. Becoming a dentist gives you a stable chance to drive a BMW 7 series, which is better than doing business riskwise, not only that, it also gives you the satisfaction of being a Dr and flexible time you desire. Think about this, how many occupation could give you money, time and respect at the same time, and the money, time and respect I'm talking about is higher than average.
Of course, this is just in theory. If you give me 5 millions, I will pack up my back packs and head over to travel around the world.
5 millions alone buying govenment bond can give you at least 400,000 anual income, with minmum risk, and accumulate every year. Why be a dentist if you have that much money already? But 1 million will do nothing.
 

drat

I catch huge fish.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
balance said:
Here is a hypothetical situation. Would you still go to the dental school, if you win a $1,000,000.00 today? If no, what would you do instead?
I was home sick from work last Wednesday, and it was the most boring day of my life.

I would definitely still do dentistry because (and shoot me for believing this), $1 million isn't that much money. Sure it's a heck of a lot, but it's certainly not something I'll retire on at age 20.
 

Smilei32

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2005
16
0
Status
YES YES YES I WOULD !!! i would do dentistry, becasue the only reason that i have to decline my offer to go to dental school right now is because i dont have enough money .... and if i got that much money - o yeh i sure sure would make my dream of becoming a dentist come true!!!
 

helix

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
69
0
Status
Smilei32 said:
YES YES YES I WOULD !!! i would do dentistry, becasue the only reason that i have to decline my offer to go to dental school right now is because i dont have enough money .... and if i got that much money - o yeh i sure sure would make my dream of becoming a dentist come true!!!

I agree with you smilei32 I would use all that money to pay d-school tuition and become a dentist.
 

DIRTIE

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2004
409
0
Las Vegas
Status
Dental Student
If the earnings were after taxes, you better believe it. I wouldn't go, and the majority of you that say that you would, who are you trying to kid! Come on get real. If you have that much money you can live off of your interest, yes even in a bad market like today. 10%= 100000 a year. Not bad. Go and get a job being a ski instuctor at a ski resort. Sounds like a pretty good life to me!
 

drat

I catch huge fish.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
DIRTIE said:
If the earnings were after taxes, you better believe it. I wouldn't go, and the majority of you that say that you would, who are you trying to kid! Come on get real. If you have that much money you can live off of your interest, yes even in a bad market like today. 10%= 100000 a year. Not bad. Go and get a job being a ski instuctor at a ski resort. Sounds like a pretty good life to me!
Where are you finding 10% interest?
 

ChippedToothOSU

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
29
0
37
OSU Campus
Status
yea i dont think 1 million would be enough to stop me from goin to dental school, i could go through a million real quick, vacations, cars, houses, bling .... after dental school, you could set up a nice little practice and work 3-4 days max and have a really nice life playing golf on your days off :)
 

JakeMUSC

D3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
304
1
37
Charleston, SC
Status
1 Million is not enough. As mentioned in previous replies.... an average Dentist's lifetime earnings GREATLY exceed 1 Million. Let me win the 20 Million dollar powerball and Im out like a thief in the night.
 

tam0026

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2004
99
0
38
jacksonville, Fl
Status
drpduck said:
Call me a nerd, but yes I would. It would be nice to have all that $, but you would get very bored just sitting around buying stuff. At least for me, I would need some sort of challenge in my life to keep it interesting=dentistry.

Sitting on my butt buying Ferrari's would be nice....but it would get old pretty quick!
Absolutely! I would def. finish dental school. I didn't enroll just to be rich, and although having the money would help, I need to feel like my life has a purpose.
 

Dentalist

carpe diem
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2003
349
0
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I would still go to dental school. Dentistry is a good investment, considering both personal and financial rewards.
 

ToothMonkey

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2004
198
0
Status
With $1 million already in the bank I could afford to carry a higher overhead, eliminating as much of my daily stress as possible by employing the best equipment and highly paid auxiliaries.
 

frogger33

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
167
0
Status
Hell yeah I would still go to dental school. I dont care how much money I won. Being a dentist is a DREAM of mine (even though the hard four years of school is not something I dream about), and if I had the opportunity to fulfill it and not be 150,000 in debt, then even better!!

However, if I won that much money I would probably only work 3-4 days a week and volunteer around the community. You better believe I would take some really nice vacations as well (twice a year at least!). There are LOTS of things I would do with that money, but I would still become a dentist. :D
 

Dentist 2 be

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2004
628
0
Brooklyn, NY
Status
Non-Student
drat said:
I was home sick from work last Wednesday, and it was the most boring day of my life.

I would definitely still do dentistry because (and shoot me for believing this), $1 million isn't that much money. Sure it's a heck of a lot, but it's certainly not something I'll retire on at age 20.
You can't even get a nice house for 1 mill these days; especially where I live.
 

dWiz

...ndn...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
413
0
Status
helix said:
I agree with you smilei32 I would use all that money to pay d-school tuition and become a dentist.
that much u can use to pay off school, buy a practice, and one ferrari to get you to work
 

Profchaos

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
503
0
Status
dWiz said:
that much u can use to pay off school, buy a practice, and one ferrari to get you to work
Bump.
Instead of Ferrari, I would buy a BMW 750i and a mid size house.
Let's talk about Ferrai after 5 years of practice.