Wow, that guy went there?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question but since there are no official rankings for for EM programs and at this point in my life it's hard for me to interpret programs' post-graduate placement lists, I was wondering which programs really make someone say "damn, Dr. X trained at XYZ, let's hire him."

In other words, which programs offer the most name recognition to others in the field that it'd be relatively easy to penetrate said job markets?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'd be impressed by someone that trained on Mars...that they discovered and saved lives at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hilarious thread. The only program that impresses anyone is the program they came from (or the program one of their partners came from.)

Does this hold true for the most competitive markets? I know several other fields that will not consider applicants who do not come from very strong academic centers with a long history of putting out very efficient and capable residents. One site in particular only accepts chief residents from well-known programs.

It seems that you would be much more likely to match into Denver or San Francisco if you were to come from Denver, Cook, Carolinas, etc than if you came from Palmetto, UVA, UT Chattanooga, or some other state type school...

Kinda tough question and you might get a variety of answers. My thoughts though, in no particular order:

1) Medical University of Rural North Dakota program
2) Hollywood Upstairs Medical College program
3) Idaho Valley Community College program
4) University of the Rock of Gibraltar program
5) Harvard

Seriously though, any of the big name academic or country programs would probably do it. You're not going to have a problem getting a job, don't stress yourself out. :)

Haha Yep. You forgot Yale EM though...

Email: [email protected]

You will be provided with a prompt and accurate response to this puzzling question.

To be honest though, every one of us has wondered the answer to this question at one time or another in there career.

Email: [email protected]

You will be provided with a prompt and accurate response to this puzzling question.

To be honest though, every one of us has wondered the answer to this question at one time or another in there career.

Back in the day, I actually had to ask at one point for someone to explain the Fatty McFattyPants gag to me.

Ah, memories.

"damn, Dr. X trained at XYZ, let's hire him."

I've never heard that used. I've heard "Dr. X trained at XYZ WITH Bob and Bob vouches for him let's hire him." Heck I've heard "Dr. X trained at XYZ WITH Bob and Bob vouches for him...under no circumstances will we ever hire him."

The only time where someone trained was brought up was when our Harvard trained doc had his fourth patient die. Only once they are hired and either they are exceptional or horrendous does where they were trained come up. Then it is just as quickly discarded because someone else will know someone who trained there as well and they are the exact opposite.

Get in where you fit it and love what you do. Your work ethic, reputation, and networking will open doors or slam them shut.

Just a fourth year, but I have spoken with a couple EM directors in arguably THE most competitive market for Emergency Medicine. All have stated that they may slightly favor local grads, but that far away the most important thing they look for is that you impressed at your residency program. I asked about a certain "big time" program in particular and was told their "product" was no better than anywhere else and that they'd actually been less-than impressed with many grads from similar "big name" programs on many occasions. They stressed to pick a place where you think you'll best fit in because thats where you'll most maximize you.

We've all probably been told similar sentiments hundreds of times, but in the end, you're going to hear what you want to hear. Sounds like you want to impress the checkout lady at the grocery store....hence, go with Harvard.

Just a fourth year, but I have spoken with a couple EM directors in arguably THE most competitive market for Emergency Medicine. All have stated that they may slightly favor local grads, but that far away the most important thing they look for is that you impressed at your residency program. I asked about a certain "big time" program in particular and was told their "product" was no better than anywhere else and that they'd actually been less-than impressed with many grads from similar "big name" programs on many occasions. They stressed to pick a place where you think you'll best fit in because thats where you'll most maximize you.

We've all probably been told similar sentiments hundreds of times, but in the end, you're going to hear what you want to hear. Sounds like you want to impress the checkout lady at the grocery store....hence, go with Harvard.
Further clarification needed: THE most competitive or the MOST competitive.

I've never heard "Dr X is from big name program, we should hire him" I have heard (post-hire), "Dr X comes from Y? I thought they were supposed to have a good program, why is he so ****ing slow?"

So are we still arguing that it's not easier to get a job in Denver, Portland, San Francisco, etc if you come from a well known program vs a small community program? While there are certainly other facts that come into play, I don't think that the guy from UT Chattanooga will hae the same luck as the guy graduating from Cinci or Carolinas (assuming both are "good" residents). Also a lot easier to "know" someone in a particular city if your program has a 30 year history of putting out clinicians (vs a newer program).

So are we still arguing that it's not easier to get a job in Denver, Portland, San Francisco, etc if you come from a well known program vs a small community program? While there are certainly other facts that come into play, I don't think that the guy from UT Chattanooga will hae the same luck as the guy graduating from Cinci or Carolinas (assuming both are "good" residents). Also a lot easier to "know" someone in a particular city if your program has a 30 year history of putting out clinicians (vs a newer program).

As Birdstrike noted it really comes down to who knows who much more than the program's name. If the medical director in Denver, Portland or San Francisco knows a professor at UT or In-N-Out or wherever then the guy from there will get the job. For my group how you interview is waaaaaaay more important than where you trained.

Medical students have a very powerful drive to try seek out things that make the profession and the job market seem less random and haphazard. It's just isn't like that. This whole discussion is analogous to the question that goes "If I get honors on my away rotation and a score of XXX will I be guaranteed a residency at U. WhereIwanttogo?" Answer: No. The match and the job market change every year. The people change. Reputations change. No matter how hard it is to hear this is how it is.

Many of us on this board hire EPs. We know what we're talking about.

The #1 interview question in my neck of the woods is

"why do you want to come to podunk?"

anything else is unimportant.

By the way, some of the best answers:

1) you are 1000 miles from my ex-wife and don't have a major airport

2) Oh, ****, I got the name of the town confused

3) I like hunting/fishing/scuba diving/mountain climbing

4) I like small towns better than the big city

5) My spouse got a job offer at XYZ

6) My child wants to go to State U and I need to set up residency to save on tuition.