Wow Westrern University really is this much?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please, don't anyone get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm just saying as we talk about cost that for some of us we don't have a comfy IS tuition option and since I already spent the money applying, if I get in somewhere, OOS, IS, where ever, I'm going.

It's the same exact thing for people who have reasonable IS tuition, but whose state schools don't accept them. *raises hand* Sure wish I could xerox my class rank and send it to my state school and let them know that they cost me over $150K.... 😉 (kidding...) Same situation. And remember, contract seats are few and far between, and only about half the states have a veterinary school. IS students with reasonable tuition are fast becoming the more rare beast....big problem for the profession.

Personally, I'd love it if we all paid the same! 🙂
 
But what if Western or some other OOS is the only school you get into? Do you decline it and wait another year just so you can get into your instate or move to be instate somewhere. A lot of people don't have the luxury of choosing which school to attend and I'm at the point where I will go wherever they accept me. I know finances are important but I'm not going to let that stop me from achieving my dream.

Why would you apply to a school if you wouldn't go there even if it is your only option? I only applied to schools that I would be happy attending if they were my only option... I think if you would decline a school and wait another year you shouldn't even apply there in the first place.
 
I have a question...okay vet schools except x number of people a year and they have z number of seats. Is x greater than z, considering there are people that decline?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a question...okay vet schools except x number of people a year and they have z number of seats. Is x greater than z, considering there are people that decline?

Yeah, they will always have to accept more people, than the exact number of seats in the class. Although nearly every in-state person who is accepted is going to attend, while they will have to accept far more applicants per seat to fill out of state slots. (Although I bet this varies a fair bit by school).

There is only ever as many outstanding offers for admission as their are available seats. So if there are 100 seats, they will make 100 offers. And as people decline those spots, they will then start making additional offers.
 
but I will tell you that when you're 30 years old and in your third year of vet school and you're taking out $60K a year and seeing your potential retirement dwindle away at the end of your life--it really makes you wonder if you should have made this decision.

I'm 30 now and I'm just entering vet school in the fall. I've tried to not be blind about the financial side of things, but just thinking about it makes my stomach hurt. On the one hand, I feel like it's a career that I'd really enjoy, and I've spent the last 4 years of my life struggling to get to this point. I've spent so much time and money taking pre reqs and applying. Getting into vet school was one of the happiest days of the last 8 years for me. Also, I hate my current job and in terms of a career it sucks (was supposed to be my entry-level job out of college while I figured out what to do with my life, hah). I'm not losing anything all that great by leaving, and I'd have to switch careers anyway to have any kind of successful career.

On the other hand, am I completely insane for going ahead with it?? Some people say "this is my passion and I don't care, I could never do anything else". But that's just BS. Of course they could do something else. I'm 100% sure that even the people most dedicated to vet medicine could be just as happy doing something else. So are we all totally nuts? I know I'll love being a vet...but should I have tried harder to find something that I could have been just as happy with and wouln't have saddled me with $125K+ debt? I don't know...

And now my stomach is all in knots. Bah!
 
I watched this show about Egyptian mummies once and they were talking about how easy it was to tell an elite person from a commoner. They showed two women's skeletons to make their point. The elite person's skeleton was all dainty and nice and the commoner had, had all kinds of fractures and arthritus because they'd been worked so hard (and they were only twenty when they died!) It looked gnarly.

Well, that's like a vet student compared to, say, an artist!
 
Why would you apply to a school if you wouldn't go there even if it is your only option? I only applied to schools that I would be happy attending if they were my only option... I think if you would decline a school and wait another year you shouldn't even apply there in the first place.

I was only saying that to make a point. Of course I only applied to schools that I would want to go to if accepted. But people here were saying that it was insane to go anywhere out of state because of the amount of debt you would accumulate. Most everyone I know have also applied to OOS schools, not just in state. If I were to get into an OOS school and not my IS, I would take that opportunity. There is no guarantee that by waiting another year you will be accepted to your IS anyway and that is just another year wasted. But to each his own.
 
I watched this show about Egyptian mummies once and they were talking about how easy it was to tell an elite person from a commoner. They showed two women's skeletons to make their point. The elite person's skeleton was all dainty and nice and the commoner had, had all kinds of fractures and arthritus because they'd been worked so hard (and they were only twenty when they died!) It looked gnarly.

Well, that's like a vet student compared to, say, an artist!

Huh??? I don't understand....