Writer's Block

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got any good suggestions for a bad case of writers block???

Members don't see this ad.

americanangel said:

for what? for your statement?

go for a run.

read an inspiring book/article. make a list about what/who inspires you.

take a nap. :)

its for a scholarship/research application for current sophmores at my undergrad...my prof nominated me without telling me and now my application is due next week and i'm having a hard time figuring out what to write!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
turn off your phone, unplug the internet, get comfy, and just start writing - even if at first you are just writing gibberish!

americanangel said:
Yes. Don't pre-edit your thoughts and just write whatever you can. Eventually, your mind will get back on track and you'll just flow from there.

a joint should do it

write about something. start in the middle. the title/intro is always the hardest. if you can't think of anything, take an hour off. i would recommend tv or nintendo or working out to relieve some stress and relax then jump back into the writing.

Sometimes, when I get writer's block in the middle of something academic or a personal statement, I'll start writing a short story for a while (whatever's in my head). It's a much needed break, and keeps me in writing mode for an easier transition. Plus, I tend to be more creative when I go back to my original task

get drunk/stoned first, gonzo-style

americanangel said:

what school are you from??

bbaek said:
what school are you from??

eckerd college...its a small liberal arts college in st pete, fl!

what's the research about? what's it desired/expected outcome or expectation? go explain it to the person who academically inspires you in your life (parent, advisor, teacher, best friend, whatever) and then have two beers. and then start writing.

internet said:
get drunk/stoned first, gonzo-style
hahaha... aight... my approach, i took this during the MCAT.

during lunch, i went to a place and just started writing on a paper. I didn't have a specific topic, but I wrote a letter to a friend. she's kinda like that girl that helped me through the whole "this sucks" anyhow, just write a letter to someone and don't have a specific topic, but talk about something that you're writing. and plus, not only does it help you start your thoughts to flow, but your hand actually starts to get used to writing (I'm not sure if ur asking about writers block during the MCAT or not) but if so... then this is kinda what i did beforehand.

this post may not make sense... lol