scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
americanangel said:
Got any good suggestions for a bad case of writers block???
for what? for your statement?

go for a run.

read an inspiring book/article. make a list about what/who inspires you.

take a nap. :)

OP
A

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
At the Beach!!
Visit site
Status
its for a scholarship/research application for current sophmores at my undergrad...my prof nominated me without telling me and now my application is due next week and i'm having a hard time figuring out what to write!!!!

lulubean

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
turn off your phone, unplug the internet, get comfy, and just start writing - even if at first you are just writing gibberish!

Iwy Em Hotep

The Welcomer
10+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Seattle
Status
Attending Physician
americanangel said:
Yes. Don't pre-edit your thoughts and just write whatever you can. Eventually, your mind will get back on track and you'll just flow from there.

brats800

cheesehead
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
MadTown
Status
Attending Physician
write about something. start in the middle. the title/intro is always the hardest. if you can't think of anything, take an hour off. i would recommend tv or nintendo or working out to relieve some stress and relax then jump back into the writing.

antissa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Sometimes, when I get writer's block in the middle of something academic or a personal statement, I'll start writing a short story for a while (whatever's in my head). It's a much needed break, and keeps me in writing mode for an easier transition. Plus, I tend to be more creative when I go back to my original task

bbaek

One day at a time....
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2004
Status
americanangel said:
what school are you from??

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Australia
Status
what's the research about? what's it desired/expected outcome or expectation? go explain it to the person who academically inspires you in your life (parent, advisor, teacher, best friend, whatever) and then have two beers. and then start writing.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
internet said:
get drunk/stoned first, gonzo-style
hahaha... aight... my approach, i took this during the MCAT.

during lunch, i went to a place and just started writing on a paper. I didn't have a specific topic, but I wrote a letter to a friend. she's kinda like that girl that helped me through the whole "this sucks" anyhow, just write a letter to someone and don't have a specific topic, but talk about something that you're writing. and plus, not only does it help you start your thoughts to flow, but your hand actually starts to get used to writing (I'm not sure if ur asking about writers block during the MCAT or not) but if so... then this is kinda what i did beforehand.

this post may not make sense... lol