Writing About Interest of a State w/o Ties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LordH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Would like an adcom's perspective on this. I've run into a few schools that have asked if I have any ties, relationships, or interest in a school's state (optional). If I have no ties at all, do you think it's worth writing my interest in the state or should I leave it blank / write N/A? I've heard of some backlash to highlighting a school's location as an interest.

Just FYI for these schools I always feel that I align well with their mission/vision/opportunities/curriculum, so I've chosen to highlight those aspects in other portions of the secondary. Just wondering if I should save an adcom from pulling their hair out about writing how I'm interested in their state (like so many others do). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

Would like an adcom's perspective on this. I've run into a few schools that have asked if I have any ties, relationships, or interest in a school's state (optional). If I have no ties at all, do you think it's worth writing my interest in the state or should I leave it blank / write N/A? I've heard of some backlash to highlighting a school's location as an interest.

Just FYI for these schools I always feel that I align well with their mission/vision/opportunities/curriculum, so I've chosen to highlight those aspects in other portions of the secondary. Just wondering if I should save an adcom from pulling their hair out about writing how I'm interested in their state (like so many others do). Thanks!
I wrote about football teams, interest in living in a big city after living in a small town for my whole life, food, etc. for different states.

Like the very wise @gyngyn said:
Depends on the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Uhh for example SC and MI?

I'd recommend googling information about each state, finding stuff that interests you, and writing about it. It doesn't have to be profound.

Depends, big difference between Missouri and California.

Michigan: There's something about '20-below-0' that brings me to apply to school in Detroit. The prospect of simultaneously staving off frostbite and gangbangers is thrilling to me as a candidate. The cheap, dilapidated housing, the failed school systems, the drug epidemic in the city, and the intense racial divide all make me want to call Detroit home for the next four years. There's truly no place I'd rather be.

*edit: Sorry if I offended the city of Detroit. Life is not easy there. All the more reason not to have OOS students who don't know what they're getting into.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Michigan: There's something about '20-below-0' that brings me to apply to school in Detroit. The prospect of simultaneously staving off frostbite and gangbangers is thrilling to me as a candidate. The cheap, dilapidated housing, the failed school systems, the drug epidemic in the city, and the intense racial divide all make me want to call Detroit home for the next four years. There's truly no place I'd rather be.
If you really wanna get in you have to also mention the rampant corruption, lead flavored water and consistently mediocre football team.

If you really wanna get in you have to also mention the rampant corruption, lead flavored water and consistently mediocre football team.

Don't forget to mention how it's always been your dream to watch the MI team lose to the Buckeyes in football and that there is no place you'd rather watch it than in MI ;)

That aside, thanks for the quick advice. I went ahead and picked out some unique things about the state and hope it goes well!

Don't forget to mention how it's always been your dream to watch the MI team lose to the Buckeyes in football and that there is no place you'd rather watch it than in MI ;)

That aside, thanks for the quick advice. I went ahead and picked out some unique things about the state and hope it goes well!
It's been my reality for the past 4 years.