Writing NBDE Part 1 in March or April 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Truth seeker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Final days of preparation . Anybody who has scheduled to take the exam in a few weeks from now by end of March or April, please come together and discuss questions and clear as many doubts as possible . This thread is to motivate and share experience and elaborate on those aspects of part 1 that are tricky .

A request to people who are looking for study partners , kindly do not post in this thread, else this thread will again end up there .

Members don't see this ad.

its alright buddy

i checked 363(L) , and in the Q its hyperparathyroidism .
so i was confused between increased intestinal calcium absorption and increased phosphate excretion .

one of the action of PTH on kidneys is to increase resorption of calcium at the distal tubules , thereby increasing the serum calcium . here if renal threshold for Calcium is increased , then it is also excreted along with phosphate .

this what i thought , pls do correct me if am wrong anywhere .

thanks to all

i still couldnt get it can u please elaborate....

its alright buddy

i checked 363(L) , and in the Q its hyperparathyroidism .
so i was confused between increased intestinal calcium absorption and increased phosphate excretion .

one of the action of PTH on kidneys is to increase resorption of calcium at the distal tubules , thereby increasing the serum calcium . here if renal threshold for Calcium is increased , then it is also excreted along with phosphate .

this what i thought , pls do correct me if am wrong anywhere .

thanks to all

sorry for that hyypothy thing...m just freaking out....
i had hyperparathyroidism in the back of my mind...

see hyperparathyroidism thr is inc in serum calcium and decrease in phosphate ..
so dont u think choice D id a better option....that renal excretion of phosphate increases!!

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry for that hyypothy thing...m just freaking out....
i had hyperparathyroidism in the back of my mind...

see hyperparathyroidism thr is inc in serum calcium and decrease in phosphate ..
so dont u think choice D id a better option....that renal excretion of phosphate increases!!

in my previous post , i was talking about the same , i got confused between that , but as we all know ASDA answers are correct, where were we wrong in thinking ?
to try to further explain it , its like glucose , when its beyond renal threshold results as glucosuria in diabetes , similarly excess calcium reabsorbed , with be eliminated via renal excretion

just read up on PTH from whate'er text you followed , am sure u'll understand it .

sorry am bad at explaining , tried my best .

n hey how is ur prep going on how many days left...
mine is just 3 days away!

Hey EXAM is knocking on my door !
I have a countdown of hours now buddy . final countdown has begun !!!

Best of luck to you and to all those who are taking along with me .

Last edited:
guys heres a :rolleyes: one...geez...:rolleyes:

coagulase production by staphylococcus aureus is important in pathogenecity becos it
a)helps to establish the typical abscess lesion
b)helps to establish the typical cellulitis lesion
c)allows organisms to adhere tightly to tissue
d)provides a polysaccharide capsule to inhibit phagocytosis
e)non specifically binds to Fc portion of IgG molecules

all i know is Coagulase reacts with prothrombin....fibrinogen is converted to fibrin...S.aureus is coated with fibrin...making it resistant to phagocytosis ..

i wd answer D...except that the polysaccharide capsule part wd be wrong...so it it C???anyone??

Truthseeker, terminal...good luck to you guys...Keep the faith. I am positive you guys will be ready to do the banana dance in a months time with ur results!!!!

Hey EXAM is knocking on my door !
I have a countdown of hours now buddy . final countdown has begun !!!

Best of luck to you and to all those who are taking along with me .

thanks truthseeker!!
i got it now..but still feel choice D is better option...still ASDA is the final VERDICT!!

n yeah best of luck!!
u gonna do gr8 ..!
just be confident n u'll do well!!
good luck!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Ans: D (may be!)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coagulase causes fibrin clots to form around the organism that help enable it to resist phagocytosis. Our adaptive immune system has difficulty in recognizing the S. aureus as foreign when it is coated with a human protein.

Check here: http://student.ccbcmd.edu/courses/bio141/lecguide/unit2/bacpath/engulf.html
.Thats what the website says but fibrin is glycoprotien, not polysaccharide! So, I dont know...

guys heres a :rolleyes: one...geez...:rolleyes:

coagulase production by staphylococcus aureus is important in pathogenecity becos it
a)helps to establish the typical abscess lesion
b)helps to establish the typical cellulitis lesion
c)allows organisms to adhere tightly to tissue
d)provides a polysaccharide capsule to inhibit phagocytosis
e)non specifically binds to Fc portion of IgG molecules

all i know is Coagulase reacts with prothrombin....fibrinogen is converted to fibrin...S.aureus is coated with fibrin...making it resistant to phagocytosis ..

i wd answer D...except that the polysaccharide capsule part wd be wrong...so it it C???anyone??

thanks truthseeker!!
i got it now..but still feel choice D is better option...still ASDA is the final VERDICT!!

n yeah best of luck!!
u gonna do gr8 ..!

hi terminal nd truthseeker all d very best 4 ur exam!!!!1 i m sure u will do grt in ur exam!! hey can u plz iv a link 2 n series of ada exams as i dnt have dis series after ur exam..thanks

thanks colours99. i guess that question really is kind of wierd.

moving on...

hey, does anyone know if occlusion questions like the kind in old papers are around anymore..its okay, but its taking me a long time to figure out the answers...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Got done with the Exam .
I really dont know how I have done . Feels blank. Just counting days , it feels so restless and impatient especially post Exam !

Honestly ADA tests one in and out ,appreciate the way these guys frame questions , its a mix of everything . The general level of testing is tough but few guesses one can do !

Study well , and eat well , thats important too . This exam is more a test of endurance than anything else . Above all we all do need GOD's blessings , dont think anything works without that .

Study well everybody .

hi terminal nd truthseeker all d very best 4 ur exam!!!!1 i m sure u will do grt in ur exam!! hey can u plz iv a link 2 n series of ada exams as i dnt have dis series after ur exam..thanks

good luck truthseeker and terminal..! all besssssst

Truthseeker, terminal...good luck to you guys...Keep the faith. I am positive you guys will be ready to do the banana dance in a months time with ur results!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS........!!!!!!!!:):xf:

thanks truthseeker!!

n yeah best of luck!!
u gonna do gr8 ..!

Thanks to you all . Just keeping fingers crossed now . you all study well too .

Thanks to you all . Just keeping fingers crossed now . you all study well too .

god bless buddy... dont worry u will do good...

next coming up my turn.....:eek::eek:

ur advise needed... for last month prep...

pl do advise some key things.. for last month...:):)

god bless buddy... dont worry u will do good...

next coming up my turn.....:eek::eek:

ur advise needed... for last month prep...

pl do advise some key things.. for last month...:):)

Hey everybody's experience is unique , personally , i would leave no stone unturned . So many aspects are at stake , so when you are in control of things pls take charge , since am done , i feel helpless sometimes that i cant do anything anymore now .

focus on ur weak areas, which only you will know and work on them .

Thank you very much for ur wishes . Wish u the same for ur exam too.

all best truth seeker!
Hard work always pays off......can u pls tell us what books u used !
thanks

all best truth seeker!
Hard work always pays off......can u pls tell us what books u used !
thanks

hi wadent ,
thankyou very much for the wishes, wish you good luck for ur preparation and exam too . Yes hard work shows , and humane values, does help one go a long way(that was on a sheer philosophical note) but am very anxious about my results.

hey , i dint go out to reach any books which have not been mentioned earlier.
Did few things from Kaplan book , and First Aid , my own text books .
Also decks ! But the essence is it really doesnt matter where you do it from as long as you get it .

Hope this helps.........

Last edited:
Hi truthseeker !
iam sure after getting done with the exam it must be a mixed feeling altogether....glad that its over but anxious too at the same time ! Well....i hope you do very well after working soo hard ...goodluck to u !
I am couple of days away from my exam and i know ive studied to the best i could but still i am not soo confident about my test...somewhere inside it feels that its a bigg challange coming up and iam still not sure if iam well equipped to be on the battle field after reading all the posts here by everyone who took exams recently that its really hard....i know its no easy but what do u suggest should i concentrate at as of now....i have been studying from decks, papers and kaplan review ....where should the least few weeks be stressed upon from exam point of view ? Hope u could give some of ur inputs . Thanks

hi wadent ,
thankyou very much for the wishes, wish you good luck for ur preparation and exam too . Yes hard work shows , and humane values, does help one go a long way(that was on a sheer philosophical note) but am very anxious about my results.

Also decks ! But the essence is it really doesnt matter where you do it from as long as you get it .

Hope this helps.........

hi wadent ,

Hope this helps.........

hi truthseeker

so now ur done with ur exams....all the best for ur results.:thumbup:..and hard work will pay u..:)...can u tell from wher u did ur biochem ?esp..the dna parts....any other book other thn text as i dont hav my text with me...thanks in advance...

The best way to know if you are prepared is to do the old tests and see how well you are scoring. And try to recollect things that are difficult for you.How well are you remembering these things? Go through this forum where people have posted Q's that are challenging. If you can solve these correctly, you will know how ready you are. Only u can assess how ready you are. Go with your gut. Try to postpone if you think you need more time to review. Because this is the last chance. Good luck. And dont panic on the day of the exam.

Hi truthseeker !
iam sure after getting done with the exam it must be a mixed feeling altogether....glad that its over but anxious too at the same time ! Well....i hope you do very well after working soo hard ...goodluck to u !
I am couple of days away from my exam and i know ive studied to the best i could but still i am not soo confident about my test...somewhere inside it feels that its a bigg challange coming up and iam still not sure if iam well equipped to be on the battle field after reading all the posts here by everyone who took exams recently that its really hard....i know its no easy but what do u suggest should i concentrate at as of now....i have been studying from decks, papers and kaplan review ....where should the least few weeks be stressed upon from exam point of view ? Hope u could give some of ur inputs . Thanks

I really appreciate your suggestion colours. Since i have done old tests a couple of times by now and i can pretty much answer majority of the questions ...i wonder how else cud i test myself...do u also recommend crack the nbde questions before i finalise my exam day ?
Thanks

The best way to know if you are prepared is to do the old tests and see how well you are scoring. And try to recollect things that are difficult for you.How well are you remembering these things? Go through this forum where people have posted Q's that are challenging. If you can solve these correctly, you will know how ready you are. Only u can assess how ready you are. Go with your gut. Try to postpone if you think you need more time to review. Because this is the last chance. Good luck. And dont panic on the day of the exam.

please some body help me with this answer...truthseeker ! do u know y the answer is left mesiotrusive...some body help...

:confused:

how come nobody answers me let me know if u don't know y either...atleast I'll know I'm not the only one...I've been asking this question for 2 months now .some body help me........

Ans: D (may be!)
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coagulase causes fibrin clots to form around the organism that help enable it to resist phagocytosis. Our adaptive immune system has difficulty in recognizing the S. aureus as foreign when it is coated with a human protein.

Check here: http://student.ccbcmd.edu/courses/bio141/lecguide/unit2/bacpath/engulf.html
.Thats what the website says but fibrin is glycoprotien, not polysaccharide! So, I dont know...

Would the answer be A since as mentioned fibrin is not a polysaccharide capsule? Also since S. aureus is typically the cause for pus/suppurative abscesses formed since the fibrin clots is anti-phagocytic and our bodies typically create the fibrotic walls around it making an abscess.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

how come nobody answers me let me know if u don't know y either...atleast I'll know I'm not the only one...I've been asking this question for 2 months now .some body help me........

Are you talking about this question?? There were a lot of questions in this thread so w/o quotes its hard to know which one you're talking about...

hi terminal,
this one pls
Clinical examination reveals that lingual cusp of tooth#5 is brokn off.this is most likely due to which mandibular movement??
1.left mesiotrusive
2.right mesiotrusive
3.left laterotrusive
4.right laterotrusive

the answer is A but i fail to understand.
when we talk about left mesiotrusive does it not mean that it is right laterotrusive??

pls explain

If so, my understanding is that they're referring to the non-working side mandible movement or mediotrusive movement. Or more clearly, mediotrusive contacts aren't something you want and can/will cause functioning cuspal damage if the contacts are heavy enough (eg. overcontoured restoration).

Can someone help clarify this for me?

I know as a whole Streptococcus Viridans encompasses normal flora as a whole and are responsible for subacute bacterial endocarditis. But is it a specific flora known to cause the infection of the heart valves? I've heard S. sanguis is the specific bug for this cause, but I wanted to double check since I can't find anything in my notes that specifically mentions this.

Are you talking about this question?? There were a lot of questions in this thread so w/o quotes its hard to know which one you're talking about...

If so, my understanding is that they're referring to the non-working side mandible movement or mediotrusive movement. Or more clearly, mediotrusive contacts aren't something you want and can/will cause functioning cuspal damage if the contacts are heavy enough (eg. overcontoured restoration).

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Excellent explanation! Thank you!

Would the answer be A since as mentioned fibrin is not a polysaccharide capsule? Also since S. aureus is typically the cause for pus/suppurative abscesses formed since the fibrin clots is anti-phagocytic and our bodies typically create the fibrotic walls around it making an abscess.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I agree with you. It is very clear in this book: "Clinical microbiology--made it ridiculously simple".

Can someone help clarify this for me?

I know as a whole Streptococcus Viridans encompasses normal flora as a whole and are responsible for subacute bacterial endocarditis. But is it a specific flora known to cause the infection of the heart valves? I've heard S. sanguis is the specific bug for this cause, but I wanted to double check since I can't find anything in my notes that specifically mentions this.

Acute bacteria endocarditis usually are caused by staphylococcus aureus;
Subacute endocarditis is caused by Viridan Strep.

Acute bacteria endocarditis usually are caused by staphylococcus aureus;
Subacute endocarditis is caused by Viridan Strep.

Isn't Strept Viridans just a group encompassing S. salivarius, S. mutans, etc rather than referring to a specific org?

I know in all of our classes only Strept Viridans was mentioned as being responsible for SBE. But I wasn't sure if the Board makers dug up some extra info to test us on, and S. Salivarus was the MAIN bug responsible.

Isn't Strept Viridans just a group encompassing S. salivarius, S. mutans, etc rather than referring to a specific org?

I know in all of our classes only Strept Viridans was mentioned as being responsible for SBE. But I wasn't sure if the Board makers dug up some extra info to test us on, and S. Salivarus was the MAIN bug responsible.

There is another group of streptococci called group D streptococci including (enterococcus faecalis and enterococcus faecium, Streptpcoccus bovis and streptococcus equinus). These four are also alpha-hemolytic but they are group D. Viridan Streptococcus have no lancefield antigen.

The two Enterococcus (enterococcus faecalis and enterococcus faecium) found in normal GI flora. They can cause urinary infection and subacute endocarditis too.

Hope this is the explanation to your question.

hey best of luk for results truth seeker .i hope you do gr8.keeep ur fingers crossed,for some 1 so helpful there is bound to be some good news for sure.hope to congratulate you soon!!do share your result!

Hey Aims...
What about u ,,u both gave ur exam recently,did u got ur results !! any way good luck for both of u guys (aims and truthseeker ) !!

considering my li'll knowledge in genetics , let me try .

lets say DNA - strand has 5' ACG 3' , right , thats wat u meant ?
corresponding codon on mRNA will have - UGC as u correctly mentioned but written as 5' CGU 3'
now tRNA 5' ACG 3'

pls correct me if am wrong !

t RNA will have GCA!

Q1 . Reactions that have unfavorable energetics (i.e +free energy) in metabolic pathways may be driven to completion by which of the following processes ?
-coupling.........................answer
-allosterism
-modifica

Q3. infusion of hypertonic NaCl solution will
- increase extracellular osmolarity only...............answer
- decrease intracellular osmolarity only
- decrease extracellular volume and increase extracellular volume
- increase both intracellular and extracellular volumes
- decrease both intracellular and extracellular volumes

Q4. Reflex after-discharge can be explained in terms of
- ant. horn cells
- afferent nerve fibers
- neuromuscular junction
- internuncial pool circuit....answer
- none of the above

Q7. If two vessels are connected in parallel, their total resistance to blood flow is
- the sum of their individual resistances
- the average of their individual resistances
- greater than if they were connected in series
- equal to the resistance of smaller vessel
- less than the resistance of either vessel........answer

Please explain the concepts related to these questions with answers. any help is greatly appreciated .
Reactions that have unfavorable energetics (i.e +free energy) in metabolic pathways may be driven to completion by which of the following processes ?
-coupling.........................answer
-allosterism
-modifica

Q3. infusion of hypertonic NaCl solution will
- increase extracellular osmolarity only...............answer
- decrease intracellular osmolarity only
- decrease extracellular volume and increase extracellular volume
- increase both intracellular and extracellular volumes
- decrease both intracellular and extracellular volumes

Q4. Reflex after-discharge can be explained in terms of
- ant. horn cells
- afferent nerve fibers
- neuromuscular junction
- internuncial pool circuit....answer
- none of the above

Q7. If two vessels are connected in parallel, their total resistance to blood flow is
- the sum of their individual resistances
- the average of their individual resistances
- greater than if they were connected in series
- equal to the resistance of smaller vessel
- less than the resistance of either vessel........answer

hey how about ur result?i have following this thread for long time.....i know truthseeker ,terminal and wadent all of u were working really hard?let me know ur scores if u dnt mind.
well wisher:thumbup:

hi wadent ,

Hope this helps.........