writing sample for apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applyingtograd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am first author on a paper (with multiple authors) that is currently under review. Should I use this as my writing sample for applications? Or would it be better to use an older piece of work (that is not as good and not going to be published) that I am sole author on?

Members don't see this ad.

Something else to consider is that you may want a writing sample that is representative of your solo work. They'll see your article in your CV and may look it up anyway. But journal articles are team efforts that go through multiple revisions, with multiple inputs. IMO, it may not necessarily a good example of your actual writing. Not saying that's the case here, but as someone reviewing applications, I want to see some solo writing too.

What kind of writing do the application instructions request?

For my sample, I submitted a lit review that I wrote for a class. The faculty commented favorably on it during my interview so I don't think it not being published/publishable hurt me at all.