Writing Sample Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4s4

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For this prompt: Creative inspiration, rather than careful planning, often results in the best solution to a problem, does anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda stuck =( Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

4s4 said:
For this prompt: Creative inspiration, rather than careful planning, often results in the best solution to a problem, does anyone have any ideas? I'm kinda stuck =( Thanks!

Define best solution is the one that explains the answer in a way we can understand it best and still retains correctness; ie a solution answers a question; define creative inspiration as moment of epiphany

Paragraph 1: Often, explanations are better understood when arrived at through moments of ephiphany rather than after meticulous calculation and experimentation. ex: newton and gravity and the apple; he'd been trying to calculate it and never understood it til apple; good solution because it was easy to grasp and explain

Paragraph 2: However, in some instances, explanations are best understood when arrived at through meticulous calculation. Ex: evolution and Lamarck v. Darwin; Lamarck claimed acquired characteristics w/no proof and it was believed until Darwin' s Origin of Species proved it wrong with piles of research ; here it is best solution because it was presented in way u can understand and it was correct

Paragraph 3: when does each apply: explanations arrived at through moments of ephiphany are often the best solution when it is an uncontroversial, relatively straightforward thing to grasp and explain correctly. however, in situations when there is something complex and controversial to explain or solve, meticulous calculation provides more evidence and thus is more successful in helping yourself and others understand it and proving your conclusion correct. thus, both apply in different situations.

i'm anal and tend to think of things different but hope this helps

4s4 said:

I think the example above is excellent
Another suggestion I think would be to tackle the word problem in different lights..
Creative inspiration may solve the problems pertaining to art...
insert example
Careful planning resolves scientific problems...
insert example...
Synthesis... when the problem is abstract in nature creativity is key, when problem is concrete and is that of physical laws then careful planning is needed...

Always remember you can spin the words in the prompt to mean what you want them to mean in order to best suit your examples...

Well thanks guys! That was awesome =) Somehow I just feel like I'm going to be soooo screwed =S

Does anyone want to look at my horrible essay? I don't know, maybe it'll help you guys realize what NOT to put? Haha, joking aside, if anyone can help me score it, I'll really be grateful =D I can do the same, though I'm not sure if anyone trusts me to give good advice lol.

Prompt:
The scientific pursuit of truth is flawed by economic and personal interests.

With a new "discovery" of a cancer-curing drug every week blaring through the headlines, people often become dubious about the validity of the claims and whether there are any other interests of the companies asdie from the scientific pursuit of the truth. To them, the truth is a set of unbiased unresults that are generated without the manipulation or falsification of information and indepenednet of any ulterior motives of the researcher for personal advancement or financial rewards. Unfortunately, although this is ideal, there have been scandals in the health care system in the past where drug companies have been found to falsify data in order to make the therapeutic effects of their drug seem more effective. Such actions inevitably flaw the scientific quest for the truth, as the information generated is not reliable and will not serve to either help solve a societal problem such as curing a wide-spread disease or provide the foundations for future scientific investigations to take place. If the researcher or company is more interested in the economical or personal ramifications rather than the scientific data, they are not conducting an objective pursuit of the truth.

However, there are cases where economic and personal interests may not flaw the validity of scientific research. Take into consideration a situation where the governmental health angecy sets up a study to analyze and evaluate the effects of five different drugs on the blood sugar levels of people with Type II Diabetes. in order to conudct the study objectively, they set four different groups of researchers to work on different areas of the study, namely: group A to prepare the placebo and treatment samples that subjets will ingest, group B to record the data by taking blood samples and running blood tests on them, group C to analyze the statistical correlations between variables, and group D to generate conclusions based on statistical analyses. Each group works independently of each other and without background knowledge of the companies who made the drug or what the study is ultimately trying to accomplish. Each scientist is given a strict protocol to follow and they will perform their tasks exactly as instructed. in this case, the experiment involves a number of economic and personal interests, such as the drug companies' source of revenue depending on whether their drug produces desirable resutls and the patients' interests in hopes of a drug that will cure their disease. However, these interests do not cloud the scientific pursuit of truth as the people or institutions with these interests do not have a direct role in influencing the results of the study. The individuals who are conducting the study and analyzing the results do not even know which companies are involved and any other specific information.

Hence, whether individual interests willl flaw the scientific pursuit of truth ultimately depends on whether there are a strict set of controls throughout the scientific investigation. As illustrated in the previous example, as long as there is a strong sense of rigidity in the method in which the investigation is conducted, then it does not matter whether there are any ramifications to economic and personal intersts as the results and the truth are not affected by these interests. However, once these controls are lost and the individual who is analyzing the results has evident extra interests outside the scope of simply finding the scientific truth, then the objectivity and validity of the results are put at risk and the interests of the individual are in fact clouding the research. In general, it is often not the economic and personal interests themselves that flaw the scientific pursuit of truth, but the lack fo a well-developed scientific method resulting in flase data and unreliable conclusions.