Writing sample item list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lixxx669

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think most of you guys have seen the offical writing sample item list: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm

Does anyone know is it true that all the ACTUAL writing question will be selected only from this pool?

Is it a good idea to study all of these items?

If it doesn't violate the forum's rule, I want to start a thread for everyone to talk about how they will tackle the specific items from this list.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most of you guys have seen the offical writing sample item list: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm

Does anyone know is it true that all the ACTUAL writing question will be selected only from this pool?

Is it a good idea to study all of these items?

If it doesn't violate the forum's rule, I want to start a thread for everyone to talk about how they will tackle the specific items from this list.

This would not violate any of the forum rules. The AAMC has mentioned on the page that, "Topics selected for use in MCATs will be similar or identical to those in this list." It would be a good idea to go over a few of these, but I would not recommend you to spend too much time on it.

At first I was thinking, "why not just go over all of them?" Then I scrolled down. Just pick some and write them up for practice. I wouldn't worry too much about any specific prompt because they usually ask you to write about the same things (discuss how statement is true, when it's false, and bring the two together). As Bloody mentioned, I wouldn't go over them all because it's not worth your time. Unless you live in Canada/are applying to Canadian med schools, the writing score does hold much weight.

i looked at that list the day before my test. as someone ealready mentioned....its forever long.

I read ONE example and though to myself "hmmm thats a weird word, i dont know what that means, that would suck to get something like that."

THE NEXT DAY THAT WAS MY EXACT PROMPT. I stared at it for about 5 minutes in disbelief, then proceeded to piss my pants. Then i got over the shock and bull****ted my way through it. So to answer your question, yes they pull from that list.