Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Writing sample item list

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by lixxx669, Jun 16, 2008.

1. lixxx669

lixxx669 5+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I think most of you guys have seen the offical writing sample item list: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/writingsampleitems.htm

Does anyone know is it true that all the ACTUAL writing question will be selected only from this pool?

Is it a good idea to study all of these items?

If it doesn't violate the forum's rule, I want to start a thread for everyone to talk about how they will tackle the specific items from this list.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. BloodySurgeon

BloodySurgeon Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2006
    hSDN Member
    hSDN Alumni
    This would not violate any of the forum rules. The AAMC has mentioned on the page that, "Topics selected for use in MCATs will be similar or identical to those in this list." It would be a good idea to go over a few of these, but I would not recommend you to spend too much time on it.
  4. SN2ed

SN2ed Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 27, 2007
    At first I was thinking, "why not just go over all of them?" Then I scrolled down. Just pick some and write them up for practice. I wouldn't worry too much about any specific prompt because they usually ask you to write about the same things (discuss how statement is true, when it's false, and bring the two together). As Bloody mentioned, I wouldn't go over them all because it's not worth your time. Unless you live in Canada/are applying to Canadian med schools, the writing score does hold much weight.
  5. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna 7+ Year Member

Dec 22, 2007
    i looked at that list the day before my test. as someone ealready mentioned....its forever long.

I read ONE example and though to myself "hmmm thats a weird word, i dont know what that means, that would suck to get something like that."

THE NEXT DAY THAT WAS MY EXACT PROMPT. I stared at it for about 5 minutes in disbelief, then proceeded to piss my pants. Then i got over the shock and bull****ted my way through it. So to answer your question, yes they pull from that list.