Writing Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StPlayrXtreme

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my score back, and I'm very happy with the numerical score

P- 12
V- 10
B- 12

But my writing sample was graded an M (I thought I did well, I'm not quite sure what happened)

I consider myself a pretty strong writer, and have done some work for on campus publications, and spent a long time crafting my personal statement.

Will medical schools care about my writing grade? or will they use my personal statement as a better indication of my writing ability?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of schools won't even look at your writing score, so I don't see it as a big issue. Other aspects of your application will matter a lot lot lot more. A total of 34 on the other sections is very good, and will really help you get an acceptance. That M is nothing to worry about imho.

I just got my score back, and I'm very happy with the numerical score

P- 12
V- 10
B- 12

But my writing sample was graded an M (I thought I did well, I'm not quite sure what happened)

I consider myself a pretty strong writer, and have done some work for on campus publications, and spent a long time crafting my personal statement.

Will medical schools care about my writing grade? or will they use my personal statement as a better indication of my writing ability?

I'm in the same position. I took the 7/10 MCAT and just found out I received an 11V, 11P, 12B but N on the writing. According to MSAR, this corresponds to the lowest 10th percentile of acceptees at most schools and at some top schools < 10th.

I've always heard, albeit second-hand, that as long as it's not a J or K, its fine. I'm wondering if this is truly the case.

ok...so I guess nothing to worry about.

My personal statement is easily the most polished composition I've ever written....so hopefully they will read the personal statement and note that the MCAT isn't a good reflection of my writing ability.

I'm still kind of dumbfounded. Writing has always been one of my strong suits...and I did a few practice essays, and they were all scored well by my Kaplan instructor.

But I guess it doesn't really matter

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I've always been a good writer and I even have a publication out. I was worried about PS but never about the WS. I thought I had written my essays fairly well, if not great, and was expecting at least an average score. I guess some things just don't turn out as one would expect. Perhaps we didn't answer the prompt completely. It's also interesting that I took the GRE this same year and the analytical writing section is analogous to MCAT WS. I ended up getting a 5 out of 6 (I guess equivalent to an R) and it's not like my writing has changed much in a few months.

And what about a regrade of the WS for $50. I wonder if that has ever resulted in a changed score. Unfortunately, it can take up to 4 months according to the website and I'm applying now.

I've heard that a lot of the times the adcoms, if they even look at it, don't even know how to interpret the writing score. I wouldn't worry at all. Go for the regrade if it's only $50 and you're really worried.

12P 11V 11B

WS L

will the writing section result in an automatic rejection at some places?

12P 11V 11B

WS L

will the writing section result in an automatic rejection at some places?

Did you write full essays addressing all three tasks and exploring them fully?

I read somewhere that the MCAT CBT is scored by a computer and a human and averaged - I'm wondering about the computer...

If you give them $50 for a re-score is it by a human or computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.