Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Writing Stinks

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by JennieLeigh, Apr 30, 2002.

1. JennieLeigh

JennieLeigh Member
    7+ Year Member

For my personal statement should I just stick with....why medicine and why DO?

Is that okay...or are they looking for somehting else.

I just don't know how to be unique...with something so bland.

Jennie

2. AnnaA

AnnaA Member
    7+ Year Member

I would suggest getting a book. I got one at barnes and nobel for about 10 dollars. It helped me figure out what to say and how to say it. I know its hard, but really, try and be as unique as you can. Open with a story or a personal experience, something like that.

3. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would include some "Why D.O." details about yourself also. At my interview at one DO school, they mentioned that they like this, especially important for students who apply both MD and DO, so they know you wrote a separate essay for them. It helps get you out of the "wanna-be MD" category if you applied to both.

4. andrea

10+ Year Member

Hey Jennie,
    Here's my advice: start out with a personal example, one where you used the qualities that you want to exemplify. I feel you'll grab their attention the most by starting out this way. This was the structure I used for my essay last year:

1st paragraph: example and thesis
    Middle p's: talk about your qualities and experience
    Conclusion: sum it up

Best wishes to you!